Moon Nēo 430HA Reference Headphone Amplifier
Dec 3, 2016 at 5:20 PM Post #1,352 of 1,920
Regarding the dual 3 pin and 4 pin outs on the Moon Neo, did you notice any audible difference? 

I don't  understand the concept of the dual 3 pin for headphones. I know that the 3rd pin (ground) is not connected for headphones. It is only connected in the case of microphones. So is this just a gimmick? 

Dec 3, 2016 at 6:03 PM Post #1,353 of 1,920
  Regarding the dual 3 pin and 4 pin outs on the Moon Neo, did you notice any audible difference? 

I don't  understand the concept of the dual 3 pin for headphones. I know that the 3rd pin (ground) is not connected for headphones. It is only connected in the case of microphones. So is this just a gimmick? 

i was told from a sales advisor at headphone.com that there is no (ZERO) difference in sound quality between a single 4-pin and a dual 3-pin.  can a brother get a confirm or deny?

if so - IMO, just go with the convenience of the 4-pin.   i just hooked up a 4-pin XLR Moon Audio Black Dragon cable for my Utopia and i like it a lot already.  the price was eye-watering, but whatever, it's done and it sounds great.  

Dec 3, 2016 at 6:07 PM Post #1,354 of 1,920

i was told from a sales advisor at headphone.com that there is no (ZERO) difference in sound quality between a single 4-pin and a dual 3-pin.  can a brother get a confirm or deny?

if so - IMO, just go with the convenience of the 4-pin.   i just hooked up a 4-pin XLR Moon Audio Black Dragon cable for my Utopia and i like it a lot already.  the price was eye-watering, but whatever, it's done and it sounds great.  

What do you mean by connivence? 
It is already connected to the device, so no troubles.
Just asking to explore different points of view. 

How is the Moon with Utopia? Did u notice any improvement with the new cable compared to stock? 

Dec 4, 2016 at 12:05 AM Post #1,355 of 1,920

I have been wondering if there is any difference in SQ between single 4-pin and dual 3-pin. I obtained a pre-owned ALO Audio cable for my modded HE-500s that had dual 3-pin, so just used it as it is.

Dec 4, 2016 at 1:55 AM Post #1,356 of 1,920
I have been wondering if there is any difference in SQ between single 4-pin and dual 3-pin. I obtained a pre-owned ALO Audio cable for my modded HE-500s that had dual 3-pin, so just used it as it is.

There might maybe be some infinitesimally better crosstalk measurements with a dual 3-pin. Or if you have particularly long headphone cables through a noisy environment, then a pair of shielded 3-pin cables might be better. Overall nothing to worry about.

Dec 4, 2016 at 8:49 AM Post #1,357 of 1,920

There might maybe be some infinitesimally better crosstalk measurements with a dual 3-pin. Or if you have particularly long headphone cables through a noisy environment, then a pair of shielded 3-pin cables might be better. Overall nothing to worry about.

Better due to the availability of the 3rd pin (ground)?
I have been told that it is not connected in the case of headphones!

Dec 4, 2016 at 9:07 AM Post #1,358 of 1,920
I am quoting from this web page:
https://robrobinette.com/BalancedCable.htm

Can someone explain?

"Many headphone amps have a pair of 3-Pin XLR connectors. For the Left XLR connector you connect the L+ to Pin 2, L- to Pin 3 and the cable shield to the XLR connector's ground lug. Connecting the cable shield to the ground lug will provide RFI noise protection for the cable. Pin 1 does not need to be connected to ground for a headphone cable (it's there for microphones and other audio gear). The Right XLR connector would be R+ to Pin 2, R- to Pin 3 and the cable shield to the ground lug.
If you wish to use one headphone cable and Y the cable to the XLR connectors and/or the ear cups I recommend using Canare Star Quad or Gotham Mini Quad cable. Remove the rubber outside layer and shield for the cable Y, you'll need about 17 inches for the ear cup Y and around 6 inches for the XLR Y. Unravel the 4 conductor wires and then twist them into right and left pairs going to the ear cups and/or XLR connectors. You can cover the cable split with a couple inches of heat-shrink tube to dress up the cable. I also recommend heat-shrink for the XLR end of the cable Y to enhance the grip of the XLR connector's strain relief clamp.
A nice finishing touch is to braid the 4 wires for a couple of inches. I did this for my HE-500 balanced headphone cable. I used the braiding technique detailed in the following section."

