Montreal GT meet
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 18, 2013 at 1:07 PM Post #61 of 76
Quote:
So... who's going to Salon son et image next month? Looking at the list of brands (http://www.salonsonimage.com/EN/Visitors/brands.html) that will be there, we have:
Audeze
Beyerdynamic
Grado
Sennheiser
STAX :)
Woo Audio - actually an exhibitor!

Audio Note
Bryston
Cardas
Focal (hopefully with their new headphone)
Fostex
Moon Audio

Seems like a lot of fun. And trouble for everybody's wallet! I may visit if college allows me to take a day off this week end. It would be a nice break though, doing something radically different than studying for a day.

I can't help but notice Denon's absence, which is weird considering they have such a large offering and not only in headphones.

Now the question is, should I bring my own headphones to try the different sources... 

Feb 18, 2013 at 1:14 PM Post #62 of 76
Ohh audez'e is actually going to be there this year, interesting. Hopefully I'll get to ask them about upcoming products. HiFiMAN was there last year, I actually spent time at the booth explaining some of their phones.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Feb 18, 2013 at 6:23 PM Post #63 of 76
I don't know that Audeze will actually be there - just a store that is displaying Audeze products.

Feb 18, 2013 at 7:23 PM Post #64 of 76
Looking around their website, I noticed you have to pay to get in... Since when do you need to buy a ticket to go shopping?
blink.gif

Feb 18, 2013 at 11:50 PM Post #65 of 76
Yeah this sounds like fun! Maybe meet up there then head over to some resto or bar? I haven't been before, are any of the days particularly interesting for headphone stuff?

Mar 11, 2013 at 12:43 PM Post #66 of 76
Would anyone happen to know if there's a Montrealer with either a KGSS, SRM-727, BHSE, or other TOTL Stax amp? I am looking to upgrade and would like to have a proper listen before I start randomly buying gear!

Mar 12, 2013 at 9:09 PM Post #67 of 76
Your best bet is probably SSI, but Audioshop on Montagne should have an SRM-717 or SRM-727 for demo if you ask nicely. I'm building an amp with an output stage similar to the BHSE that I'd be glad to have you try, but it won't be ready for at least another month or two. :frowning2:

Congrats on the 007s!
biggrin.gif

Mar 12, 2013 at 9:24 PM Post #68 of 76
audioshop only has the 007t, unfortunately (they were my first visit). Hopefully SSI will be productive!

what amp are you creating?

Mar 12, 2013 at 10:24 PM Post #69 of 76
I'm building a slightly modified Stax SR-X amp, better known as a the SinglePower ES-1. I'm adding the BH's discrete current sources to the output stage and doing a few more tweaks to bring it into the 21st century (and not blow up like the ES-1s). It won't get as loud as a BHSE, but it will have similar output power at comparable volumes.

Mar 21, 2013 at 10:18 PM Post #70 of 76
Anyone going to SSI tomorrow? I'm hoping to go at least two of the three days (especially if I can go during work hours tomorrow 
very_evil_smiley.gif
).

Mar 22, 2013 at 3:57 PM Post #71 of 76
Okay, so I just managed to sneak away for a couple of hours. I was intereted in three booths:

Woo Audio. Jack Wu was there with a good collection of his amps, including the WES and a pair of Stax SR-009s :D  I only listened for about 10 minutes, to some music I was not familiar with. That said, they sounded amazing!  He also had a pair of SR-007s there (not sure if the were SZ-2 or SZ-3) which sounded dark in comparison. To me, the 009s were just right!

Resonessence Labs. I asked to listen to the Concero DAC, but they told me that they were busy and asked if I could come back another day. Disappointed, but the Concero is their low end model so I supposed that's that.

Plurison (a distributor in the Montreal area). I listened to their Micromega Dac/Amp combo (sounded bassy with the Focal headphones they had there) and chatted with them about DACs. Nice enough fellow there.

I'm hoping to go back once more to hear the SR-009s with some of my own music.

Mar 22, 2013 at 9:28 PM Post #72 of 76
I'm happy to say my HD800's paired with a McIntosh MC225 is right up there with the Stax SR009 and Woo WES in almost all fronts. It's a fun show this year too, getting to befriend a lot of manufacturers and Jack and his recording engineer friend. Great guys! I think I'm the youngest guy working at the show lol

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Mar 22, 2013 at 9:49 PM Post #73 of 76
Quote:
I'm happy to say my HD800's paired with a McIntosh MC225 is right up there with the Stax SR009 and Woo WES in almost all fronts. It's a fun show this year too, getting to befriend a lot of manufacturers and Jack and his recording engineer friend. Great guys! I think I'm the youngest guy working at the show lol

You were there representing the store? I didn't know retailers had booth there too... 

Mar 22, 2013 at 10:09 PM Post #74 of 76
Of course, most rooms are actually audio boutiques throughout Quebec

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back