Monster Turbine Pro Copper
May 14, 2010 at 11:31 AM Post #886 of 1,752
Quote:
How bad is the level of volume on this? I was told it was quite quiet.

1-2 extra on the volume is enough to compensate for me at least, the sensitivity is lower than some, but not significantly lower.

Finally have majority of my review written up, just have to take a few pictures and clean up some things. Is it a good idea to start a new thread, or just post it here? It's a long-ish review, so wondering if it's a good idea to put it in a different thread.

May 14, 2010 at 12:00 PM Post #887 of 1,752

Quote:
Quote:

1-2 extra on the volume is enough to compensate for me at least, the sensitivity is lower than some, but not significantly lower.

Finally have majority of my review written up, just have to take a few pictures and clean up some things. Is it a good idea to start a new thread, or just post it here? It's a long-ish review, so wondering if it's a good idea to put it in a different thread.

Depends on how much time you put into it. If I worked hard writing up a review I would want people to see it and give it exposure. Which would make sense to post it in a different thread. It could easily get buried in the pages of this 60 page thread and wouldn't be as accessible as a dedicated thread for someone searching the forums for a review. Up to you though.

May 14, 2010 at 12:11 PM Post #888 of 1,752
Second the new thread notion, not sure how many people would really see it in a 60 page thread except for those that are already active in it.

On the volume question:
I have found the Coppers to be more than loud enough at right under half volume on my Ipod Classic. There really isn't any need to worry about your player being unable to drive them well or proud a loud enough sound.

May 14, 2010 at 1:46 PM Post #889 of 1,752
add the review under head-gear that way it helps people looking there for information on IEM's

May 15, 2010 at 4:17 PM Post #890 of 1,752

Quote:
Second the new thread notion, not sure how many people would really see it in a 60 page thread except for those that are already active in it.

On the volume question:
I have found the Coppers to be more than loud enough at right under half volume on my Ipod Classic. There really isn't any need to worry about your player being unable to drive them well or proud a loud enough sound.

Volume-wise my ipod classic can "drive" all of my full-sized and IEMs without trouble with only up to half of max volume at the most, but quality will not be that great compared to my Minibox-E+.
atsmile.gif

May 18, 2010 at 6:38 PM Post #892 of 1,752
After waiting around a week (shipping from opposite sides of the country; WA to FL and unfortunate weekend shipping delays), I have the Monster Turbine Pro Coppers!

Burned them in for about 24 hours and am now giving them some serious listening.

I just have to say that the velvety, black box they came in really do emphasis the quality of this set. At first when I took them out they were surprisingly heavy. Almost to the point where I feared they would be too uncomfortable and present in the ears. Fortunately, it was the complete opposite for me. There are times when I forget these are in my ears, which is a big big plus and sigh of relief. They are really comfortable, there is no contact with the outer part of my ear and the pressure in the canal is just fine. Although I'm sure that with different tips it can only get better.

Now, one of the main issues so far, which is also the reason I won't go in depth in sound quality and impressions just yet, is the fit and tip issues. The MTPCs come with a vast variety of tips but only a couple actually pleased (fit) me. I'm really bummed that the neither of the Monster SuperTips fit me, I was expecting them to include a small but I must have misread some of the reviews mentioning the included tips. I also didn't get any of the white foam hybrid tips which I was sure were the tips I were going to use, but sadly I will have to live without them for now until I get them. So right now I'm alternating between the triple flanges and the Comply's to decide which give me better sound quality + isolation compromise. For now I'm sticking with the Comply's and that's what I'm basing these impressions on. 

Another thing is sensitivity. It seems that compared to everything else I've used, these require more volume to get them to sound exceptional. At lower volumes you really don't hear all the clarity and detail that you hear when it is at a healthy, robust volume. That's when they really shine.

Now that the issues are out of the way, onto the sound.

So far I really have nothing to compare it to but my 60i's but WOW these MTPCs deserve all the support they are receiving and more if it is any indication based on what I'm hearing.

The bass is punchy. A welcome and needed change from the 60i's. Now, the thing about the MTPC's is that it only has bass when the song demands it. Which to me, is something I actually praise it for. Most of the other IEMs that I've tried have that constant boom that overpowers and creeps into the mids that certainly please bassheads but I find a little unwelcome. When I'm listening to deep house or something similar that's when I want that steady bass line to come in and deliver that quick impact which I believe these do incredibly well; or just better than the 60i's haha.

The only thing that seems to be severed slightly is the highs. Is this because of the Comply's? It seems like they are restricting the range a bit. I guess I will find out when I experiment with other 3rd party tips. 

Another thing that stands out from the Grados is the instrument seperation. I can clearly, with ease, pick out everything I hear in a lineup. Which is fantastic! Something that was a bit fuzzy with the 60i's. So, mids are just as good as other users say they are. The vocals are lush, rich and full of detail. It's really something else to have those sensual female vocals whispering into your ear with all the detail in the world. 

I just can't believe the sound that's coming from these. Also knowing that I might just be scratching the tip of the iceberg here seeing as I still haven't even found a tip that I like 100% is amazing.

Now I know I'm sort of comparing apples to oranges here, but seeing as it's my only decent point of comparison, just go with me here.

Also keep in mind I've only used entry level IEMs (UE/Altec Lansing models, etc), so my raving could just very well be the sudden exposure to and immersion of quality IEM sound. Either way, I tried to keep it subdued as possible and trying not to sound like a little kid because these are really that good to me.

And I have messaged SoundMatters12 about the tip issues and I should hopefully be receiving the right tips in the near future. Once those come in I'm sure the experience will just get that much better. I'll be able to actually sit down and write about what I hear when I get something that not only gives me great isolation but also uncovers the broad range.

Until then!

May 18, 2010 at 9:19 PM Post #893 of 1,752
I've noticed that mine have gotten smoother lately.
atsmile.gif

May 19, 2010 at 1:19 PM Post #895 of 1,752
May 19, 2010 at 5:56 PM Post #897 of 1,752
nice impressions indeed :) You know what..there are too many iem's here with not enough money in my wallet these days. I still don't have a much needed dynamic driver iem :p

May 21, 2010 at 5:33 PM Post #898 of 1,752

Quote:
i sent a message to monster support twice regarding the problem with the gap on the left earpiece + sudden drop in volume on my MTPC but i haven't got an answer yet. also mailed SoundMatters12 but i guess he hasn't been on this forum for quite a while. also the cable on my lil jamz seem to be messed up. when you move the cable the sound comes and goes. :x
....should i give them a call or what???

Hi fl. Sending you a PM now to get this take care of. Thanks!

May 21, 2010 at 6:47 PM Post #899 of 1,752

Quote:

The only thing that seems to be severed slightly is the highs. Is this because of the Comply's? It seems like they are restricting the range a bit. I guess I will find out when I experiment with other 3rd party tips. 

Once you get the tips sorted, the treble should sound just a touch or hair above neutral.  If not, the tips are inserted too deep, just move them further out of the canal a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back