Monster Turbine Pro
Jan 5, 2010 at 8:47 PM Post #121 of 335
I dont usually see IEM's on the floor available for tryouts (at Frys), in my area.

Jan 5, 2010 at 9:43 PM Post #122 of 335
Anyone care to comment on what exactly makes the new "Supertips" different?

Jan 6, 2010 at 2:36 AM Post #123 of 335
Newegg is selling the gold version for $249.95. W/free shipping.

Went ahead and ordered a pair.
Figured what the heck, if I don't like them I have 30 days to try em'

Jan 6, 2010 at 10:08 AM Post #124 of 335
If I had a spare $300.00 and the right molding and equipment to fashion my own headphones, I could likely do it better than anything you can buy for $300.00. This is the age of business not being happy with making 500% profit. Those monsters only cost about $15-20$ to produce, if that. Thats really pushing it. Reselling them for upwards of $250.00. The technology is the same inside apple stock earbuds as they are in monster turbines, its just the higher grade equipment used. Like a porche to a geo metro :p Both are cars with the same stuff inside, one is a higher quality.

I wasted $180.00 on my set of turbines only to have them lose more than 50% of their value within a month or two. I'll stay away from monster, there is no way those buds cost nearly that much to produce, not worth that price. I'd be weary of paying $75 for them let alone over 200$.

Jan 6, 2010 at 11:56 AM Post #125 of 335
Well, just got them in. The new supertips are jelly-filled and even may have air bubble in each unit. It is a good idea for users with semi-large to medium sized ear canals. Mine are small, so it isn't that good. The Turbine Pro is vastly better than the Turbine in terms of make. The cable is more similar the Denon C751, but has more energy (not a great thing, but not bad). And the stress reliefs are much better, but not perfect. The plug is amazing; the array of accessories good and the whole package smacks of customer feedback. Monster obviously listened to complaints and took them to heart when creating the Turbine's little brother, the Pro.

Listening (5 minutes) reveals them to be similarly big-bottomed, but again, not in a nasty overpowering way. They remain cleanly tubby and nice for vocal. Review coming ~3 weeks.

The Turbine (original) came right at a time when good options were coming to market. They also sold for 100$ more often than the 180$ MSRP. Now, with much more competition, the Pro have to fight harder. The comment above wouldn't be written probably if the person had seen and used the Pro.

In no way are they comparable to anything ~75$ - both in sound, and in quality of build/accessories. Nothing on the market at that price range sounds as balanced (in terms of clarity whilst carrying a great house signature).

They are built well enough to at least warrant a 180$ pricetag. For 250$, they may be stretching it, but I will make sure. Since the market has so many good earphones now, 250$ really has to be a top-level earphone. On the same level, however, they impress me much more than the IE8. There is no sadly soft echo, no prissy plastic. These are made very well, but still not perfect.

Jan 6, 2010 at 8:00 PM Post #126 of 335
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, just got them in. The new supertips are jelly-filled and even may have air bubble in each unit.

Jelly-filled? As in real semi-liquid gel? I wonder if it leaks if punctured....
It would be interesting if they can be purchased separately.

Jan 6, 2010 at 8:07 PM Post #127 of 335
I agree with Shigzeo on most of his comments. The Pros to me are not bottom-heavy, but have a great bass foundation, and seem to be more neutral across the mids and treble (and I am not a basshead in any way). They also have significant improvements in the cabling design and materials. $250 may be stretching it, but as with the original Turbines, I have been impressed with these in a good way.

I am comparing the Pros to the IE8s over the next four weeks while I am traveling, and should be able to provide some perspective toward the end of the month.

Jan 6, 2010 at 8:07 PM Post #128 of 335
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjmai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jelly-filled? As in real semi-liquid gel? I wonder if it leaks if punctured....
It would be interesting if they can be purchased separately.

Yes, the backs of the silicone tips are filled with some kind of gel-like substance.

IMO it seems like the tips were made just for the Turbine Pro, because all the other "normal" tips seem to lose clarity, seperation, and definition.

Jan 7, 2010 at 12:06 AM Post #129 of 335
Well, I cannot use them very well, but maybe after a little time, I can figure a way to do it. So far, I am impressed. And for 250$, they are probably worth it, but they are stacking against some other impressive competition. One thing is for sure though: they are leagues better than the Atrio in terms of sound (no horrid plastic echo) and not dark.

250$ is a hard number, but if the Pro is made as well as it looks to be made, it will be worth it!

Jan 12, 2010 at 7:57 AM Post #130 of 335
I've had mine for about a week now and I'm very impressed. Of all the IEM that I've owned, including the mighty IE8, I find the Monster Turbine Pro sound to be very neutral with a swift kick in the low end. No matter what I listen to, the Pro's pump out the sound with accurate and smooth mids and highs. For some reason, I never developed a liking for the IE8. Perhaps I found the sound stage to be too artificially wide for my taste.

I wanted great sounding IEM's that was easy to take on and off. Fumbling with the IE8 and PFE which for me calls the use of both my arms when being interrupted at work or home, was a pain at times. Pain aside, I don't regret my purchase and I'm very happy with the Turbine Pro. I think the two cases are nice, but would've been better with just one, and more like the round hard case that Shure provides. Plus, you get the added benefit and insurance of its life-time guantee and one time at fault replacement program which is due to Monster's cash flow leverage with its successful core businesses lines - interconnects and audio accessories.

Two big thumbs up for the Monster Turbine Pro. Although, I didn't care much for the regular Turbine, the Pro has made a home run with my ears. For those who think the they are over the top, just look at the Miles Davis limited edition and its commanding $499 price - sexy, cool looking and probably sweet sounding no doubt, but damn expensive.

Jan 12, 2010 at 11:19 AM Post #132 of 335
i just got the monster turbine pros and burned them in a little bit. it may need a little more burn-in but it doesnt seem necessary. the supertips are too big for me but i can tell they would be great for someone that could use them. they sound amazing and i refused to like Monster products. i would trick myself to hating how their headphones sound, believing firmly that the sound from headphones from these type of companies would not justify the price.

however, i had to finally listen unbiasedly. ive listened to alot of headphones and i was a performing musician so id like to think i know what im talking about. however, neutral to me for headphones is a bit of bass emphasis, since i dont hear as much bass in reality. there is definitely an emphasis on bass. the low end can go very very low... and i hate hearing so much low end for iems so i eqed (i know some ppl here dont like eq, but i love that stuff.) the low end way down. i expected the higher frequencies to lack clarity but the sound remained clear and very neutral. no distortion either at high volumes. the headphones remind me of my Sony MDR CD900STs but with more emphasized bass.

Jan 12, 2010 at 6:13 PM Post #135 of 335
i bought and returned a pair because i had trouble fitting them in my ear and couldnt use comply tips with them...are there any comply tips that will fit on them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back