Monster Miles Davis Tribute thread
Nov 16, 2010 at 10:14 PM Post #781 of 2,269

Quote:
They"re both mids and bass iems, but they are still very different regardless of that from what i've read. Will be getting mine in a couple of days, so I'll see.  So far i'm predicting less bass quantity, more forward mids and more extended treble from the RE262s coming from MDs. 

Just about every earphone next to the MD has less bass quantity. I'm not sure about forward mids but they are both forward and treble probably has more extension but can't compare as it's been a while since I heard the MD's. The bass quantity is still in line with the RE lineup but a bit more. It's still not a bass head earphone like what the MD could qualify as. It does have better extension than the RE-Zero that I have. The RE262 is pretty different than anything else I've heard. It took me a good amount of time just to be able to grasp it's signature which is why I haven't gotten a review out on them yet even though I've had them for around a month or so.

Nov 22, 2010 at 11:12 AM Post #782 of 2,269

Quote:
Just ordered em from JR! List price is 299 + free shipping, I got it down to $260 
biggrin.gif
 Love JR!

[size=medium]
JR lists them for $399 now (are you sure it was $299)?. What's the best way to get them for $260? Do I need to wait for the list to drop to $299 and then call them to negotiate the price?
[/size]

Nov 23, 2010 at 8:34 PM Post #783 of 2,269
Just got them in! Tried them out to make sure I didn't get a fault pair... the sound is just golden, the vocals are as sweet as honey. Wonderful pair of IEM's and perfect for what my mom listens too!

Nov 27, 2010 at 7:08 PM Post #784 of 2,269
would anyone know how the MD tributes compare to the RE262's?

Nov 27, 2010 at 11:35 PM Post #785 of 2,269

Quote:
would anyone know how the MD tributes compare to the RE262's?

I found the MDs more engaging. It would be hard not to like them.

Dec 7, 2010 at 1:42 AM Post #787 of 2,269
Just received mine, BF purchase from J&R for $260 (thanks for the tip Daanish). Haven't burned them in yet but straight out of the box I've gotta say these are the best IEMs I've owned. Very engaging, sparkling highs, rich bass, layered sounds. Detailed but not harsh. I know these aren't the most analytical cans out there, but I'm still hearing things I haven't heard with other cans. Yikes, hadn't realized some of my albums had such flaws!

If I had one criticism, it's that the bass is a tad too heavy for my tastes. We'll see if it mellows and tightens up with burn in. Not a deal breaker, just an observation. Hmmm, wonder how the MTPCs sound....

Listening straight out of an itouch 3g. Won't be getting an amp as I need a truly portable set up (though I know the MDs improve with amplification).

FWIW, I've had to listen to a pair of $100 Shure's for the past month so lots of cans would sound great at this point! The Shures are a couple years old and have been serving back-up duty since I sent my Triple.Fi's in on warranty a month ago. Won't be going back to the Triple.Fi's either, the MD's are more enjoyable. I've also owned Senn IE8's, which were nice but less engaging - while they had a wider soundstage, the entire sound was more distant.

Dec 7, 2010 at 1:36 PM Post #788 of 2,269

Quote:
Just received mine, BF purchase from J&R for $260 (thanks for the tip Daanish). Haven't burned them in yet but straight out of the box I've gotta say these are the best IEMs I've owned. Very engaging, sparkling highs, rich bass, layered sounds. Detailed but not harsh. I know these aren't the most analytical cans out there, but I'm still hearing things I haven't heard with other cans. Yikes, hadn't realized some of my albums had such flaws!

If I had one criticism, it's that the bass is a tad too heavy for my tastes. We'll see if it mellows and tightens up with burn in. Not a deal breaker, just an observation. Hmmm, wonder how the MTPCs sound....

Listening straight out of an itouch 3g. Won't be getting an amp as I need a truly portable set up (though I know the MDs improve with amplification).

FWIW, I've had to listen to a pair of $100 Shure's for the past month so lots of cans would sound great at this point! The Shures are a couple years old and have been serving back-up duty since I sent my Triple.Fi's in on warranty a month ago. Won't be going back to the Triple.Fi's either, the MD's are more enjoyable. I've also owned Senn IE8's, which were nice but less engaging - while they had a wider soundstage, the entire sound was more distant.

Tips tips tips.  A good selection and insertion for your ears can keep the MD from pounding you in the ears w/ Bass.  The bass will always be ther but you can bring it into balance.  For me the supertips enhance the bass response but the Meelecs balance the spectrum better for me.  More highs, clarity, touch less bass.  But for certain genres and movies its good to know you have the bass when you need it.  Coppers are less engaging and more analytical and brighter w/ a smidge less bass.  Tiny smidge.  
wink.gif

Dec 7, 2010 at 1:50 PM Post #789 of 2,269

You're welcome 
biggrin.gif
 And I agree with Anaxilus, tips are very important

Quote:

Dec 7, 2010 at 2:26 PM Post #790 of 2,269

Quote:

Congrats on picking up the MD's. Your description is right on with what I heard. The Coppers by comparison are a little more analytical sounding, with a somewhat tighter/leaner bass presence. I also heard their soundstage to be a little more congested along one axis across your ears. The MD's seem a little more immersive, and encompassing. The Copper's treble is a bit more biting and edgy, pronounced. Yet I still heard all the same details on the MD's, just not quite as sparkly. Personally, I liked the MD's quite a bit more than the Coppers. You just can't beat that smooth, rich, detailed sound they present.... if you prefer a less analytical sound.

Dec 10, 2010 at 8:51 PM Post #791 of 2,269
just got mine from ebay used in like new condition with a few tips but none of the fancy stuff I really dont want or need. I already own most of miles davis music. They are authentic and I am very happy, thats my third pair of monsters from ebay for less than most have paid for just one pair.
L3000.gif

Dec 10, 2010 at 11:23 PM Post #792 of 2,269
Well,you aren't getting the benefits of the lifetime warranty, unless you have the original receipt proving it was bought from an authorized dealer.

Dec 11, 2010 at 3:15 PM Post #793 of 2,269

Quote:
just got mine from ebay used in like new condition with a few tips but none of the fancy stuff I really dont want or need. I already own most of miles davis music. They are authentic and I am very happy, thats my third pair of monsters from ebay for less than most have paid for just one pair.
L3000.gif

are you sure they're legit? knockoffs never come with the assortment of supertips. They'll come with 1 fake gel supertip, 3 pairs of silicone, and two pairs of triple flanges. The CD doesnt come in the box either, its usually outside

Dec 11, 2010 at 9:08 PM Post #794 of 2,269

Quote:
The CD doesnt come in the box either, its usually outside

?  Mine certainly came in the box. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back