Monster Miles Davis Tribute thread
Aug 2, 2010 at 10:52 AM Post #571 of 2,269
I liked them significantly better than the Coppers, if that gives you any sort of idea how good they are.

Aug 2, 2010 at 11:13 AM Post #575 of 2,269
Wow, I would say I heard a larger soundstage on the MD's. Maybe they're about the same width overall, but the MD's were much more 3D sounding to me. The Coppers seemed more confined to the axis across my ears, and were more 'earphone-like'. MD's bass was slightly more full in the mid-bass area, but both had about equal lowest extension. And yeah, I found the treble smoother on the MD's, while the Coppers were slightly more biting. But some think that very quality equates to more treble sparkle with the Coppers. 

Aug 2, 2010 at 11:22 AM Post #576 of 2,269
You did have the MD's longer than I did as mine was a extended loan (more than long enough to judge their sound however) but I found the stage larger on the Coppers than the MD's when I compared them. I found them more closed in compared to the Coppers but I guess maybe we heard them differently. I did like the bass on the MD's more than the Coppers which was a bit off since the MD's hit a bit harder if I remember correctly since most of my phones outside of the Coppers have a lot less bass and closer to neutrality than either of the two.

Aug 2, 2010 at 11:29 AM Post #577 of 2,269
Yeah, that happens sometimes for various reasons, people will hear the same earphone quite differently. No worries! 
ksc75smile.gif

Aug 2, 2010 at 1:21 PM Post #578 of 2,269
I agree with rawster, i find the MDs a lot more closed compared to the coppers in terms of soundstage. I also agree about the comments regarding the bass.

Aug 2, 2010 at 4:04 PM Post #580 of 2,269
Coppers have the wider stage than the MD's.  I think cn11 is appreciating the greater depth of imaging and more lifelike stage presentation.  He is right the Coppers are more left right but their clarity also renders better instrument separation.  The treble is much smoother on MDs.  If you have any sibilant recordings you like, just press play, sit back and relax!  The bass is much more textured w/ decay and reverb.  The Coppers are the faster IEM though if you need immense speed for certain genres.  I recommend using something like the M9 or M11 tips w/ the Monsters to get the most out of them.  If you listen to some rap or hip hop just toss on the black gel tips or foam hybrids and pow!  If you really imagine yourself at a smoky Jazz club or a small venue like the House of Blues you will appreciate the MD's more.

Aug 4, 2010 at 10:26 AM Post #581 of 2,269
Great description of the stages Anaxilus. That's probably exactly what's going on.... but I do think the width of the MD's at least rivals the Coppers, to my ears. The MD's are more 3D and layered for sure. 

Aug 5, 2010 at 12:03 PM Post #582 of 2,269
Based on what I read in this thread, it sounds like the Miles Davis are for me.  I like the vocals to be more emphasized, and it sounds like the slightly forward mids would accomplish that.  Bass is the second thing I look at, and it sounds like these deliver in that area as well.  I also like a slightly warm sound, but not so much so that it makes male vocals sound too dark.  Based on that criteria, do others agree that the MD model is the best for me out of the three Monster Turbine Pro models?

I was also looking at the JVC FX700, but the poor isolation has me looking elsewhere.  I will be using them almost entirely in public places.

Thanks for any input.

Aug 5, 2010 at 12:08 PM Post #583 of 2,269

Quote:
Based on what I read in this thread, it sounds like the Miles Davis are for me.  I like the vocals to be more emphasized, and it sounds like the slightly forward mids would accomplish that.  Bass is the second thing I look at, and it sounds like these deliver in that area as well.  I also like a slightly warm sound, but not so much so that it makes male vocals sound too dark.  Based on that criteria, do others agree that the MD model is the best for me out of the three Monster Turbine Pro models?

I was also looking at the JVC FX700, but the poor isolation has me looking elsewhere.  I will be using them almost entirely in public places.

Thanks for any input.

Sounds like they are for you.  I would not say anything about them is too dark.  The Golds are darker and if you feel that way about the MD's tip choice and positioning will fix that.

Aug 12, 2010 at 12:47 AM Post #585 of 2,269

Quote:

Thanks for any input.

Yeah, the isolation of the MD's is leagues over the FX700's, so if that is a huge concern then the MD's would be a better choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back