Monster Turbine PRO's better than Denon AH-C710's?
Sep 14, 2011 at 11:56 AM Post #16 of 56
Apart from the bass front...and the detachable cable...how would you compare the w3's and the se535's?

I love the look of the se535's, but what about the comfort...

Seems like everyone loves the w3's, and doesn't like the se535's?

Sep 14, 2011 at 12:45 PM Post #17 of 56
GGXtreme-
Have you actually heard any of the IEM's you're recommending here? It sounds like you're recommending gear you've only read impressions about. I don't see any of the Monster, Shure, or Westone IEM's in your profile gear list. Just fyi, it can be very misleading for a prospective owner to go by another's speculative comments. For example, I owned the W3's and found them rather light on bass. I prefer a nice weighty low end like the OP here, and it really didn't do the trick. 

Food for thought....

Sep 14, 2011 at 12:54 PM Post #18 of 56

Quote:
GGXtreme-
Have you actually heard any of the IEM's you're recommending here? It sounds like you're recommending gear you've only read impressions about. I don't see any of the Monster, Shure, or Westone IEM's in your profile gear list. Just fyi, it can be very misleading for a prospective owner to go by another's speculative comments. For example, I owned the W3's and found them rather light on bass. I prefer a nice weighty low end like the OP here, and it really didn't do the trick. 

Food for thought....

I have no idea what to go for...
W3 or Se535...

Only thing that is drawing me to the se535's are:
-Shure CS
-Guy on head-fi = I don;t want to let him down, his been SUPER useful and really fast in replying to me
-Looks brilliant

LOL this is no where near what I'm looking for in the ears, but...hey that's all i can see in difference.

Bass to one side...as on my SGS I can tune the bass volume to +12DB...
Yeah I've never gone that high, and currently have it on +2DB on my C710's...

What the program does is plays with the HARDWARE of the phone, and adjusts it accordingly.

here is my video on the app...

So apart from bass...what else does the W3 or Se535 offer?

In other words, forget about price, forget about durability, and forget about bass.
Think about clarity, soundstage and comfort....

Input anyone :D?

Sep 14, 2011 at 2:41 PM Post #19 of 56
Well I haven't heard the Shure SE535, so I won't pretend to offer up any knowledge about them... Having owned the W3 I found their bass a little weak for my music. When pushed with hard driving industrial material, the drivers clipped pretty easily. I also thought the W3's highs were harsh and sibilant. I had the Earsonics SM3 for over a year and liked them a lot (until I found a couple other IEM's I like better). The bass they cranked out was noticeably better for a BA earphone. The Monster Miles Davis is also a very good choice; I liked them more than the Coppers.

I have a feeling you're probably more in the dynamic driver camp, like me. You could always consider the IE8's, although they're becoming a bit outdated since there are dynamic driver IEM's which offer similarly enjoyable bass experiences, while having better clarity. One you may want to do some searching/reading up on here is the Vsonic GR07. I'm not sure what the best place is to order from these days, but they can be had for something like the $150-180 range, and they're so good they caused me to sell off my SM3's. They are a great all-rounder.... having excellent clarity, very good soundstage, very nice mids, and a very nice weighty bottom end. And they isolate quite well to boot, which a lot of dynamic driver IEM's don't do (such as the Sony EX1000, JVC FX700, etc).

Sep 14, 2011 at 9:14 PM Post #20 of 56
GGXtreme-

Food for thought....

I never made any claims about my experience with any of the IEM's in the thread, and I already mentioned that I haven't heard any of them. However, I referred to direct comparisons I've read here stating that the Westone 3 was bass-heavy for a BA and the Shure has soft bass, even compared to other BA's. I never claimed that the W3's had a lot of bass, I only mentioned the generally held fact that the W3's have more bass than the SE535's, and that the Monster phones will have even more aggressive bass.

Sep 14, 2011 at 11:13 PM Post #22 of 56
I also like bass very much and the W3s did not disappoint me the way many other BAs have disappointed me. I was actually very pleased with the bass quality and quantity of the W3 until I recently got the JVC FX700 (which is a DD) and the bass of those just absolutely blew me away. I was instantly swayed toward dynamic IEMs. Of all the BAs I've got to listen to, the W3s definitely had the most bass. But after listening to some dynamic drivers, I just can't go back to BAs if I'm strictly looking for bass. I would suggest looking into dynamic IEMs such as the IE8, GR07, FX700 and EX600 as they may suit you better than the SE535 or W3. My 2c

Sep 14, 2011 at 11:44 PM Post #23 of 56
The W3's were no match for the Earsonics SM3's bass, that's for sure. I got to demo the W4 at the UK meet and it was a good way behind the Earsonic's low end as well. The SM3's were the first BA which ever came close to what a good dynamic can achieve, to my ears.

Sep 15, 2011 at 12:02 AM Post #24 of 56

Quote:
I never made any claims about my experience with any of the IEM's in the thread, and I already mentioned that I haven't heard any of them. However, I referred to direct comparisons I've read here stating that the Westone 3 was bass-heavy for a BA and the Shure has soft bass, even compared to other BA's. I never claimed that the W3's had a lot of bass, I only mentioned the generally held fact that the W3's have more bass than the SE535's, and that the Monster phones will have even more aggressive bass.

