Monster Miles Davis Tribute thread
Aug 31, 2010 at 11:48 PM Post #661 of 2,269

Quote:
Centrance DACport is getting a lot of love from some good ears.

These ears included.  The DacPort is one of the best sounding combination DACs/headAmps, I've ever heard.  Truly a fine piece of engineering.  It runs full Class A and actually generates an 18V rail fron the 5V USB source.  Runs warm too, since it's class A.

Sep 2, 2010 at 11:18 AM Post #662 of 2,269
I tried the Auvio tips and the Sony Hybrids, and I don't care for the Sony Hybrids for the same reason some of the others have stated.  They sound a little too closed in. 

The Auvio tips sound good except for the increased sibilance, and they are not terribly comfortable for me.  I think the area near the tip that protrudes into the canal causes some irritation.  My ears could probably adjust, but I am not sure it is worth it at this point.  Just to clarify, they don't make the earphones sibilant, but it is more pronounced than the Monster tips when there is sibilance in the recording.  On a side note, the Auvio tips are like plungers in the ear.  They can really get sucked pretty tight to the ear canal.  I don't think I have experienced that much of a seal with any of the other tips I have tried.

Does anyone know if this is the case with the meelec tips?  I probably won't bother ordering them if it is.

Sep 2, 2010 at 2:15 PM Post #663 of 2,269

Quote:
I tried the Auvio tips and the Sony Hybrids, and I don't care for the Sony Hybrids for the same reason some of the others have stated.  They sound a little too closed in. 

The Auvio tips sound good except for the increased sibilance, and they are not terribly comfortable for me.  I think the area near the tip that protrudes into the canal causes some irritation.  My ears could probably adjust, but I am not sure it is worth it at this point.  Just to clarify, they don't make the earphones sibilant, but it is more pronounced than the Monster tips when there is sibilance in the recording.  On a side note, the Auvio tips are like plungers in the ear.  They can really get sucked pretty tight to the ear canal.  I don't think I have experienced that much of a seal with any of the other tips I have tried.

Does anyone know if this is the case with the meelec tips?  I probably won't bother ordering them if it is.

My experience was that the meelec tips sounded like a slightly smoother, much more comfortable version of the auvio. My meelecs needed to be cleaned more regularly than the auvios or they would slide off the nozzle, but other folks didn't have that problem. It may be due to my habit of cleaning my ears (well, pretty much everywhere) with astroglide, but that's just baseless speculation which is totally unreasonable if you ask me.

Sep 2, 2010 at 4:06 PM Post #664 of 2,269
the (edit: meant m11 or m11+)/m9 biflanges by meelec are the best tips for these imo. But even better might be the new short biflanges for the m11+ or the sennheiser short biflanges. Auveo tip and ue single flanges will be runners up for me.

Sep 2, 2010 at 4:59 PM Post #665 of 2,269
Thanks for the updates.  I just ordered the m11+ tips, so I guess I will find out.  I really like the Sennheiser double flange, and the m11+ double flange looks identical.  The positive reports about these tips coupled with my previous experience with the Sennheiser tips has me really hopeful.

I don't dislike the monster super tips as much as others seem to.  My problem is that they don't stay in my ear.  The foam on the hybrids seems too hard, so it slides out or is uncomfortable if I go up a size.  It is disappointing because I think the sound is good enough, although not the best, and the isolation is fantastic for when I need it.  The gel tips also slide out, but I am not sure why.  It also seems to be primarily with just my left ear.  The Auvio, Sony hybrid, Monster silicone, and Sennheiser all fit fine without any issue.

I wonder what a doulbe flange would be like with regular silicone in the front and gel filled in the rear.

Quote:
the m6/m9 biflanges by meelec are the best tips for these imo. But even better might be the new short biflanges for the m11+ or the sennheiser short biflanges. Auveo tip and ue single flanges will be runners up for me.

Sep 2, 2010 at 9:48 PM Post #666 of 2,269

Quote:
the (edit: meant m11 or m11+)/m9 biflanges by meelec are the best tips for these imo. But even better might be the new short biflanges for the m11+ or the sennheiser short biflanges. Auveo tip and ue single flanges will be runners up for me.

I second that. Just received the M11+ tips today and so far the short bi-flange works best for me on my coppers. Seem to be able to get a consistent fit with them. Sound is smooth and very balanced. Not too much bass and nice mids and highs. The long single tips also sound really nice but I have a harder time getting the same fit every time.

Sep 10, 2010 at 10:07 PM Post #668 of 2,269

Quote:
Thanks Anaxilus; The Meelec small one piece did the trick after trying about five different brands! 

No problem!  Glad they worked out.

Sep 12, 2010 at 1:26 AM Post #669 of 2,269
I've got my sights set on owning a pair of these. Would you guys agree that this is one of the best universal IEMs around?

Sep 12, 2010 at 1:31 AM Post #670 of 2,269

Quote:
I've got my sights set on owning a pair of these. Would you guys agree that this is one of the best universal IEMs around?

What do you want from your IEM as far as sound signature and functionality?  If you like the Golds, they sound like a better version w/ more technical ability and mid presentation.

Sep 12, 2010 at 1:42 AM Post #671 of 2,269

Quote:
What do you want from your IEM as far as sound signature and functionality?  If you like the Golds, they sound like a better version w/ more technical ability and mid presentation.

I LOVE my Golds. If they are a better version of it, I'm pretty much sold.

Sep 13, 2010 at 11:01 PM Post #673 of 2,269

Quote:
I LOVE my Golds. If they are a better version of it, I'm pretty much sold.

I haven't heard the Golds, but I can tell you they smoked the Coppers in side by side comparisons. I think they're quite a special earphone. 

Sep 13, 2010 at 11:06 PM Post #674 of 2,269

Quote:
Just a question in regards to the Miles Davis earphones. Has anyone discovered any fakes or knockoffs of this product?

Thanks,

I would say any MD's sold new in box and sealed for less than $220 is a red flag unless they are a Headfier that had special circumstances and needed to sell.

Sep 13, 2010 at 11:08 PM Post #675 of 2,269

Quote:
I haven't heard the Golds, but I can tell you they smoked the Coppers in side by side comparisons. I think they're quite a special earphone. 

While I personally agree w/ respect to sound signature, I think it is a matter of taste in what you want from your IEM.  
wink_face.gif
  The Coppers have some technical advantages but they simply weren't engaging or 'fun' enough for me personally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back