Monster Turbine Pro Golds... No bass?
Jun 15, 2010 at 7:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 49

KipFox

100+ Head-Fier
So I'm no bass-a-holic (yet), but I just picked up a pair of MTP Golds 3 days ago and let them run at medium volume on a H/K receiver for a few nights to break in.
Well tonight I decided to put them to the test and used the smaller flanged tips which made a nice seal, and to my surprise, even on stuff that is very bass heavy, electronic or rock, there was... nothing. Just mids and highs, which, sounded great, but even with EQ changes, the bass was recessed.

Bad pair?

Or am I expecting too much out of these?

Jun 15, 2010 at 7:51 PM Post #3 of 49
They have a lot of bass.  You sure you have a seal?  Did you try the black supertips?  Either your seal is bad or something is wrong with the phones.  Are they real Monster Golds??

Jun 15, 2010 at 7:54 PM Post #4 of 49
Picked them up at Fry's so they'd better be real lol. I'll try the super tips but flanged tips always seemed to work the best for me.

Jun 15, 2010 at 7:54 PM Post #5 of 49
I also find the Coppers thin and bass light! They are not worth 1/2 the asking price.
I believe that Monster priced these because the attract the same crowd as Bose.
Monster dominates the brick and mortars. They come in a beautiful package with
loads of accessories, but when it comes to sound, they missed the boat.

Jun 15, 2010 at 8:06 PM Post #6 of 49
I found the bass of the Gold to be pretty decent and like the Copper's as well. I wonder if your having tip issues are a bad pair.

Jun 15, 2010 at 8:16 PM Post #7 of 49

Quote:
I also find the Coppers thin and bass light! They are not worth 1/2 the asking price.

Thin and bass light?  Same crowd as Bose??  There must be some serious deviation in ear canal design because that is such a deviation from the norm of what myself and others have heard.  What IEM are you using that gives you your prefered bass signature?

Jun 15, 2010 at 8:20 PM Post #8 of 49

Quote:

Doesn't sound like you have actually heard the coppers. No one who has actually heard them would say that they are bass light.

With iems, you need a very good fit or you miss all the bass (or the fit is too deep and it sound like it's in a tunnel).

Jun 15, 2010 at 8:35 PM Post #11 of 49
Wow... There's a first time for everything, immtbiker and I disagree on how something sounds. The Coppers have better bass (more tuneful and just plain more) than any other Universal Fit IEM I've tried (Ety ER4 P & S, ER6, Westone 3, Shure 3 driver I think 530 that I won at the 1st National).

I'd say that if you think that the Coppers have no bass that you didn't have a good seal, I can't say for sure if that holds true for the Golds, but I'd be surprised if it didn't.

Jun 15, 2010 at 10:12 PM Post #12 of 49

Quote:
I'd say that if you think that the Coppers have no bass that you didn't have a good seal, I can't say for sure if that holds true for the Golds, but I'd be surprised if it didn't.

That's definitely true for both the Golds and the Coppers. Both of them have plenty of bass with the Golds having more.

Jun 15, 2010 at 10:40 PM Post #14 of 49
My impression of the Gold is that they have a very well extended bass line.  I personally thought they were very well balanced to the ears and quite flat when using frequency response tests.  They certainly are not void of bass.  The bass however is not monstrous, nor is it dominant (to my ears).  I feel it is well controlled, not super tight, not loose, but a good middle ground.  If the song doesn't have bass, the MTPG doesn't put bass in the song.  If the song is strong in bass, the MTPG has bass notes, but it also doesn't overwhelm nor is sloppy.  Bass is as balanced as the song provides.  Some folks may seek an overwhelming sense, and for those people, the bass of the MTPG might be lacking.  Then again 95% plus of the high SQ earphones out there might be lacking. 

Jun 15, 2010 at 11:38 PM Post #15 of 49
Coppers and Golds have plenty of bass! 
eek.gif

Maybe not bass monsters, but it kicks when it has to. 
They sound great to me. Organic, natural, realistic, round. 

Im not usually an IEM guy, but ill listen to these. I think Monster got them spot on!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back