Montréal incoming 2012 Head-Fi meet!: *" Saturday 25th of August "* (status: done!)
Jul 17, 2012 at 2:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 180

devouringone3

Headphoneus Supremus
Alright I'm back. I'm very sorry for my absence, I have no excuse. Thank you for having kept the meet alive :)

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Date: Saturday the 25th of August 2012

Place: BCF, 1100 René-Lévesque west (corner Peel). Most probably at the 21st floor.

(>>> Tips on how to find it:
"It is in front of the CIBC tower on the south side of René-Lévesque"; "there's a "BCF" sign on the building"; "Peel station will be good. It's a 5-7 minutes walk not linked with the underground network.")

|--> INSTRUCTIONS to follow:
"everybody at 13:00 in the lobby (in front of the security's desk). Be on time as you will have to be with me to be allowed to take elevators." -- all quotes from Steve (Lappy27)

Time: from 1 PM to 6 PM (13:00 to 18:00)

Transport offerings and carpooling:
PretentiousFood: "If someone needs a pick up from near Cote-des-Neiges or Namur I'll be driving there. :)"

List of attendees ("status"):
1-- devouringone3 (sorry I can't anymore)
2-- stacker45
3-- GL1TCH3D (confirmed, but not if he gets mugged, ± 2 friend maybe [not sure because it's one of them's birthday])
4-- rattesp (maybe)
5-- KimLaroux (coming)
6-- Headdie (maybe)
7-- Kalbee (26) we're sorry
8-- PretentiousFood (looks like he's going!; proposed room a Brebeuf College near Côte-des-Neiges Metro)
9-- munchzilla (confirmed)
10-- dleblanc343 (confirmed)
11-- Lazwarth (26, small chance 25)
12-- Lappy27 ("Steve", current boardroom provider)
13-- Jdhmtl (mid afternoon; could find a room in either Ville St Laurent or around Parthanais east end)
14-- papomaster (18, 19)
15-- Benjamin6264 (confirmed)
16-- zammboss (no gear)
17-- jerg (will circumvent the acts of god to come; good chance that he "drags an interested friend" too)
18-- Xtaze (coming)

Confirmed coming: 9

Headphones ("unsure if bringing/available at the time of the meet"):
1-- Grado HP2i; SR325i; RS-1 Vintage S; SR200
2-- 
3-- Shure SE535; HD800, Cardas and stock cables; LCD2 rev 1 (unconfirmed friends': Fischer Audio FA006; Audio technica m50 [first version])
4-- T1; HD 650
5-- AKG Q701; Shure SRH440 heavily modified
6-- A couple of these http://www.head-fi.org/t/618927/montr-al-date-to-be-voted-th-of-august-2012-head-fi-meet#post_8540430
7-- Yamaha HP-1;-2 (T50RP; or anything in his lists)
8-- Audio-Technica ESW9; Unique Melody Mage; ATH-A900X; (local!) IEMs
9-- ATH-CK100; AH-D5000 (ATH-AD900)
10-- HD800's; HE500's; Fostex Paradox t50rp; alessandro ms2i's; IE8's; Hifiman RE0's/RE272 (friend's Lawton modded D5000; HE400)
11-- HD558; MDR-NC13
12-- Monster Miles Davis Tribute IEM; LCD-2 rev. 2
13-- Westone ES5 [CIEM]; JH 13 [CIEM]; Westone 2
14-- Audeze LCD2
15-- HiFiMAN HE-6 with 3 aftermarket pad pairs; Audez'e LCD-3 [newest driver iteration; TWag V2 cable] (HE-6; SAA Endorphin LCD-3 cable)
16-- 
17-- Hifiman HE400; modded KSC75
18-- Hd598; bowers wilkins p5

Amplifiers ( '' ):
1-- Grado HPA-1
2--
3-- ODAC+O2; Fiio E17
4-- B22; LittleDot MKVI+
5-- Starving Student Millett Hybrid
6-- A couple of these http://www.head-fi.org/t/618927/montr-al-date-to-be-voted-th-of-august-2012-head-fi-meet#post_8540430
7-- E17 (or anything in his lists except Realistic ST-2000)
8-- Built Project amp (two units)
9-- (AMB M^3/-with Sigma11 PSU)
10-- bifrost (fiio e9; ef5 or even ef6)
11-- 
12-- Bryston BHA-1
13-- (Digizoid)
14-- Einar sound vc-01i (ASL Twinhead)
15-- 
16-- 
17-- FiiO E17
18-- a tube amp

