Monster Turbine Pro Copper
Feb 11, 2010 at 12:54 AM Post #31 of 1,752
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The box is ... while overlarge, a great box. Monster do a good job of quality impressions from the first.

If you get bored and wanna post pics feel free.....
wink_face.gif

Feb 11, 2010 at 1:06 AM Post #32 of 1,752
I have them...pretty good out of the box. Odd as it is, the included tips didn't seem to work well for me, so I found some silicon tips slightly larger than the included silicon and a little more dense that seem to work well.

They are burning in to give them a fair shot against my IE8 and CK10.

Feb 11, 2010 at 1:22 AM Post #33 of 1,752
Quote:

Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have them...pretty good out of the box. Odd as it is, the included tips didn't seem to work well for me, so I found some silicon tips slightly larger than the included silicon and a little more dense that seem to work well.

They are burning in to give them a fair shot against my IE8 and CK10.

Great! The more ears the better.

The tips you refer too, are they the silicon/foam tips? Because I really had high hopes for them.

Feb 11, 2010 at 1:26 AM Post #34 of 1,752
The super tips just didn't work. I will probably give them one more go, but the large just didn't want to stay in my ear as the regular silicon collapses a little to fit, and the internal material seemed to prevent that. And the smaller ones also didn't work as they were too small to achieve a good seal. But I have odd ears as so many of the high end IEMs stock tips just don't seem to do it for me.

Feb 11, 2010 at 2:07 AM Post #35 of 1,752
Quote:

Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The super tips just didn't work. I will probably give them one more go, but the large just didn't want to stay in my ear as the regular silicon collapses a little to fit, and the internal material seemed to prevent that. And the smaller ones also didn't work as they were too small to achieve a good seal. But I have odd ears as so many of the high end IEMs stock tips just don't seem to do it for me.

wanna sell your supertips to me?
tongue.gif

Feb 11, 2010 at 5:53 AM Post #37 of 1,752
Sorry, not selling the super tips. I am going to give them another go, plus, I like to have as many tip options at my finger tips as possible
smily_headphones1.gif

And this Copper is sounding very good. It has excellent clarity and nice instrument separation for a dynamic.

Feb 11, 2010 at 10:48 PM Post #38 of 1,752
Monster just sent me out some ear tips (larger) .........That was good enough to get me to pull the trigger on the copper, looking forward to hearing the difference between them and my gold.........I have looked, but found no impressions on the miles davis set yet. Anyone seen a thread or heard anything on them?

Feb 12, 2010 at 1:36 AM Post #39 of 1,752
MTPC(Monster Turbine Pro Copper) Impressions

After a long and tedious wait......pics are taken off my Droid so excuse imperfections. *Disclaimer*These are just impressions with relatively 5hrs of use. I will post final impressions next week after substantial burn-in.

2010-02-11171102.jpg

Build Quality: I won't go too much into this as many have expressed their opinions on the great construction of these phones(Gold version is identical). They're built like a tank! All metal housings coupled with a fantastic cable that seems to lack any memory at all, makes the MTP seem like they will last a long life. The only quarrel I have is with the lack of strain reliefs in most obvious places(See pic below). Even the reliefs on the plug and below the phones are entirely too stiff. Microphonics are about average from what I've heard, but are completely eliminated when worn over the ear.

2010-02-11184802.jpg

Accessories: For a retail price of $400 I'd expect Monster to throw in the kitchen sink and for the most part they don't disappoint. Again I won't go deep into something that has been discussed already. The included pouch is nice but I believe they should have included a larger case. The one given to Klipsch X-10 and Custom 3 owners is of much better usefulness.

Monster included a vast amount tips for your disposal. S/M/L silicons, M/L tri-flanges, black Comply T-400's and their new super tips. I was expecting the tips included with the copper version of these phones to be the silicon/foam hybrid tips I've been hearing about, to my disappointment they were the gel filled ones. Almost jinxed by average joe (j/k
wink_face.gif
), these tips do not perform as well as I expected. It seems that there isn't enough movement/dead space in these tips to form a proper seal. If there was less gel in the tip I think these would work great but neither size yielded an air tight seal.

2010-02-11184653.jpg

Sound Quality: This was done w/ 7g Ipod>High End ZY Cable>P3+>ALAC. Since the RE0 has become a staple iem that many head-fier's own, I think it would be easiest to do a quick comparison of the two.

Bass: Slightly forward, not bass shy like the RE0. Has great mid bass quantity and clarity but lacks the low rumble and reverb of bass monsters like my C710's. RE0 has faster attack and decay but the MTPC isn't far behind.

Midrange: This was by far the most enjoyable part of the MTPC. Neutral/slightly forward presentation but so smooth/warm. Makes the RE0 sound lifeless and sucked out for most male vocals. Detail is outstanding but seems to lack the micro detail of the RE0, still no slouch.

Highs: As much as I enjoy the high end control and sparkle of these phones, they still cannot match the extension and forwardness of the RE0. Every part of the high end is detailed and controlled but just a hair behind the treble king.

Soundstage/Seperation: Both were remarkable. Soundstage was very wide and coupled with the fantastic instrument separation, makes this phones presentation airy, open and inviting.

Burn-in impressions to come.

Added 2/23/10
With roughly 100hrs. on these now I can confidently say that Monster did by no means take their professional series phones lightly. With a limited lifetime warranty that screams serious dedication to a product, they seal the deal with seemingly indestructible build quality. Coming into a seemingly flooded market of high end universal fit monitors, the MTPC takes it's place among the top tier monitors. Everything from the included accessories to the creation of new types of "super tips" begs the question "What does Monster have up it's sleeve next?". I personally am relieved to see a company that may still be frowned upon for it's overpriced interconnects take a step back and realize another market they can expand and profit in.

