Montréal incoming 2012 Head-Fi meet!: *" Saturday 25th of August "* (status: done!)
Aug 16, 2012 at 8:43 AM Post #122 of 180
Wow! We'll have both the LCD2.1, LCD2.2 and LCD3. Add to that the HiFiMANs and the HD800 and it'll be the best first meet I could hope for. :k701smile:  Now if DevouringOne3 end up showing up with his collection of Grados, I'll have a hard time trying not to grin all afternoon.

But what high end DAC and amplifiers will be there to try all those headphones with? I read somewhere that two Schiit combos will be there, is that confirmed? Anything else?

Anyways, I'll probably use my NFB-12 for my serious listening, since this way I'll have only variable in the chain. My ears are "used" to the NFB-12's sound, so using it as a source will allow me to have a better idea of the differences between headphones. I'll also bring my MSSH just for the fun of it.

Lappy27, what is the state of power outlets at the conference room we will be using? Since I'll be traveling with public transport and that I'll walk with all of my stuff, I would prefer not packing a power bar and extension cord if I end up not needing it. I need 3 sockets, and the power cords I'll bring are 2 meters long or so.

I know right? xD

Seems like we'll have a nice collection!

And right now I only have the ODAC+O2 as my system (as well as a fiio e17 for portable use).
I was hoping to try out different systems at the meet to see which one I preferred if I were to go up.

Aug 16, 2012 at 12:21 PM Post #123 of 180
Alright guys, since I won't have either the mjolnir or the gungnir by the meet date, I will simply be bringing HD800/HE500, HD600's, Fostex t50rp paradox, grado alessandro ms2i, IE8's, RE272's and maybe an HE400 from the store. Oh, and a bifrost and some audioquest cables and interconnects

My friend will be bringing a Lawton/Denon 5000 and maybe an apogee duet.

Kind of sucks that I sold off my amp too early and am now running my phones through an audio interface, albeit it sounding still pretty good.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Aug 16, 2012 at 2:19 PM Post #124 of 180
Quote:
Alright guys, since I won't have either the mjolnir or the gungnir by the meet date, I will simply be bringing HD800/HE500, HD600's, Fostex t50rp paradox, grado alessandro ms2i, IE8's, RE272's and maybe an HE400 from the store. Oh, and a bifrost and some audioquest cables and interconnects

My friend will be bringing a Lawton/Denon 5000 and maybe an apogee duet.

Kind of sucks that I sold off my amp too early and am now running my phones through an audio interface, albeit it sounding still pretty good.

Indeed, selling the amp before receiving the new one is unfortunate in this situation. I'm guessing this means your store does not stock headphone amplifiers? It would be practical to have an amp with the Bitfrost, so that you can at least have one fully working setup for people to try out.

Great that the Objective duo will be there, I've always been curious about them. They've been well documented, and always looked like a good setup to me. I'm just waiting for him to design desktop units, with dedicated power supplies. The current designs are just a weird compromise between desktop and portable, which irks me. I mean, audio in on the front panel? Eww.

Aug 16, 2012 at 2:47 PM Post #125 of 180
:frowning2:

I iz new Guy not geared yet

Ill bring my appetite and

Hd598 and bowers wilkins p5

I am currently looking for a tube amp and portable amp/dac
Maybe ill have them

You could also give your advice in the portable amp section ( just posted)
Or maybe some of you have the stuff i need for sale!!

Aug 16, 2012 at 3:14 PM Post #126 of 180
I'm really curious to try the higher end headphones with my AMB M^3 - and the Bifrost via USB (which is what I'm looking to get). so if that's OK... 
wink.gif

oh and BTW: if anyone is interested in ATH-AD900, I will be having them up for sale/trade during the meet - they have a very slight dent in the right ear cup and missing the 6.35mm (1/4") adapter though... but sound is not affected. I'm looking for a pair of nice closed cans for movies and such instead.

Aug 16, 2012 at 5:40 PM Post #127 of 180
Quote:
Wow! We'll have both the LCD2.1, LCD2.2 and LCD3. Add to that the HiFiMANs and the HD800 and it'll be the best first meet I could hope for. 
k701smile.gif
 Now if DevouringOne3 end up showing up with his collection of Grados, I'll have a hard time trying not to grin all afternoon.

