Monster Turbine Pro Gold - Questions
Nov 29, 2010 at 6:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

Totally Dubbed

aka 1337 Gamer
aka totallydubbed2
aka TotallydubbedHD
Hey there!

I want to buy the MTPG, because a friend of mine can get them for half price: ie. £225 stock price, comes down to £125 with a staff discount, from the store "comet"

I have some problems however:
The staff discount would go under the staffs name (not my friend who works part-time, nor mine)
-Is that a problem when it comes down to warranty?
-Is there any UK / EU branches, what means if something goes wrong with them, and with their lifetime guarantee and all, would I have to send them back to the US or not?
(Comet said they would replace them within a year of purchase)

-I currently own the Denon 751, they are good, bass is deep, but they are heavy phones, and the mids/highs seems to be not as apparent.
Is it worth an upgrade? I only paid £53 for the 751's...:D!

-I have tried the IE8's = hate them, I have owned the W2= not enough bass, I own the 751's = not enough mids/highs, I own the ex500's = not as good separation between instruments, I have owned the ex700's = high spike, didn't quite like them.

-I think thus the MTPG are for me, am I mistaken?

-I live in the UK, and I am into r'n'b and dance.

MANY THANKS!

Nov 29, 2010 at 7:41 PM Post #3 of 39
IDK what they go for in the UK, but across the ol' pond, we can get them for $170 but not regarding the price issue, if they're registered under your friends name, when you do have warranty issues, just file under his name, and yes, you'll probably have to ship them back to the US for any warranty purposes. When I had my coppers, the instrument seperation was good, but not mind blowing though I must ask, what was wrong with the IE8's?

James

Nov 29, 2010 at 9:34 PM Post #4 of 39
oh god..many things....don't get me started...
Yes they had a good sound stage but that's about it.

The thing which got me the most is the jack....silver plated meant that each time i turned it even a little it would automatically stop the music playing form my SGS, as it thought it was unplugged...
(Received the ie8's as a demo set from Mark, from Head-fi, alongside the Ie7's which were equally terrible, the thinksound -rain , which weren't bad but lacked bass, the denon 710's which were great but didn't like the thin cabling)

Dec 1, 2010 at 5:20 PM Post #7 of 39
I to owned the Denon C751 and now own the MTPG.  I would say here are the pros and cons of the MTPG in my opinion.

Pros
Great Isolation, better then the C751
Great seal, I wear it over the ear, the C751 was a nightmare for great seals as everytime I had it perfect, after a few minutes of moving it would come out of place I had always keep fidgeting with it.
More bassy, it has more mid bass and seems more warmer then the C751.  The C751 had in my opinion had slighter better deep bass that reverbed.

Cons
The treble, I loved the treble of the C751 as I never had to tweak the EQ apart from increasing bass.  With the MTPG I have to give a treble boost as it sounds less brighter then the C751.

I would say get the MTPG if you like warm bassy IEM with good isolationa and seal.  It also came with many different tips to try from.

Heres also what I posted on another thread.

"Today I recieved the Monster Turbine Pro Gold and I would say this is defo a bass IEM.  I think it is great for Rock and Metal as the treble is smooth and not harsh.  It is also more easier to drive for bass as previously I had owned the Denon C751 and had always kept Clear Bass on my sony DAP at 3+ and now I have put it to 2+ as the bass just overpowers everything at higher levels.  It also has great isolation and seal, I wear it Upsidedown/Over the ear for better seal. 

I think the only downside for the MTPG is that the trebles are not bright enough as it was with the Denon C751 and I have to give a treble boost on my Sony DAP (16khz 1+) to get a clearer brighter sound."

Dec 1, 2010 at 5:56 PM Post #8 of 39
Thanks a lot for the reply...
My problem with the 751's is the fact that they are bassy but lack clarity...
You are telling me that the MTPG are less clear/vibrant that the 751's?
Seems like a waste of money...? Or am I wrong?

Any ideas about the coppers? As they seems to be less bassy but have much better clarity.

Dec 1, 2010 at 6:11 PM Post #9 of 39
I am no Audiophilia so cannot comment too much on the sound.  All I can really say is that the MTPG trebles seems less bright compared to that of the C751.  The sound is much more warmer/smoother, where the C751 treble was more bright without doing any EQ tweaking, the vocals on the C751 sounded more clear then it does with MTPG.  But with some EQ tweaking the MTPG do sound great. It still my first day with them, the sound might change when more buringing is done.  If the copper has better treble and little less bass, I would go for them or look at another IEM.
Quote:
Thanks a lot for the reply...
My problem with the 751's is the fact that they are bassy but lack clarity...
You are telling me that the MTPG are less clear/vibrant that the 751's?
Seems like a waste of money...? Or am I wrong?

Any ideas about the coppers? As they seems to be less bassy but have much better clarity.

Dec 1, 2010 at 6:20 PM Post #10 of 39
With my first day with the MTPG, I still prefer the C751 over them, at the moment I am listening to Kings of Leon and it does not sound bright or clear as it did with the C751,  At the moment I am thinking I should of went with the C710.

Dec 1, 2010 at 6:51 PM Post #11 of 39
hmmm interesting...the 710's did sound great when I heard them...
But paying £100? for that little extra...No really up for it.

The MTPG do open up with burn-in or so I hear (Pun intended lol)
However, the price I will be getting them at is around £60 cheaper than anyone can get in the UK or EU as a matter of fact...
So it's probably worth me getting them, trying them, if I don't like them, sell them for the price I bought them at.
TBH I could even sell them for profit, but that's against my will so to speak lol

Quote:
With my first day with the MTPG, I still prefer the C751 over them, at the moment I am listening to Kings of Leon and it does not sound bright or clear as it did with the C751,  At the moment I am thinking I should of went with the C710.

Dec 1, 2010 at 7:05 PM Post #12 of 39

For £60 cheaper I would go for them.  I have been at moment playing around with different tips as it came so many different tips and with some of the the treble opens up much better and reduces the bass tad little but not much and sounds a little closer to the C751.
Quote:
hmmm interesting...the 710's did sound great when I heard them...
But paying £100? for that little extra...No really up for it.

The MTPG do open up with burn-in or so I hear (Pun intended lol)
However, the price I will be getting them at is around £60 cheaper than anyone can get in the UK or EU as a matter of fact...
So it's probably worth me getting them, trying them, if I don't like them, sell them for the price I bought them at.
TBH I could even sell them for profit, but that's against my will so to speak lol

Quote:

Dec 1, 2010 at 7:09 PM Post #13 of 39
I got mine from eBay for £80, the seller had over 2000+ postive ratings and was not selling any other headphones or sold any apart from some bose products and their was no complaint about fakes on his ratings.  Today when I recieved them, I knew straight away they were genuine when I listened to them as no fake can sound this good.  Then I compared my one to the pictures of the fakes on the web and mine were defo real.  I  took the plunnge and got lucky.

Dec 1, 2010 at 7:11 PM Post #14 of 39
"I currently own the Denon 751, they are good, bass is deep, but they are heavy phones, and the mids/highs seems to be not as apparent."

I have a MTPG and they are heavy too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back