Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Apr 2, 2019 at 7:45 AM Post #1,996 of 12,011
if you are serious about this hobby, one thing I would very much reccomened is, from time to time go to a classical concert - in a properly tuned concert hall if possible -
and just listen to everything carefully - the lows, mids, highs, the balance, timbre, the feel of the notes
Im saying this because what I am looking for and maybe what everyone is looking for is that 'perfect' headphone that replicates how acoustic music for example not
only sounds but feels in real life. Ive had this experience a few times and it is extraordinary!!

This is a really important point - what reference we are all using, and I wholeheartedly agree with @jon parker that classic concerts are the ultimate reference. The complexity of the huge range of instruments, brass, strings, flutes, drums etc. is maybe the toughtest thing to reproduce. The closest IEM sound I heard to a real performance in a good concert hall was the JVC Victor HA-FW10000. That was impressively real.

Apr 2, 2019 at 7:48 AM Post #1,997 of 12,011
I have only had a short listen to the Oxygen in a shop, and in comparison to the KPE.
The statements here sum it up quite nicely, I noted in my mind that the Oxygen comes across as more "balanced" which IMO matches the observations of fuller male voices, and also that as such it could potentially be a little dull in comparison to the KPE which has a distinct emphasis and glow in the upper mids paired with that weighty sub bass. IMO it comes down to the choice between the KPE having a very distinct character/coloring and the Oxygen being more balanced (I don't want to call them neutral, since that sounds like "lean") As such, I found the KPE more unusual and special, the Oxygen maybe a safer choice for a wide range of music.
Absolutely agree with everything here! Btw, I have just realised that you also have the sony MDR ex800 and have also tried the oxygens aswell. How would you compare them in general?

Apr 2, 2019 at 7:53 AM Post #1,998 of 12,011
@HAMS - I wouldn't disagree with that. Maybe better to say then 'sounding like a speaker on a studio recording' but with the 'feeling' of a live performance? (for me anyway :)
I just feel that for myself, music is an emotive interaction between the musician and their instrument - When that is captured well and the headphone can present that I
have a profound emotive experience which FEELS wonderful but when the same thing happens in a technical sense I really enjoy aspects of the audio itself and I love HEARING the
excellent quaities of - soundstage, positioning, timbre etc etc

A little off-topic - but you should really listen to Friedrich Kleinhapl playing his Cello...
I watched him playing one time and the way he play his cello at times felt like watching a lover caressing his woman, and then it looked like he wanted to saw the cello in half with the bow :)
Pure emotions. And when I listen to his recordings, these memories are part of the listening experience. That's another reason for going to live concerts. The memories come alive when we hear the music.

Apr 2, 2019 at 7:54 AM Post #1,999 of 12,011
No compassion between the EX800 and the Kanas pro. KP is like an expensive novelty Xmas cracker where as the EX800 is like a full Turkey dinner !
Like listening to your home hi fi and then going into a studio and listening to your music through their monitor speakers - Its a whole other level
The EX 800 is a headphone I will never sell

Apr 2, 2019 at 8:02 AM Post #2,000 of 12,011
No compassion between the EX800 and the Kanas pro. KP is like an expensive novelty Xmas cracker where as the EX800 is like a full Turkey dinner !
Like listening to your home hi fi and then going into a studio and listening to your music through their monitor speakers - Its a whole other level
The EX 800 is a headphone I will never sell
Ok wasn't expecting that aha...then I may even cancel my order of the oxygen and hope @surfgeorge will do a comparison of oxygen Vs Sony MDR ex800 as I can get both for the exact same price right now. Toranku said the the ex800 has more stage and more bodied vocals whilst being clear.

Apr 2, 2019 at 8:07 AM Post #2,001 of 12,011
Absolutely agree with everything here! Btw, I have just realised that you also have the sony MDR ex800 and have also tried the oxygens aswell. How would you compare them in general?

Going a bit off-topic here and I have to go by memory for the Oxygen, but the MDR-EX800ST is a power-IEM for me, there's nothing shy about it, it's powerful and clear, bottom to top. Not the last word in refinement for me though, rather honest and direct, like it or not. The Oxygen didn't particularly stand out in comparison to all the high-end IEMs I listened to the same day. Safe and balanced sound. But I didn't give it nearly the time and focus it deserves. I would actually really like to have it for a longer period of time.

