Monster Turbine Pro Anyone?
Jan 7, 2010 at 3:07 PM Post #16 of 36
Shigzeo, thanks for the comments. I look forward to your review.

Regarding the copper vs. gold Pros, it does not appear that the copper has been, or even will be, released. Most retailers I have seen offer only the gold version. While the copper was rumored to be more neutral, I have a concern about the copper coating, which may oxidize easily. While I prefer the most neutral sounding devices, I didn't want my Pros' coating to oxidize and flake off or turn into some sort of steampunk IEM.

Jan 7, 2010 at 6:00 PM Post #17 of 36
Monster actually lists the copper version under a separate page now. Maybe we'll see it available widely eventually.
http://www.monstercable.com/productdisplay.asp?pin=5734
I don't think the copper is a real copper-material coating - I am sure they didn't coat the gold version with real gold anyway. But yeah, sweat-oxidized copper would be nasty.

Jan 7, 2010 at 6:56 PM Post #18 of 36
Good find. I am happy enough with the gold Pros, but question if another $100 for copper version is worth it. I bought my Pros for $250 and find that a good price/bargain for the quality and improvements over the original Turbines, but $350-400 would require these to be another order of magnitude better. I won't pass judgement unless I hear the copper Pros, but that's a lot of coin.

Jan 7, 2010 at 10:46 PM Post #19 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjmai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Monster actually lists the copper version under a separate page now. Maybe we'll see it available widely eventually.
Monster® Turbine™ Pro Special Edition Copper Professional In-Ear Speakers™

Add to that the press release Monster farmed out yesterday, and it does seem pretty likely that the copper version will soon be seeing the light of day...

Not too keen on the price boost myself, but Dobber65 is probably right to withhold judgment until they're released.

Jan 8, 2010 at 3:32 AM Post #20 of 36
GREAT review Dobber...thanks.

I was going to start another thread (and I sill might) with my initial impressions of my Monster Beat Tours (w/Control Talk), but thought I would chime in here.

As with Dobber, I am not wanting to start a flame war over Monster the company, but merely post my honest impressions of these IEM's.

I assume most of us on here don't take seriously the high bling and celebrity endorsements of the Beats line from Monster. Excuse me, the Beats, by Dr. Dre line. Even Lady Gaga joined in.

Frankly I didn't either, until my son got the big Beats (Studio I think they are called), and I listened. The presentation was certainly exaggerated...but...but..but, I liked listening to them. As Dobber said eloquently, it's about the music. And I found myself listening to the music, not the headphones. For lack of a better term, they are "easy" to listen to; fun; engaging.

Enter the Tours. So I give my son the Tours as a present, for easier traveling, and to use with iPhone. Of course I try 'em out. And now I own a pair!

Number one...from a purely practical point of view, the Tours are super convenient in commuting: easy to put in and out of ears, tangle-free flat cord, low-profile right angle connector, and best of all, a fully functional mic/control built in to use all the iPhone features without touching the phone (volume, skip, answer, etc.).

As for the sound...I love it. My most recent daily IEMs have been Shure 530's with mic accessory for a couple years. Those replaced Ety 4P's that I had for many years. In between and in addition, I try out way too many others in the $50 to $200 range.

So, the Tours sound like in-ear Studios. Incredible bass. I am talking slam. Very good imaging. Crisp transients. FUN! Listen to the music and have ultimate convenience with your iPhone.

That's all for now. But chalk me up to very surprised in a good way.

Jan 8, 2010 at 9:05 AM Post #22 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by epithetless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Add to that the press release Monster farmed out yesterday.

Wow, even the SuperTips are getting a foam version in addition to existing rubber/gel version.

Jan 8, 2010 at 9:38 AM Post #23 of 36
The super tips are a good idea, but the foam version sill probably be best. I have been asking and asking for Monster to add a low density foam to its kit for a long time with no reply. The super tips may ultimately not be what I had hoped for, but certainly a step in the right direction.

Jan 9, 2010 at 4:40 AM Post #24 of 36
I got my MTP today and I have to say they sound very nice.

I'm using the soft silicone tips, as the super tips don't like my ears.

I tried Comply T-400 and they work for me too.

I think these might be keepers. (excellent warranty)

Jan 9, 2010 at 8:36 PM Post #25 of 36
Where is the best place to purchase these (MTPG or C)?

Jan 9, 2010 at 9:43 PM Post #26 of 36
I purchased mine from Headroom, but lots of Head-Fi's sponsors carry them, or Amazon is another alternative.

Jan 10, 2010 at 4:21 AM Post #28 of 36
I thought I saw on the Monster website (or one of their CES press releases) that the Turbines can be had with Control Talk, but I don't really see these anywhere to order. And to reiterate, the features of Control Talk are really helpful to me as a commuter listening on the iPhone.

I also saw on Monster site...coming soon: the Diddy Beats. No wonder they don't get taken "seriously."

Still enjoying the Tours.

Jan 13, 2010 at 3:32 PM Post #30 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by alphaphoenix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anybody listened to the MTP Miles Davis edition? I'm surprised that Newegg carries them. Regardless, my MTP are keepers.

Those would have to sound like god to make it worth buying over the MTP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back