I get that, but it can be highly misleading bandying around others' opinions about gear without being able to back it up with your own observations. For example, you said '...I'm not too sure about the Monsters, but you'll probably find the W2's a drastic change'. How would you know that's what the OP would hear unless you had direct experience? It's sheer speculation. Also, regarding the W3's bass, it's not 100% unanimous owners find them bass-heavy. Some owners hear them that way certainly, many others find them lacking in bass, like me. You have no first-hand experience, and as such have no idea how they compare to other phones in question here. People will hear a particular earphone quite differently, and a prospective owner can't know in absolute terms unless they actually try it out. Here's more speculation on your part... you knock the SE535 at length, even coming to the conclusion the OP probably wouldn't like its sound signature and should remove them from his list. Really? He seems pretty keen to try them. Many love their sound. Maybe he should find out for himself and form his own impressions. If he followed your conjectures he may miss out on a sound he'd possibly enjoy. 

Sep 15, 2011 at 2:15 AM Post #25 of 56
Wow!
Many replies - thank you!

Well most of the new replies said:
Get the IE8's.

Unfortunately, that's one earphone if anything that I WILL NOT be getting.
I didn't like them at all when I purchased them 1 year ago...took them back for a refund straight away.

So, no ie8 suggestions por favor :p

As BA might not give me enough bass (as said by some users here + my experience) what else is there at my price range, that fits the bill?

I mean are the MTPG's any good?

Sep 15, 2011 at 11:16 AM Post #28 of 56
Here's my suggestion: buy some EX600's and if you like them, get the EX1000. That's what I did and the EX1000's are here to stay. They don't have a humongous quantity of bass, but the bass quality far outweighs any IEM I've heard; the only one that's comparable is the FX700.) That being said, I feel that they are also the best IEM I have heard as you can see in my sig. 

What didn't you like about the UM3X exactly? 

Sep 16, 2011 at 4:33 PM Post #29 of 56

I get that, but it can be highly misleading bandying around others' opinions about gear without being able to back it up with your own observations. For example, you said '...I'm not too sure about the Monsters, but you'll probably find the W2's a drastic change'. How would you know that's what the OP would hear unless you had direct experience? It's sheer speculation. Also, regarding the W3's bass, it's not 100% unanimous owners find them bass-heavy. Some owners hear them that way certainly, many others find them lacking in bass, like me. You have no first-hand experience, and as such have no idea how they compare to other phones in question here. People will hear a particular earphone quite differently, and a prospective owner can't know in absolute terms unless they actually try it out. Here's more speculation on your part... you knock the SE535 at length, even coming to the conclusion the OP probably wouldn't like its sound signature and should remove them from his list. Really? He seems pretty keen to try them. Many love their sound. Maybe he should find out for himself and form his own impressions. If he followed your conjectures he may miss out on a sound he'd possibly enjoy. 

"you'll probably find the W2's a drastic change"—well, duh. The W2's are somewhat neutral balanced armature phones, and the Monsters are touted as fun-sounding dynamics. There's pretty much a guarantee that that will be the most drastic change out of the phones he listed. As for the rest of your post, I never said the W3's were bass heavy or that he'd like the bass. I only stated (which a lot of reviews and comparisons agree with) that the Shures have softer bass than the W3's, and that the W3's have more bass than the W2's. I don't think anyone will disagree with that. I'm not the one stating his preferences, he's the one saying he wanted better bass than his W2's so I simply brought him some readily-available info: the Monsters will have the most bass out of those 3, the Shures will have the softest bass, and the W3's will be somewhere in the middle.

Sep 16, 2011 at 6:08 PM Post #30 of 56

Quote:
"you'll probably find the W2's a drastic change"—well, duh. The W2's are somewhat neutral balanced armature phones, and the Monsters are touted as fun-sounding dynamics. There's pretty much a guarantee that that will be the most drastic change out of the phones he listed. As for the rest of your post, I never said the W3's were bass heavy or that he'd like the bass. I only stated (which a lot of reviews and comparisons agree with) that the Shures have softer bass than the W3's, and that the W3's have more bass than the W2's. I don't think anyone will disagree with that. I'm not the one stating his preferences, he's the one saying he wanted better bass than his W2's so I simply brought him some readily-available info: the Monsters will have the most bass out of those 3, the Shures will have the softest bass, and the W3's will be somewhere in the middle.

*Sigh*..... I really don't care to argue with you here about the subtle semantics you are/aren't using. There's no denying you're making recommendations and describing earphones' sonics based on information you've only read, not from first-hand experience. That's the issue here. 

Here's a post by one of the mods for you:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/270280/stop-recommending-gear-you-ve-never-heard-rant-warning

I'm done discussing this. If you can't comprehend the basic principle here, then, geez.   
rolleyes.gif
  I certainly won't be putting any stock in your future gear recommendations/descriptions.... 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back