Apr 2, 2019 at 8:46 AM Post #2,002 of 12,011
Going a bit off-topic here and I have to go by memory for the Oxygen, but the MDR-EX800ST is a power-IEM for me, there's nothing shy about it, it's powerful and clear, bottom to top. Not the last word in refinement for me though, rather honest and direct, like it or not. The Oxygen didn't particularly stand out in comparison to all the high-end IEMs I listened to the same day. Safe and balanced sound. But I didn't give it nearly the time and focus it deserves. I would actually really like to have it for a longer period of time.

Thats a good way to describe the EX800's - They are tuned specifically for Sound engineers so they are not tuned to dazzle or show off - they give you what is there. In terms of power - everything in the mix is clear and balanced , nothing gets hidden. They are a rare IEM in the sense that they sometimes seem to be able to 'fix' less than perfect audio
To be fair, im coming from the side of someone who works with audio - in this sense, for me, they are phenomenal. They are a bit like good studio monitors
For the price you can find them they are a no brainer. If you look at Crinnacles IEM list they are way up near the top with other IEM's that are in the $1000's
Its impossible to say whether any IEM will suit someone but . . .if you tend to enjoy and appreciate the technical side of recordings as well as the music then you need to buy yourself a set of these!

Apr 2, 2019 at 8:50 AM Post #2,003 of 12,011
Ok wasn't expecting that aha...then I may even cancel my order of the oxygen and hope @surfgeorge will do a comparison of oxygen Vs Sony MDR ex800 as I can get both for the exact same price right now. Toranku said the the ex800 has more stage and more bodied vocals whilst being clear.

As I mention below - if you also enjoy listening to the technical aspects of recordings as well as the music itself then I would 100% recommend you go for the EX800's. If you are 'only' a music lover then the Oxygens may be more fun
depends on your set up as well to some extent. What Toranku says I agree with but I feel there is a lot more to the EX800's than the Oxygens will deliver. I haven't heard the Oxygens but Boy! have I heard the EX800's
Put it this way, you won't be able to find any Ex800's second hand . . .

Apr 2, 2019 at 11:13 AM Post #2,004 of 12,011
My goal was to make enough to buy the Moondrop A8 in the last few days. I met my goal so the order has been placed:
574311_5d8c78ea7bcf4cde95e4e78a422f0256~mv2.webp

Man does that look super nice.

I did order the 2.5mm balanced cable and also got the logos in english.

Apr 2, 2019 at 11:28 AM Post #2,005 of 12,011
My goal was to make enough to buy the Moondrop A8 in the last few days. I met my goal so the order has been placed:

Why would you do that :D , i personally find the Chinese logo DOPE !

Do you have a pic for the English one, or how it looks on both ear pieces ?

Congratulations, hope you like em !!

Apr 2, 2019 at 11:56 AM Post #2,006 of 12,011

Nice can't wait here your impressions, I wish I could have had the option of picking the 2.5mm balanced cable with my KPEs. I don't know what balanced sources you have but if you're still interested in the es100 you'll be able to run them balanced over ldac with surprising power and sound paired with your G7.
Also now you can try the A8s balanced cable with the KPEs and share your thoughts.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2019 at 12:31 PM Post #2,007 of 12,011
Here is about the best pics I could find with the english logo.
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

I got that because while the chinese logo does look cool, I would prefer to 'advertise' what they are to my english speaking friends.
I have the KPE with non balanced Lyre Pansy cable, so I got the balanced version of that for the A8. I can swap the 2. A great idea and I'm really glad someone recommended that!

If I do go balanced It will definitely be with the ES100! Seems like a wonderful device and I like the portability very much.

I have a few IEMs to compare with. Sennheiser over the ear HD600s, BGVP DM6, Velodyne Vpulse, Samsung phone IEMs, Kanas Pro, and JBL and KRK studio monitors along with a 12" studio subwoofer.

Apr 2, 2019 at 12:55 PM Post #2,008 of 12,011
Thanks a lot for this, straight to the point and just what I was hoping to hear. From all the comments I have seen it seems as though the tanchjim oxygen definitely has a soundstage advantage and better male vocals but only slightly duller sounding overall when compared to the kpe which I don't mind. I will now place an order for these and will do a comparison with my kpe once they have arrived.

@CoiL I have asked many users regarding the kpe before purchasing them and more users then not have stated slightly thin male vocals which I do experience aswell. I currently have it tape modded with silicone tips which did improve it a bit but I would generally class them more towards lean sounding.
Tape mods will tame the signature, it's known. Try the spacer mod. It works. You arent using the stock tips anyway, so what's stopping you? :wink:

Apr 2, 2019 at 12:57 PM Post #2,009 of 12,011

Users who are viewing this thread

Back