My overall experience with the MTPC has been stellar. Coming from another well constructed set of iems (CK10) these keep in my high expectations for durability. Being able to wear them down or up is another great aspect (I prefer up using phonak ear guides). After exhausting many tip combinations I ended up with the grey silicon PFE tips in primary use. These tips retain all of the great sound I get with the sony hybrids but also extend the treble forward. Creating a crisp, spacious and dynamic sound. Through extended listening sessions my belief is these iems benefit from a decent amount of burn-in. Bass becomes very tight and punchy, though still lacks reverb in its extension. This recession in the sub bass helps the mid bass stand out and helps retain the neutrality in the MTPC. Never too pronounced, the full mid bass cuts off almost perfectly to the midrange. Instruments, female and male vocals are depicted with the utmost clarity and timbre. Every note and chorus is the way music should be enjoyed, effortlessly and full of emotion. The slightly forward presentation of the mids helps with detail retrieval and subtle nuances in sound. With a little help from the phonak tips, treble becomes just as enjoyable as the rest of the frequencies. Fully extended and again slightly forward would be the nearest description of the high end on these phones. Sparkle and clarity with uniform treble control is to be appreciated with these phones. Not to be outdone, soundstage and seperation remain to be a large part of why the MTPC are a keeper in my book. On top of a neutral sound signature, the expansive feeling of being surrounded by drums, cymbals and vocals is nothing short of amazing. Each in their respective areas, none overpowering the others.

Among all this I have to ask "What does Monster have up it's sleeve next?"

Feb 12, 2010 at 1:56 AM Post #41 of 1,752
Quote:

Originally Posted by daouda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice impressions, these indeed seem great but at 400$ a very average value considering RE0 is more than four times cheaper

I agree completely. I actually did some comparisons between the MTPC and the Cyclone PR1-pro due to similar frequency responce. And at $40 I was amazed how well the cyclones faired. Other than the slightly recessed/dry mids of the cyclone all other aspects of the two were comparable. I still believe the PR1's to be the best bang/buck in iem's.

Feb 12, 2010 at 2:05 AM Post #42 of 1,752
Hehe with the pr1pro we're talking TEN TIMES cheaper, and SQ doesnt seem to be ten times inferior, not even close. I love the pr1pro but i feel the same way you do : i would love them so much more with a tad warmer mids and even though i dont think they are recessed with a good fit, having them a tiny bit forward would be much sweeter for my tastes.
So while those MTP definitely look like pretty much the perfect fit for my tastes, there's no way i would plunk down this kind of money for them.
Im waiting for my panasonic HJE900 to arrive, hope they will satisfy me!
It will be very interesting to see joker reviews of both those IEMs (even though joker owns the gold version)

Feb 12, 2010 at 2:19 AM Post #43 of 1,752
Please post your impressions of the HJE900, I'm very interested in either those or the Hippo VB's for a new bass fix
tongue.gif

Feb 12, 2010 at 2:26 AM Post #44 of 1,752
I've owned the VBs for a while already but the panasonics will take some time to arrive here in france (probably around 3 weeks). From what i've read though the panas dont seem to qualify as a basshead phone (unless you use some kind of bass boost) even though they are far from bass lacking (a little more bass than pr1pro from what i've been said)

Feb 12, 2010 at 3:59 AM Post #45 of 1,752
Quote:

Originally Posted by daouda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hehe with the pr1pro we're talking TEN TIMES cheaper, and SQ doesnt seem to be ten times inferior, not even close. I love the pr1pro but i feel the same way you do : i would love them so much more with a tad warmer mids and even though i dont think they are recessed with a good fit, having them a tiny bit forward would be much sweeter for my tastes.
So while those MTP definitely look like pretty much the perfect fit for my tastes, there's no way i would plunk down this kind of money for them.
Im waiting for my panasonic HJE900 to arrive, hope they will satisfy me!
It will be very interesting to see joker reviews of both those IEMs (even though joker owns the gold version)

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, you're revealing the big secret of audio-nerds: Vastly dimishing returns.

A $50 dollar earphone is 85%+ as good as a $500 one. A $100 dollar earphone is 90%+ as good as a $1000 dollar one. Not to mention that flagship iems regularly go for 1/2 their MSRP or even much less. You can get a Klipsch custom 3 for a $100 on ebay.

Also, there are serious FOTM issues. The RE0 has a lot of people saying it has pretty good bass and isn't too thin and dry with probably over a hundred different posts now on using amps, eartips, etc. to try and make up for the anemic bass and lifeless mids... That's only an example, but it's easy to pick on the FOTM.

Earphones that get panned here and/or lack their own echo chamber still can make people very happy listening to them. Take the Sony Mdr-ex500 or ex300. These are fine phones with very nice bass and a smooth sound. I know people that love them. But there's no real mention of them on head-fi.

So yeah, subjective tastes plus very mobile price points plus reviews reflecting a desire to be validated in various ways as much as a previously noted subjective taste plus huge variance in actual sound based on DAP/amp/eartips/ear-fit/how the audio was recorded and the quality of the file etc etc etc means that we're all wasting a lot of money and talking a zepplin worth of hot gas.

Fun, huh? I can't wait for my MTP-c to come tomorrow!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back