Dec 4, 2016 at 9:50 AM Post #1,359 of 1,920
I have dual 3 pin and single 4 pin cables for my AudioQuest NightHawks. There is no sonic difference with the 430HAD. Originally there were few 4 pin balanced jacks. Now they are everywhere. Certainly simpler than the original 3 pin option but no sound difference that I can detect. YMMV.

Dec 4, 2016 at 11:19 AM Post #1,360 of 1,920
  What do you mean by connivence? 
It is already connected to the device, so no troubles.
Just asking to explore different points of view. 

How is the Moon with Utopia? Did u notice any improvement with the new cable compared to stock? 

it's more convenient because if you're switching headphones a lot, it's easier to plug/unplug one cord than two.  

Utopia is glorious on the Moon.  due to the insane resolution aptitude of the Utopia, it demands a superior amp despite it being "easy to drive".  the Moon is great for both the Utopia and LCD-4, for different reasons.

i did notice an increase in sound quality with the balanced Black Dragon feeding the Utopia.  but i think that is probably more due to it being a balanced cord than due to any Black Dragon magic.  provides better bass and a wider soundstage, which helps the Utopia's possibly only downside (small soundstage).  

Dec 4, 2016 at 12:05 PM Post #1,361 of 1,920
  Better due to the availability of the 3rd pin (ground)?
I have been told that it is not connected in the case of headphones!

No, better simply due to the separation of the wires as crosstalk occurs when signal from one wires bleeds into a neighbouring one or if they share a ground connection somewhere. It's really negligible, but I'll mention it for the sake of being pedantic.

In a 3-pin XLR, usually pin1 is connected to shield (and pin1 is frequently connected to chassis in the device). This is standard for microphone and line level balanced connection. This is assuming that you made the cable with something that actually has a shield around the wires. A "third wire" is not going to do anything here. In a 4-pin XLR, there is no pin used for shield. You could perhaps connected shield (if you had one) to the barrel, but there is no standard here.

In headphone use, there is really very little need for shielding. If for some reason you had a 30' headphone cable crossing over a ton of other signal and power lines, then shielding would perhaps help.

Dec 4, 2016 at 3:37 PM Post #1,362 of 1,920
I love my 430 and have been using it with my Dave and LCD-4...up until now I have been using my Utopia straight out of the Dave but found it to be a bit bright and with a narrow soundstage...I recently have been experimenting with the 430 along with my Utopia and the results have thus far been very nice.The soundstage opens up,the bass is a bit deeper and it is not quite so bright.Yes,I recognize that there is going to be a slight loss of transparency and yes i understand that the 430 imparts a bit of its own sound but the combination is an improvement to my ears and quite stunning actually! 

Dec 4, 2016 at 4:03 PM Post #1,363 of 1,920
  I love my 430 and have been using it with my Dave and LCD-4...up until now I have been using my Utopia straight out of the Dave but found it to be a bit bright and with a narrow soundstage...I recently have been experimenting with the 430 along with my Utopia and the results have thus far been very nice.The soundstage opens up,the bass is a bit deeper and it is not quite so bright.Yes,I recognize that there is going to be a slight loss of transparency and yes i understand that the 430 imparts a bit of its own sound but the combination is an improvement to my ears and quite stunning actually! 

Sorry for double posting but let us keep it here at the Moon's thread.

Still bright on the Moon? as you said "not quite so bright".

The Moon is dead natural with no house sound. 

Dec 5, 2016 at 11:30 AM Post #1,364 of 1,920
Does the Moon Neo have any kind of power conditioning ability in it?  

or should i look into getting a power conditioner and surge protector like a Panamax or a Bryston BIT 15?

Dec 5, 2016 at 11:34 AM Post #1,365 of 1,920
  Does the Moon Neo have any kind of power conditioning ability in it?  

or should i look into getting a power conditioner and surge protector like a Panamax or a Bryston BIT 15?

This is a good question and I am interested to know. 

Personally I use surge protector (nothing fancy 50 dollars), but I would like to know if a conditioner will make any sonic improvements. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back