Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Apr 2, 2019 at 5:00 PM Post #2,015 of 12,007
Can anyone clue me in on how well the Kanas or KPE prevent sound leakage? I know they isolate well, but I need a politely not-noisy IEM for an office environment. Thanks!

Apr 2, 2019 at 5:55 PM Post #2,016 of 12,007
The KPE is full metal so it will not leak sound at all. If you are worried, get some either foam tips or triple flange. I can't think of another way to get more isolation. I would not however, plug the extremely tiny port holes. They are there to balance atmospheric pressure and also pressure from insertion.

Apr 2, 2019 at 6:21 PM Post #2,017 of 12,007
The KPE is full metal so it will not leak sound at all. If you are worried, get some either foam tips or triple flange. I can't think of another way to get more isolation. I would not however, plug the extremely tiny port holes. They are there to balance atmospheric pressure and also pressure from insertion.

Also, if you can get your hands on either Sony Hybrids or MandarinES Symbio tips they'll provide even better isolation and comfort, but all of them have some trade-offs when it comes to SQ, so... it's highly personal.

At least to me:
Foam = tames treble a bit too much
Triple-flange = it's a hit or miss regarding comfort and sound
hybrids = the sound can get too warm and mask details

I think stock ones did a great job and it suits me well, I got the most balanced sound in all the spectrum and isolation is good if the volume is medium-high.

Apr 2, 2019 at 6:44 PM Post #2,018 of 12,007
Comply foam all the way :) It works very well with KPE for me.

Apr 2, 2019 at 7:13 PM Post #2,019 of 12,007

Thanks for the response. I feel like the Kanas might be the outdoor IEM for me then!

Also, if you can get your hands on either Sony Hybrids or MandarinES Symbio tips they'll provide even better isolation and comfort, but all of them have some trade-offs when it comes to SQ, so... it's highly personal.

At least to me:
Foam = tames treble a bit too much
Triple-flange = it's a hit or miss regarding comfort and sound
hybrids = the sound can get too warm and mask details

I think stock ones did a great job and it suits me well, I got the most balanced sound in all the spectrum and isolation is good if the volume is medium-high.

Unfortunately, the only eartips that fit me are the "L" JVC Spiral Dots, so I'm stuck with whatever sound they provide. Luckily, they usually make the most of the IEM's default sound. With the Kanas or KPE, I'm pretty sure that I can use the EQ to reduce any troubling treble peaks and still get decent response from the bass and mids.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2019 at 7:43 PM Post #2,020 of 12,007
Spacer mod? I'll try anything in the book to make my kanas pro better.
KiAI7JG.jpg

1HUs3w3.jpg

Just get a pair of scissors and cut the stem off one of the stock tips. Make sure not to cover any vents. Keep enough space for your eartips to grip onto the nozzle. Good luck, you get five attempts. :)

BTW, Enigma is a bliss to listen to with the Kanas Pros. Currently listening to the 45 rpm vinyl of Principles of Lust. has a nice soundstage and imaging.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2019 at 7:51 PM Post #2,021 of 12,007
Thanks for the response. I feel like the Kanas might be the outdoor IEM for me then!

Unfortunately, the only eartips that fit me are the "L" JVC Spiral Dots, so I'm stuck with whatever sound they provide. Luckily, they usually make the most of the IEM's default sound. With the Kanas or KPE, I'm pretty sure that I can use the EQ to reduce any troubling treble peaks and still get decent response from the bass and mids.

I used mine all winter outside running and never had problems. I can say though, that people that sweat a lot have problems with water condensation in the filter/screen on the KPE. They say once it dries out its fine but when wet causes muting. I don't sweat in my ears, so no problems. Also, with triple flange tips running is the most peaceful quiet experience ever. It actually caught me off guard how good it was.

Apr 2, 2019 at 7:58 PM Post #2,022 of 12,007
I used mine all winter outside running and never had problems. I can say though, that people that sweat a lot have problems with water condensation in the filter/screen on the KPE. They say once it dries out its fine but when wet causes muting. I don't sweat in my ears, so no problems. Also, with triple flange tips running is the most peaceful quiet experience ever. It actually caught me off guard how good it was.
Survived one of the coldest winters in the world (St John's) solely with the Kanas pro. Still kicking like a champ.

Apr 2, 2019 at 10:47 PM Post #2,023 of 12,007

Good to know. I haven't had that issue with my old LZ A4 ,which was also known for condensation in the filter issues. These will mostly be used in a temperature controlled environment, so excessive perspiration shouldn't be a huge problem. I have those budget Panasonic IEMs that I use on occasion as a beater. Still the best damn $10 earphones I've ever heard.

Apr 3, 2019 at 12:13 AM Post #2,024 of 12,007
KiAI7JG.jpg

1HUs3w3.jpg

Just get a pair of scissors and cut the stem off one of the stock tips. Make sure not to cover any vents. Keep enough space for your eartips to grip onto the nozzle. Good luck, you get five attempts. :)

BTW, Enigma is a bliss to listen to with the Kanas Pros. Currently listening to the 45 rpm vinyl of Principles of Lust. has a nice soundstage and imaging.
Are you sure you are not blocking the front vent? It looks like the stem is covering it, which would increase bass response, possibly create pressure during fitting and create driver flex. Just to make sure....

Apr 3, 2019 at 1:21 AM Post #2,025 of 12,007
KiAI7JG.jpg

1HUs3w3.jpg

Thanks alot! Will definitely try this and in what way is this supposed to impact the sound again aha?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back