Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Apr 28, 2019 at 9:20 AM Post #2,401 of 12,011
You are a hero

If being a descent human being is heroic then I guess so?
Should be the default setting though...not heroic:D

Apr 28, 2019 at 10:29 AM Post #2,404 of 12,011
So when you crank volume.. do you crank bass too? I find with a nice subbass boost, cranking the volume lands the KPE right in a perfect balance. Then again, I do this for every IEM. I love bass and since I play live music, I want to hear bass with authority and needs to be the underlying foundation of the rest of the music. But yes the KPE has much more treble detail than the 800. Does it matter, not really. I mean multiBA iems have way way higher treble peaks.

Apr 28, 2019 at 10:58 AM Post #2,405 of 12,011
So when you crank volume.. do you crank bass too? I find with a nice subbass boost, cranking the volume lands the KPE right in a perfect balance. Then again, I do this for every IEM. I love bass and since I play live music, I want to hear bass with authority and needs to be the underlying foundation of the rest of the music. But yes the KPE has much more treble detail than the 800. Does it matter, not really. I mean multiBA iems have way way higher treble peaks.
They do indeed. And I agree with you re the bass being the foundation of the rest of the music. Yes I do tend to crank the bass a touch and did on KP...and interestingly on EX800 I crank the treble too (so much for treble harshness eh)! Treble is very important of course.
Where bass is the foundation and spine of the music, treble forms the basis of airiness and soundstaging...the landscape and shape of the track to some extent. But done wrong, or overdone it can be really nasty - especially in an IEM where the eardrum is so close the the music. I'm quite treble sensitive which is why I wanted to correct the perception of EX800's treble issue. I couldn't stand DM6 for its treble. But I gather there's been an issue with some of those. Guess that's why I tend to stick with DD's for the most part. (But I have my eye, and ear, on the DM7!! :wink:

Apr 28, 2019 at 11:21 AM Post #2,407 of 12,011
Back to Moondrop. I've been using the A8s now for a week, 3-4 hours a day. They are my favorite IEMs ever. Couple reasons but mostly because the tuning suits my ears so well. Moondrop really has the Harman stuff down.

Apr 28, 2019 at 11:46 AM Post #2,408 of 12,011
Back to Moondrop. I've been using the A8s now for a week, 3-4 hours a day. They are my favorite IEMs ever. Couple reasons but mostly because the tuning suits my ears so well. Moondrop really has the Harman stuff down.

How do they compare to the KPEs?

Apr 28, 2019 at 11:46 AM Post #2,409 of 12,011
How are they compared to dm6 you had. Treble is tuned well not harsh but how about bass? Do they have enough quantity? I wanted to get these but price a little bit too high for me, so now possibly dm7 will be cheaper alternative to these from early comment.

Apr 28, 2019 at 11:50 AM Post #2,410 of 12,011
They are more similar to the KPE in tuning but they have the OCD detail of the DM6, but better. The high treble is not as high as the DM6.. and still has OCD detail. Bass is actually completely amazing but you would need to EQ to get the slam of a dynamic. I do that and the bass is very satisfying. Focus is probably on sub bass vs mid. The mids SING on the A8. I far prefer them to the DM6. Overall, its a nice step up and in price.. haha.

[edit] directly compared to the KPE, pretty much an upgrade in every area, soundstage, mids, treble extension. Sub bass and bass probably go to the KPE because it is a dynamic and has really good lows but it isn't drastic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 28, 2019 at 12:04 PM Post #2,411 of 12,011
They are more similar to the KPE in tuning but they have the OCD detail of the DM6, but better. The high treble is not as high as the DM6.. and still has OCD detail. Bass is actually completely amazing but you would need to EQ to get the slam of a dynamic. I do that and the bass is very satisfying. Focus is probably on sub bass vs mid. The mids SING on the A8. I far prefer them to the DM6. Overall, its a nice step up and in price.. haha.

[edit] directly compared to the KPE, pretty much an upgrade in every area, soundstage, mids, treble extension. Sub bass and bass probably go to the KPE because it is a dynamic and has really good lows but it isn't drastic.
This answered all questions for me, nice info i got, thanks. And from this it looks like my way of tunning. Bass is very easy to tune with es100 equalizer which really works amazingly for me. So my ideal tuning would be kpe tuning (it is really so easy to ears) but with dm6 details and if a8 has it - then this is my goal. Perhaps dm7 will be because of price

Apr 28, 2019 at 12:11 PM Post #2,412 of 12,011
Yeah I tune the bass with the ES100 as well. My settings for the A8 are 31.5hz @ +5.6db, 63hz @ 4.3db. The rest perfectly flat.

The a8 is pretty well exactly what you describe you want. KPE tuning but with all BAs and way better OCD detail.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2019 at 1:05 PM Post #2,413 of 12,011
Have you guys properly burned them in ?
KPEs felt slightly on the brighter side before burn in. Now they sound more towards warm. I don't feel they are bright at all. They have such effortless clarity with realism. I feel good whenever I listen to them. Maybe the source matters here.

Apr 28, 2019 at 1:25 PM Post #2,415 of 12,011
Screenshot_2019-04-28-13-24-22.png
Screenshot_2019-04-28-13-24-12.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back