Monster NCredible N-Ergy Impressions
Jun 19, 2014 at 10:21 PM Post #121 of 162
These sound good with the foam tips from the JVC Marshmallows. I'm going to try the tape mod.

Jul 3, 2014 at 8:47 PM Post #122 of 162
Just got these tonight and was highly impressed out of the box. Bright but full, crisp but not harsh. Those are hard lines to straddle for me, and they did so perfectly.

Then I did that tape mod, and...well, they are nearly perfect for me now! Bass filled out a lot, mids too. Highs are slightly smoother now, so it should be less fatiguing.

Audiophiles, get these and don't mod them. Consumers, get them and do.

Jul 4, 2014 at 10:55 PM Post #123 of 162
Just got these tonight and was highly impressed out of the box. Bright but full, crisp but not harsh. Those are hard lines to straddle for me, and they did so perfectly.

Then I did that tape mod, and...well, they are nearly perfect for me now! Bass filled out a lot, mids too. Highs are slightly smoother now, so it should be less fatiguing.

Audiophiles, get these and don't mod them. Consumers, get them and do.

N-Ergy's really are great headphones.  I never understood why they didn't get more attention because even as an entry level product, they're very, very competitive from the standpoints of sound quality and design.

Jul 5, 2014 at 10:08 AM Post #125 of 162
Yeah, these are good out of the box and perfect with that tape mod. Very lively sound with strong but not muddying bass. That sounds oddly familiar from a Monster IEM set...

There are some downsides to modding though. You'll get a decent amount of driver flex that is very sensitive to insertion depth. Also, while they are in your ears, you will feel like your ears are somewhat plugged up. By no means are these dealbreakers for me. If something sounds this great, then I'll wear it. All the time.

Aug 17, 2014 at 7:20 PM Post #127 of 162
  This is a long bump, but for people who have these or can try them on the cheap, try this - there's a vent hole on the body just below the nozzle, cover it with a piece of tape.  The bass goes from tight and punchy to the smooth, deep Monster bass.  Pretty well turns it in to a completely different set of headphones.

Hi, are you talking of the little vent located just down the letter L(eft) and R(ight) ? 

Sep 24, 2014 at 4:38 PM Post #130 of 162
Sorry for bumping but I have bought my pair today for fun and I think I will be returning them unfortunately. I wanted to see how these sounded and they really were not for me. The bass is fairly punchy, and the mids are there I guess, but the treble.. It sounds very artificial and pushed back and it's like listening to a hollow shell or something.I can't really describe it well but the treble just sounds wrong contrary to what people have been saying about the treble. 

I have just tried the tape mod and I found that the bass is really warm now and seems a bit overbearing at times. 

For 59.99 USD, I will be getting my money back.

Sep 27, 2014 at 11:34 AM Post #132 of 162
  Burn-in time for 50 hours is a must:)
Also original Monster tips are not perfect for all, try Sony Hybrids.

I have now burned them for about 50 hours. The small ear tips fit just fine on my right ear; my left ear canal is shaped a little different so it does get uncomfortable for my left ear.

I am driving these off a Fiio Andes E07K and am listening to various FLAC, 320 KBPS MP3's, and some CD rips in WAV. I should also note that I like my headphones to have more of the more "exciting sound" so a bit slightly V-shaped with a more energy in the treble.

Without the "tape mod", these sound a little boring without much of the treble energy. Sounds a bit hollow and just very not energetic. I don't really know, the treble just sounds wrong and artificial to my ears. The bass is just about right with a slight thump in the low end to give the kick to the music. The mids, I feel, are slightly recessed and pushed back and therefore isn't too detailed in the vocals and well the mids.Basically, the mids are a bit drowned out by the bass which gives it a less detailed sound signature.

With the tape mod, it's almost completely different. The soundstage closes by quite a margin and the bass REALLY kicks in when the music demands it. Doing so, it drowns out a lot of the mids and giving it a less detailed sound and really just distracts me from the treble. I can see why some people might like this sound signature but I really don't like it all too much.

Impressions on build: 
I have to give props on the cable. It's a flat cable design but it's extremely light and doesn't give all too much cable noise.

The plastic housing seems a bit cheap to me. I really don't like the plastic design on these and I don't like how the strain relief tilts inward towards the ear which makes fitting the earbud into the ear a bit awkward.

I can't really comment on the microphone all too much since I don't use it but I can say that I don't exactly like the clicking noise that it makes. It just screams "CHEAP".

The cable splitter, oh god.. It's HUGE and extremely tacky. there isn't much strain relief on the cables as well so that can be a bit worrisome. 

The headphones jack is 90 degrees and seems to be a bit short; could be troublesome to users with a chunky phone case if they're going to use it on the go.The strain relief on that is also a bit iffy. Doesn't seem like it will last too long. I'd give it maybe 3-6 months.

The magnetic earbuds are pretty interesting. A bit of a gimmick but it comes useful to those that like to wrap their earbuds around their neck. Works quite well though although it wasn't as strong as I thought they were going to be.

Now these are marketed towards the young adults and teenagers and since I am within the age group, I can say that it's better to look elsewhere. If you REALLY like the design and the gimmick of the magnetic earbuds, sure why not, go buy them and test them out. Just be sure to keep that receipt.

Now it seems more of a rant than an impressions "review" but it really does urk me that these were below my expectations.

Sep 27, 2014 at 5:52 PM Post #133 of 162

Thanks for the 'review' :wink:

But really, thanks. These have been on my 'buy out of curiosity' list for a while now. They are on sale at WalMart for 49 CAD, and I've been debating picking them up all week. I think you made up my mind for me; I like energetic and aggressive treble so these will be a no-go.

On the other hand, you might like the Don Scorpio Bass Colour. They have some nice punchy bass, very energetic treble, and slightly recessed but quality mids. They are very JVC-ish actually...

I'll be posting a review with pictures, likely on Monday, since there seems to be next to no coverage on them. They look like a re-badged Velodyne VPulse, but based on my impressions vs. the VPulse reviews read, me thinks these may have been seriously re-tuned.

Sep 25, 2015 at 2:24 PM Post #134 of 162
sorry for bumping an ancient thread....

waiting on replacements for my Etymotic HF3's, and needed something temporary.  Picked the N-ERGY's up from Wally World for $10...   for that price, I'll keep them as backups...

My question though, is about the N-Lite model..   I picked it up as well (and noticed the N-ERGY behind it by mistake).  All in all, I walked out with both pair for less than $50.

Looking at the two, they seem like exactly the same 'phones....   What are the differences?  I'm not finding anything...   Seems like the N-Lite may have replaced the N-ERGY?

thx,
-j

Sep 25, 2015 at 4:14 PM Post #135 of 162
Do they sound the same? I've been wondering about this myself, as my Nergys are beginning to show some wear and tear. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back