Monster Miles Davis Tribute thread
Oct 20, 2011 at 2:24 PM Post #1,430 of 2,269
alright guys, I just called monster to replace my turbines and turbine coppers while talking to the sales rep, he told me that the coppers were out of stock until...late  november so I asked if I could exchange the coppers for the trumpets instead and he said that would be fine, the msrp is $400 vs 350 but for the street prices, the trumpets actually cost a bit more so overall, I'm pretty happy. especially considering now i won't have to deal with the pressure/inbalance issues I experienced with the coppers.

EDIT: I asked to exchange my coppers for the TRUMPETS...not tributes so eh.
buff

Oct 24, 2011 at 6:11 PM Post #1,432 of 2,269
Just got my Miles Davis Tribute IEMs in the mail. I eagerly opened them and these are my initial impressions: the accesories are nice, with a wide selection of foam/gel/flanged/mushroom eartips and 3 cases. The cable seems of not-so-good quality and feels cheap compared to my older turbines which have a thicker and stronger feeling cable. Sound out of the box was very good, the best way for me to describe it would be "turbines but better." I'll post more impressions as I listen to these headphones.

Very happy with my purchase, but I don't think I would pay full price for these after having listened to them.

Oct 28, 2011 at 8:18 PM Post #1,433 of 2,269
just got these too as a replacement to my shure 535's (which I unfortunately misplaced). loving the first few hours with it - the better texture and detailing is just great and the bass doesn't get in the way. I wated Machete off my PC with these and the foam/comply tips and it was amazing - the sound from this movie has lots of bass - the soundtrack, the different voices, the effects... for example Danny Trejo has a really DEEP textured and throaty voice that really sets him apart from the rest of the actors. Then Don Johson on the opposite extreme had quite a thin high pitched voice, but his little chuckles and his diction was really interesting to hear. Steven Segal's textured voice clearly put him down as a cool-dude bad guy! Finally Robert De Niro came across as a greasy politician as he was supposed to with a smooth voice. BTW the soundtrack it self had some good bass going throught the movie.

I'm quite a fan of Disney/Pixar animations (and the Simplsons) so I'm not new to voice acting, but the combination of this film (Machete) and the MD tribute just took it to a whole another level. I tried a few of the tips and the bass sounded deepest with the triple flange tips but I settled on the comply tips for comfort and ease of getting a seal.

Won't bother to provide another review on jazz/pop etc...since its done to death.... but just thought I'd highlight how good the texture of these iems were, and another good use for them.

Nov 8, 2011 at 1:18 AM Post #1,434 of 2,269
So, I'm starting to wonder if my tribute IEMS are authentic... Does anyone have any info on how to spot a fake? They sound pretty good, but I know there are tons of fakes floating around so I'd love some peace of mind

Nov 8, 2011 at 10:03 AM Post #1,435 of 2,269

Quote:
So, I'm starting to wonder if my tribute IEMS are authentic... Does anyone have any info on how to spot a fake? They sound pretty good, but I know there are tons of fakes floating around so I'd love some peace of mind

I'm not sure if the fake factories have caught on yet, but the best way to tell is by the mesh grate on the tip. is it flat and recessed? does it dome out?

Nov 9, 2011 at 11:29 PM Post #1,436 of 2,269

Quote:

I'm not sure if the fake factories have caught on yet, but the best way to tell is by the mesh grate on the tip. is it flat and recessed? does it dome out?

It pops out a bit, the same way my authentic turbines do. I also gave a little bite on the gold plate on the back of the IEM because supposedly they sue real gold. It bent when I bit it so I believe it's real gold rather than plastic.
 I'm probably making a fuss for no reason....

Nov 13, 2011 at 7:07 PM Post #1,437 of 2,269
Hello all, just bought these, should be arriving soon. I wonder how they will "complement" my ER4Ps. 
rolleyes.gif
 Should provide quite a contrast at any rate. Have any of you guys owned both of them? Do you still listen to both? Once I'm familiar with them I might post a little comparison/review against my Etys for your viewing pleasure. 
wink_face.gif

Nov 15, 2011 at 11:59 AM Post #1,438 of 2,269
Anyone know if I should worry that I worn out the supports of the wire cabling at teh earphone's connection? The wiring isn't damaged, just that support rubber detached and slides along the wire. So no problems yet, but I imagine I should do something before it becomes a problem.

Any suggestions on what to do?

Nov 15, 2011 at 5:24 PM Post #1,439 of 2,269

Quote:
Anyone know if I should worry that I worn out the supports of the wire cabling at teh earphone's connection? The wiring isn't damaged, just that support rubber detached and slides along the wire. So no problems yet, but I imagine I should do something before it becomes a problem.

Any suggestions on what to do?

you can try adding a drop of cyanoacrylate epoxy. I did this with my coppers when the stem broke off. the end result was a fixed stem, and the repair was virtually invisible

Nov 15, 2011 at 7:48 PM Post #1,440 of 2,269
Sounds like a good suggestion, Generic super glue is fine?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back