Montréal incoming 2012 Head-Fi meet!: *" Saturday 25th of August "* (status: done!)
Aug 17, 2012 at 7:32 PM Post #136 of 180
Quote:
It's not like we have much choices in the matter. We need something to play music from, and a USB DAC without a computer is, well, useless. I too have a monstrous laptop, and on it's own it's half the weight of everything I'll bring to the meet.

Though now that we're on the subject, my curiosity got triggered. What happens if you plug many USB DACs on a single computer? Will they all play at the same time? I guess we could try it just for fun... 
very_evil_smiley.gif

AFAIK for Windows you would most likely have to choose the output you want to use... so basically it can only output through one DAC.
Now what happens if you plug many of the SAME DAC on one laptop? Up to you guys to find out!
biggrin.gif
99% sure it's the same case though, with only one unit having the output.

OSX and Linux? No idea...

Aug 18, 2012 at 2:14 AM Post #140 of 180
Regarding earbuds/ IEM's guys. I will be bringing mine but would like to mention that if you want to try them, try to have your own ear tips. I will bring some new ear tips to share, but I don't have infinite supplies.

Also in general, in respect to every member who will be there; please try to be clean and careful with each others gear.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Aug 18, 2012 at 5:01 AM Post #141 of 180
think maybe the original post should be updated with the date, time and place, change the title and remove the poll? 
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT: just bought a pair of headphones, so will have something substantial to bring to the meet. 
tongue.gif

Aug 19, 2012 at 8:04 PM Post #143 of 180
Awesome OP. I confirmed with Lappy but I guess I'll confirm here. I finished builidng my amp and added a DAC section to it so I'll bring it too.
beyersmile.png

I have a netbook so maybe I can save you guys from lugging around your heavy laptops? Just bring a flash drive with your music and you can use foobar on my netbook to test out DACs if you prefer leaving your laptop at home.

Edit: Would anyone be interested in op -amps? I just ordered a bunch from digi-key.

Aug 19, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #144 of 180
Thank you :D. Yes don't hesitate telling the gear you intend to bring I'll be keeping the things updated and organized for the little time there is left.

I did sent a PM to every Head-Fier of the past 3-4 years in the Montréal meets threads, and to some others too; I apologize to those who wanted to make it to be more intimate or in a smaller room. At the time I had engaged myself to find a classroom, lounge or party room big enough for everyone, but a mix of event occurred, mostly in my head and ideas, and I decided to do a sudden change of program and University (from Mining Engineering@Polytechnique to Geology@UQAC). Ironically that happened just a few days after I wanted to pick up things, make the thread, be an organizer, and I left you on your own; I'm sorry. I was busy but not to the point of turning away my back like I did, I could have stayed to assist you or at least tell you what was happening and I didn't, please if forgive that, I will try to catch up.

I don't know how to get to the result page of the Google.doc, if you have confirmed you're coming and I don't know, you can send me a real quick PM so that I put in black your name and add you to the total of confirmations. Some of you are very positive and seem to be coming but I only highlighted the names and the gear or those who were absolutely sure to come. I have not counted your friends coming in the numeric total but I've put them in (parenthesis) next to your name in the lists.

Aug 19, 2012 at 10:29 PM Post #146 of 180
Thanks, your gear is properly listed and highlighted. You are a total 7 solid having confirmed according to what I could read here. Two-three of those seven looked so positive and implicated that I judged they'd be present, I hope I'm not mistaken. I don't know those who confirmed their presence in the Google.doc because I can't seem to get to the results of the poll  without falsifying the results (by picking a date when I can't come at all).

Jdhmtl
Xtaze
jerg

All of you manifested much interest, one said he'd come (Xtaze), but none of you really gave a specific "green OK" / "coming for sure" or real confirmation that I could count (as in "I confirm I'll be here" lol)

List of those who appeared earlier in this thread, manifested positive interest and/or maybes but haven't been proactive at all lately:

stacker45
rattesp
Headdie
papomaster
zammboss

Aug 20, 2012 at 1:14 AM Post #147 of 180
I'm definitely going (barring acts of god), there's a good chance I'll drag an interested friend along too. I'll be bringing Hifiman HE400, FiiO E17, and a laptop with music. Maybe a pair of modded KSC75s too.

Aug 20, 2012 at 1:29 AM Post #148 of 180
Other than myself, just these guys said they can come on the 25th in the Google doc:
munchzilla
KimLaroux
GL1TCH3D
dleblanc343
azoth
Benjamin6264

I sent it just to pick the date though so I don't know that it's a good idea to take this as a final confirmation. I can get in touch with anyone who doesn't answer though!

Does anyone know if photography will be allowed?

Aug 20, 2012 at 2:07 AM Post #149 of 180
Why would photography not be allowed? Oh I see, maybe we can't photograph the office? That would be sad. I'm actually counting on someone to bring a real photo camera so I can make better pictures of this stuff:

Yeah, that's my Starving Student sitting on my NFB-12. Just completed it today, so it will be at the Meet.

Also I'm counting on flooding the Impression thread with pictures, so we better be allowed... 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Edit:

Just read the OP. The Bitfrost, Gamma2 and ODAC are only DACs. The NFB-12, E17 and Apogee Duet are DAC/Amp units. But I'm just being overly picky here. You could just as well throw all of it into "Sources"

Aug 20, 2012 at 3:25 AM Post #150 of 180
For me a source is a laptop or an mp3 player, something that contains music. Turntable are not sources either, only the vinyl on it. A CD is a source, the same way.I'm aware it's not the popular definition. Actually these sources doesn't figure anywhere in the OP, to me it's almost "sous-entendu" (bitch of a word to translate; "implied"?) people will have their laptop (could be just their portable mp3 player; turntables+vinyls and CD players+CD too, if you can bring them) to showcase their gear with the kind of music they like to listen to. It could be just to have their preferred songs on hand to test headphones and see if they does their preferred genre well, etc. Anyway I'm expecting that you all bring some music on your own :wink: that's why I didn't feel the need to list the laptops and such.

Oh yeah I did put the DAC-Amp combos into the DACs, I think that's where they belong (and a "DAC-Amp combo" section would be too empty anyway [or make the other sections to empty]). I thought the NFB-12, E17 and Apogee Duet were headphone amplifiers only. Thanks for correcting me

*There we have at least one more DAC now :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back