DACs and miscellaneous ( '' ):
1-- ADL GT40, Joseph Grado Signature Ultra-Wide Bandwidth interconnects, upgraded flat pads, Creative Zen Vision:M
2--
3-- 
4-- Calyx 24/192
5-- Audio-gd NFB-12
6-- A couple of these http://www.head-fi.org/t/618927/montr-al-date-to-be-voted-th-of-august-2012-head-fi-meet#post_8540430
7-- 
8-- Amp integrated DIY DAC
9-- 
10-- some audioquest cables and interconnects (friend's apogee duet)
11-- 
12-- Wyred4Sound DAC-2; Wireworld Starlight USB cable; Black Sand power cable Violet MkII
13-- 
14-- (Technics sl1200; cambridge 540p)
15-- HiFiMAN HM-801 (with Game amp module); V-Link 192 USB-SP/DIF converter
16-- 
17-- 
18-- a portable amp/dac

Don't forget to bring your best tunes!

Others things you could bring (only suggestions):
-- Something for your expensive and precious headphones to rest on, could be a towel, headphone stand, the box of the headphone itself etc. this way they will always rest on the same, gentle, readily identifiable spot/surface
-- IEMs silicon/foam ear tips to try other's IEMs hygienically
-- Some practical food, as you might not be able or desirous to leave your gear upstairs "alone" or not being checked upon to go to a restaurant or a grocery store when you'll be hungry

Before the meet (general guidelines, nothing exhaustive):
Don't forget to take a shower and wash your ears as clean as possible; put on antisudorific/deodorant as carrying all your gear will probably make you sweat!

During the meet:
Be cool; it is important that you handle headphones, amps (for example: turning down the volume after each use), DACs (ask to change settings), cables (don't step/tangle/pull on them) and everything that isn't yours very (, very) carefully.

After the meet:
Enjoy all that you acquired whether it be friends/links, knowledge, listening experience, trades etc. According to custom, I made an impressions thread for you to talk about the event in its aftermath (and if you have photos, I'm sure others would appreciate if you post them :wink:http://www.head-fi.org/t/618928/impressions-montr-al-august-25th-2012-head-fi-meet

Let 's have fun!! (that's my personal wish to you!)

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Poll Results: Which date(s) would you prefer? (month: August, year: 2012)
Poll expires: Sep 30, 2012This is a multiple choice poll
  1. 10% (3)​

16 (Thursday)

2. 10% (3)​

17 (Friday)

3. 16% (5)​

18 (Saturday) [Weekend 1]

4. 13% (4)​

19 (Sunday) [Weekend 1]

5. 0% (0)​

20 (Monday) [School begins for Colleges]

6. 0% (0)​

21 (Tuesday)

7. 0% (0)​

22 (Wednesday)

8. 0% (0)​

23 (Thursday)

9. 3% (1)​

24 (Friday)

10. 23% (7)​

25 (Saturday) [Weekend 2]

11. 20% (6)​

26 (Sunday) [Weekend 2]

12. 3% (1)​

27 (Monday) [School begins for Universities]

13. 0% (0)​

28 (Tuesday)

14. 0% (0)​

29 (Wednesday)

30 Total Votes

Jul 17, 2012 at 2:24 PM Post #2 of 180
I sometimes work weekends but,i'm going to try to make it.

Jul 17, 2012 at 2:36 PM Post #3 of 180
I prefer the 25th because I'll probably want to spend the entire day downtown and don't want to worry about having to wake up early to go to school Monday morning =)

My gear:
Fiio e17
AKG Q701
Shure SE535
Beyerdynamic T5p (this one is tricky, currently in for repairs and I'll be trading it for a pair of HD800s when I get them back.)

Friends coming with me: At the moment 3.
Their gear:
Fischer Audio FA006
Audio technica m50 (first version)

Jul 17, 2012 at 2:50 PM Post #4 of 180
I might be attending.

