Monster Miles Davis Tribute thread
Jul 4, 2011 at 6:27 PM Post #1,366 of 2,269

Quote:
Do the MD have durability problems like the Coppers? I have seen many instances of coppers that have driver flex and glue separation problems with the casing.

Really having a hard time deciding between the Atrio M5s, coppers, golds, or MD. Gotta have my bass...

I was pretty much in-line with what you're thinking right now.  I was considering the Atrio's and the Monster offerings.  For me, what it came down to is this.  I couldn't get used to the looks of the Atrio's.  They just don't look the part of $200 headphones.  I also thought they would fit strange, as I've read that's something that others have experienced.  As for the copper's and gold's, I read a few threads and there seemed to be a recurring message of either a lot of driver flex on insertion of the phones, or the glue on the casings would give up, and people were shipping them back for warranty repair.  While there are reports of that with the MDT's, it seems to be much less frequent.  The solid casing of the MDT's also prevents glue from giving up.  And overall, the looks of the MDT's are top notch.  I've been listening to them since I got them today, and I'm just so happy with the sound.

Jul 5, 2011 at 10:23 AM Post #1,367 of 2,269

Quote:

I was pretty much in-line with what you're thinking right now.  I was considering the Atrio's and the Monster offerings.  For me, what it came down to is this.  I couldn't get used to the looks of the Atrio's.  They just don't look the part of $200 headphones.  I also thought they would fit strange, as I've read that's something that others have experienced.  As for the copper's and gold's, I read a few threads and there seemed to be a recurring message of either a lot of driver flex on insertion of the phones, or the glue on the casings would give up, and people were shipping them back for warranty repair.  While there are reports of that with the MDT's, it seems to be much less frequent.  The solid casing of the MDT's also prevents glue from giving up.  And overall, the looks of the MDT's are top notch.  I've been listening to them since I got them today, and I'm just so happy with the sound.

Glad you love your MDTs, Congrats!
beerchug.gif

As smooth as a butter, warm and lush as a summer's after glow poured into the iem of spa, Thats MDTs for ya
ksc75smile.gif

Jul 6, 2011 at 11:20 AM Post #1,368 of 2,269
Ah he email I was waiting for! They have been received and they will let me know once they ship them back out. On a different note I'll be putting these up for sale as I'm in major need of money as the result of me putting wheels on my car which is much to aggressive and to wide, and hence I now have to buy new tyres/coilovers/ and a camber kit. If you're interested PM me. Cheers.

Jul 9, 2011 at 3:23 PM Post #1,369 of 2,269
http://www.monstercable.com/productdisplay.asp?pin=5716

Wow, apparently even Monster themselves are offering down to $299.95 , Do I smell them shoving out the last batch of MD Limited Pressings before MD finally stopped productions?? Hmm..

Jul 10, 2011 at 3:55 AM Post #1,371 of 2,269

Quote:
I wouldnt worry too much, they often go on sale at their site for that much. Amazon has been putting them up for $250 lately

I'm willing to sell for 170$ like new, 2 weeks old , im gonna be home a lot so im swtchin to headphones :p! PM ME :D

Jul 18, 2011 at 8:37 PM Post #1,373 of 2,269
Was a bit concerned they were fakes at first, even though they came with all the proper accessories and whatnot, since they feel cheaper than the Coppers. But hitting the play button dissipated all doubt...

They sound fantastic already.

Jul 21, 2011 at 10:33 PM Post #1,376 of 2,269
Before I got these I went back and forth from the MTPG and these.  These seem to be a big lighter so quite a bit more comfortable - sound quality on the mids and highs are more defined on the MDT.  So far I am loving them.

Jul 21, 2011 at 10:55 PM Post #1,377 of 2,269
Yeah, definitely lighter than the Golds and Coppers. The Coppers and the Miles Davis are both a sizeable step up from the Golds, IMO. At least when it comes to sound quality.

The Miles Davis' midrange is more forward than the Coppers, and also a smidgeon warmer. I prefer the cooler mids of the Coppers, but love how forward they are on the MD, The highs on the MD are more..."effortless"(?) than on the Coppers, they don't ever seem to strain, or have an edge to them. That edge can actually be preferred for certain genres. The MD has MOAR BASS, which is just a matter of preference. Both have great quality bass, but the MD should be able to satisfy most bassheads, while I can imagine the Coppers would leave them wanting a bit more. Both are fantastic.

I think if I had to pick one I'd go with the Miles Davis. It seems like it's less prone to build quality issues and I've already been burned twice in having to send my Coppers back(split housing one time, broken strain relief another). And I kinda like that blue cable.

Jul 22, 2011 at 4:06 AM Post #1,378 of 2,269
I got these as well from the Best Buy clearance.  I had to drive 8 hours total just to pick them up, but the wife and I made a day of it and we even went to IKEA on the way back (God I hate that place..).  Personally, they're a little too warm for me and the timbre sounds a little too off to me.  I'm generally more an Ety/K701 guy, but it's nice to have something "fun" for when bass is needed.  It's a niche iem for me, and surprisingly not for it's intended "jazz" purposes, as I greatly prefer my ER4S (and especially K701s) for organic instruments.  Drums through these just don't sound as I know them to (being a drummer myself..), but I absolutely love the clarity, instrument separation, and particularly bass, so they've earned a place in my collection.  

Regarding the "driver flex" issue - does it actually exist?  I used many dynamic iems, and never experienced it.  I have experienced one side "dying" as the angle of the speaker shifts - a quick adjustment (re-pointing the speaker into my canal) causes it to come back.  So sound appearing to die or quiet as the speaker points away from the canal I can understand - but enough pressure building up to dismantle the driver I'm more skeptical of.  Well, I guess I'll find out for myself!  I'll post if I experience anything..

Jul 22, 2011 at 1:46 PM Post #1,379 of 2,269

Quote:

If you want to open up the treble and clarity more then none of the stock tips will do that.  You need larger sized bores like the Meelecs.

For me the ER4 doesn't have the proper body, decay and reverb for organic instruments but it's a great phone for its intended purpose.

Jul 22, 2011 at 2:30 PM Post #1,380 of 2,269

Quote:
I got these as well from the Best Buy clearance.  I had to drive 8 hours total just to pick them up, but the wife and I made a day of it and we even went to IKEA on the way back (God I hate that place..).  Personally, they're a little too warm for me and the timbre sounds a little too off to me.  I'm generally more an Ety/K701 guy, but it's nice to have something "fun" for when bass is needed.  It's a niche iem for me, and surprisingly not for it's intended "jazz" purposes, as I greatly prefer my ER4S (and especially K701s) for organic instruments.  Drums through these just don't sound as I know them to (being a drummer myself..), but I absolutely love the clarity, instrument separation, and particularly bass, so they've earned a place in my collection.  

Regarding the "driver flex" issue - does it actually exist?  I used many dynamic iems, and never experienced it.  I have experienced one side "dying" as the angle of the speaker shifts - a quick adjustment (re-pointing the speaker into my canal) causes it to come back.  So sound appearing to die or quiet as the speaker points away from the canal I can understand - but enough pressure building up to dismantle the driver I'm more skeptical of.  Well, I guess I'll find out for myself!  I'll post if I experience anything..

Do try them with sony hybrids if you can, MDTs shines the most at what they were designed to do with those tips imo
etysmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back