Moon Nēo 430HA Reference Headphone Amplifier
Dec 1, 2016 at 11:26 PM Post #1,336 of 1,920
do you have a recommendation?

I use a full Nordost cabling loom. Re: single power cord -- from a relative price perspective for the 430HA the Nordost Heimdall 2 makes sense. I use a combined Tyr 2/Heimdall 2 loom, but the Tyr 2 power cord, by itself, is more than the cost of the 430HA.

Dec 1, 2016 at 11:39 PM Post #1,337 of 1,920

I use a full Nordost cabling loom. Re: single power cord -- from a relative price perspective for the 430HA the Nordost Heimdall 2 makes sense. I use a combined Tyr 2/Heimdall 2 loom, but the Tyr 2 power cord, by itself, is more than the cost of the 430HA.

Yeah, you could easily get carried away with expensive power cable. They do make it sound better, but the cost/performance ratio greatly depreciate at certain price point. 
The good thing about power cables I find is that once I found a good one in the 2nd hand market, I tend to keep it for many years as you can always use it on other components.
Can't say that for audio components, they come and go on nearly on regular basis.

Dec 1, 2016 at 11:41 PM Post #1,338 of 1,920
I would suggest the people that haven't used power cables before on the moon 430 had to try it. Many stores in US have trial period with money back if not satisfied. I see that you can always try it out on your system. If you can't hear the difference or dont feel it warrants the extra cost, then you can always send it back. 

Dec 2, 2016 at 12:15 AM Post #1,339 of 1,920
  I would suggest the people that haven't used power cables before on the moon 430 had to try it. Many stores in US have trial period with money back if not satisfied. I see that you can always try it out on your system. If you can't hear the difference or dont feel it warrants the extra cost, then you can always send it back. 

So you changed the fuse and got new power cable.
Which cable? What sonic changes you experiencing? 

Dec 2, 2016 at 12:33 AM Post #1,340 of 1,920

So you changed the fuse and got new power cable.
Which cable? What sonic changes you experiencing? 

I actually been a power cable believer a long time ago, pretty much any audio components that I buy will be using after market power cable as I find the stock cable chokes the performance for any hi end gears. 
The fuse is new territory for me as I didn't even think such small object in the component can make a difference, i stumbled acrossed it when I was reading the Bricasti M1 ($12k AUD DAC) that people get good results from changing out the stock fuses with the after market one. So I decided to be a bit open minded and tried out some cheaper aftermarket ones (fuses can range from $1 to $200). I went for the $20 ones so if it doesn't make any difference, I wont be out of pocket that much.
But it turns out that it does make a difference, so I'll be keeping them in there.

The usual suspect of sonic changes are (fuller mid range, wider soundstaging, stronger bass). Also I think it reduces distortion as I find I can turn it up a few dBs and it wont be fatiguing, but I dont have measurements to back that theory.
Anyway, I know there are measurements that disprove it, but like Theorist mentioned earlier, I trust my ears and my own judgement. At the end of the day, it is me that is spending the money on these so call "tweaks". 

Dec 2, 2016 at 12:49 AM Post #1,341 of 1,920

I actually been a power cable believer a long time ago, pretty much any audio components that I buy will be using after market power cable as I find the stock cable chokes the performance for any hi end gears. 
The fuse is new territory for me as I didn't even think such small object in the component can make a difference, i stumbled acrossed it when I was reading the Bricasti M1 ($12k AUD DAC) that people get good results from changing out the stock fuses with the after market one. So I decided to be a bit open minded and tried out some cheaper aftermarket ones (fuses can range from $1 to $200). I went for the $20 ones so if it doesn't make any difference, I wont be out of pocket that much.
But it turns out that it does make a difference, so I'll be keeping them in there.

The usual suspect of sonic changes are (fuller mid range, wider soundstaging, stronger bass). Also I think it reduces distortion as I find I can turn it up a few dBs and it wont be fatiguing, but I dont have measurements to back that theory.
Anyway, I know there are measurements that disprove it, but like Theorist mentioned earlier, I trust my ears and my own judgement. At the end of the day, it is me that is spending the money on these so call "tweaks". 

Which after market you are using with the moon? 

Dec 3, 2016 at 4:41 AM Post #1,347 of 1,920
Using AMR fuses... I will use Synergistic Research Black in mine.

Actually forgot to mention for some reason (not sure the technical explanation) but if the fuse sounds weird or flat/soft. Just swap its orientation and you should get better SQ.
When I first put my one in, it sounded flat and soft. Then I swap the orientation of the fuse and everything turned better. 

Dec 3, 2016 at 4:45 AM Post #1,349 of 1,920
Actually forgot to mention for some reason (not sure the technical explanation) but if the fuse sounds weird or flat/soft. Just swap its orientation and you should get better SQ.
When I first put my one in, it sounded flat and soft. Then I swap the orientation of the fuse and everything turned better. 

+1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back