But what high end DAC and amplifiers will be there to try all those headphones with? I read somewhere that two Schiit combos will be there, is that confirmed? Anything else?

Anyways, I'll probably use my NFB-12 for my serious listening, since this way I'll have only variable in the chain. My ears are "used" to the NFB-12's sound, so using it as a source will allow me to have a better idea of the differences between headphones. I'll also bring my MSSH just for the fun of it.

Lappy27, what is the state of power outlets at the conference room we will be using? Since I'll be traveling with public transport and that I'll walk with all of my stuff, I would prefer not packing a power bar and extension cord if I end up not needing it. I need 3 sockets, and the power cords I'll bring are 2 meters long or so.

As I wrote before, I will bring the new Bryston BHA-1 headphone amp, Wyred4Sound DAC-2 (asynchronous 192 k), Wireworld Starlight USB cable, Black Sand power cable Violet MkII, a lot of WAV files and of course the LCD-2 rev.2

For the power outlets, do not worry. I intend to do the meet at the 21st floor in two adjacents rooms that are set-up as 7 work stations with all electricity we need. If we have more than 7 listening booth, I will figure something out.

Aug 16, 2012 at 6:01 PM Post #128 of 180
Hope you guys have great fun there! Especially with the Audezes that will be brought, you guys are in for a treat for sure.

Then again, hearing the LCD-2 with a great amp got me hooked up the first listen I had. We were lent a pair for 2011 SSI, and I ended up buying one a couple of weeks later. Now, I have the opportunity to hear it with a stellar source (Technics SP-10), which might have a massive upgrade in the form of a new phono preamp to complete the setup.

You guys seem to have a pretty cool list of toys, although I would add at least one turntable to the mix 
biggrin.gif

Aug 16, 2012 at 10:11 PM Post #131 of 180
Quote:

Indeed, selling the amp before receiving the new one is unfortunate in this situation. I'm guessing this means your store does not stock headphone amplifiers? It would be practical to have an amp with the Bitfrost, so that you can at least have one fully working setup for people to try out.

I mean I've got a fiio e9 that has an inch of dust on it, the audio interface is much better than that. I can maybe bring an ef5 or even ef6 if I ask the rep for a loan; but the ef6 is one hell of a monster to carry around.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Aug 16, 2012 at 11:54 PM Post #132 of 180
Well, the EF5 looks like a kick ass amplifier if you ask me 
tongue_smile.gif
 Kinda reminds me of the SOHA: 12AU7 voltage gain and op-amp current gain. Also seems to have an output buffer... Though it's designed for orthodynamics. It should be great with the HiFiMAN and Audeze that will be at the meet. 

I realize you already have a lot of stock to carry, so don't bother if you don't want to. Especially if the shop asks you to pay for the rental. I'd still love to try it out. 
k701smile.gif

Lappy27, is there a closing hour where we have to leave?

Aug 17, 2012 at 2:43 AM Post #133 of 180
Man, can't wait to plug in my HE400s everywhere, it's gonna have a worn-out plug by the end of the meet 
evil_smiley.gif
 From what I've heard they scale really nicely with higher end source and amping, and so far I've only driven em with E17.

Will most of you bring laptops if you are also bringing a mini setup of headphones and amps?

Aug 17, 2012 at 8:44 AM Post #134 of 180
Man, can't wait to plug in my HE400s everywhere, it's gonna have a worn-out plug by the end of the meet :evil:  From what I've heard they scale really nicely with higher end source and amping, and so far I've only driven em with E17.

Will most of you bring laptops if you are also bringing a mini setup of headphones and amps?

Grr...
I guess I have no choice.
My laptop is 8lbs, along with the gigantic boxes for the headphones but I'll bring mine, along with my 3tb external so I can copy as much music over as possible.

Aug 17, 2012 at 5:52 PM Post #135 of 180
It's not like we have much choices in the matter. We need something to play music from, and a USB DAC without a computer is, well, useless. I too have a monstrous laptop, and on it's own it's half the weight of everything I'll bring to the meet.

Though now that we're on the subject, my curiosity got triggered. What happens if you plug many USB DACs on a single computer? Will they all play at the same time? I guess we could try it just for fun... 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back