I could bring :

Amps :
B22
LittleDot MKVI+

Headphones:
T1
HD 650

DAC :
Calyx 24/192

Jul 17, 2012 at 3:22 PM Post #5 of 180
Just a quick off topic question, anyone know good audiologists in montreal to get ear molds done? I was thinking of getting that new Aurisonics AS2.
Also, ratte, I love you right now xD
Since I'll probably have a pair of HD800 by the time of the meet, I wanted to try out amps and the MKVI+ and B22 were definitely 2 amps I wanted to try, so make sure you come! xD

Jul 17, 2012 at 5:31 PM Post #6 of 180
What are the reasons for having only those two days as choices? Why can't it be a week day?

As I said in the other thread, for me the only restrains are the commuting services schedules. The schedules are much more flexible during the week, and I can arrive earlier and leave later. I would have voted for a week day if there was such a choice.

Even though there are differences in the schedules between Saturday and Sunday, it's not enough for me to prefer one over the other. I will therefore not vote. I'll just let you know that Saturday is more flexible for me, as I can be there earlier and leave later than on Sunday. Though the difference is less than an hour.

I'd like to know during which hours the meet will last. Or at least have an idea. Will it be a whole day event, just the afternoon, or an evening? This will allow me to prepare my trip in advance.

This is what I will bring:

Headphones

• AKG Q701 (white)
  • Shure SRH440 (heavily modified)

DAC/Amp

• Audio-gd NFB-12

I will also bring my laptop as a source. Will we have access to the Internet?

I might bring my Starving Student Millett Hybrid. It's currently in pieces as I am waiting for the tools to reassemble it in an aluminum enclosure. I'll bring it if I finish it by then.

Jul 17, 2012 at 6:50 PM Post #7 of 180
May be there.

Could bring a couple of them,

Headphone Inventory

Beyerdynamic DT990, Denon D2000
Future Sonics Atrio M5, Hifiman RE0
Stax SR-X/Mk3, SR-Lambda, Lambda Nova Basic, SR-202

Headphone Amp Inventory

Firestone Cute Curve
HotAudio Thunderbolt II
Stax SRD-6, SRD-7, SRM-Xh, SRM-212

Source Inventory

Firestone Fireye II
HotAudio DAC Straight
Musiland LILO III Deluxe 5th Edition
Oppo Digital DV980H
SanDisk Sansa Clip+

Power-Related Components

Firestone Big Joe II
Grant Fidelity B-283 with JRP-6AK5 tubes

Jul 17, 2012 at 8:20 PM Post #8 of 180
Quote:
What are the reasons for having only those two days as choices? Why can't it be a week day?
As I said in the other thread, for me the only restrains are the commuting services schedules. The schedules are much more flexible during the week, and I can arrive earlier and leave later. I would have voted for a week day if there was such a choice.
Even though there are differences in the schedules between Saturday and Sunday, it's not enough for me to prefer one over the other. I will therefore not vote. I'll just let you know that Saturday is more flexible for me, as I can be there earlier and leave later than on Sunday. Though the difference is less than an hour.
I'd like to know during which hours the meet will last. Or at least have an idea. Will it be a whole day event, just the afternoon, or an evening? This will allow me to prepare my trip in advance.
Headphones
  1. AKG Q701 (white)
  2. Shure SRH440 (heavily modified)
DAC/Amp
  1. Audio-gd NFB-12
I might bring my Starving Student Millett Hybrid. It's currently in pieces as I am waiting for the tools to reassemble it in an aluminum enclosure. I'll bring it if I finish it by then.

Most Head-Fi meets usually are put in the weekend days to accommodate more people (when you look at what has been done), but I will offer more dates in the vote and see the trend. Any week days outside the 25 and the 26 and Gl7tch3d will be to school :/. Earlier than Gl7tch3d's school entrance and I won't be able to make it at all, and some have mentioned preferring the back-to-school days, so I'm not sure we'll be able to please everyone.

Lappy27 is a Manager for a law firm and should be able to reserve us (I hope!) a conference room. We do not know if there will be Wi-Fi. Lappy27, we'd be glad if you could tell us the opening/closing hours of the room, if you can still reserve it for a day.

Jul 17, 2012 at 8:25 PM Post #9 of 180
Headphones
  • AKG Q701 (white)
  • Shure SRH440 (heavily modified)
DAC/Amp
  • Audio-gd NFB-12

I start school a week earlier than others along with the friends I'm bringing so if it's a weekday I'd have to drop out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back