Monster Diamond Tears (Review added 10/6)
Nov 15, 2012 at 1:49 PM Post #47 of 67
well diamonds are a girl's best friend afterall they say
(so that means we need a dog themed headphone for guys?? afterall a dog is man's best friend)

Nov 23, 2012 at 12:33 PM Post #48 of 67
Quote:
Maybe it's just me, but diamond tears on guys? It just looks wrong.

it depends on the culture, in america it would be considered feminine, but remember JYP designed this. in korea this is very acceptable for guys to wear clothing america would deem feminine. So in the case of these headphones, no it doesn't look wrong. i personally find they look fantastic and if the price tag was a lot lower,  i wouldn't hesistate to buy them. 

i personally had a short listen to them and had to agree that the headband is rubberized, and the ear cushions are one of the softest feeling ever, well at least in comparing with the inspiration nc and passive and the disel that was on display on future shop.

sounded very good to me, not the traditional one note muddy bass that the studios are known for, but was actually very clear. and very good passive isolation too. i had set the volume to the lowest possible and could barely hear the saleperson at future shop until she waved at me

Dec 18, 2012 at 11:24 AM Post #50 of 67
Quote:
I know many members don't like monster in general, Including me. They have made some good in ears, and in my opinion, this is the best headphone they have made to date.

The build is awesome, this is a new build, I've never seen from any brand before. The top has a a rubbery feel to it, and it kind of sticks to your hair a bit. It's actually nice. I have tested the build since the claims of the design being nearly indestructible. I'd have to agree, very good build. I tortured the cans. Pulled them apart and twisted the cans very forcefully, no indication of stress. I initially reported these don't fold, but they do, I don't ever watch reviews on youtube, but another member saw one and told me they do. You'd never know from looking at them. I'll post a pic of them folded later. Pic of them folded now up on first post.

They needed stretched in my case, they were too snug, and they had to be fully extended to fit my large mellon. They just happened to fit perfect after stretching with full extension. My hat size is seven and a half. My head is longer than average, I think almost anyone could get a fit. The earpads offer fairly good passive isolation. I'd compare it to the M80. Also, because of the way the headband is built, the time needed for stretching was very lengthy, about 72 hours total.

All 3 cords that come with it are a great build with an almost tiangular shape. One is just a cord, one has a mic, one has control functions for idevices. I only tested the mic briefly, it was pretty good, and the control cord worked on an ipod, I didn't really run it through any tests.
The Sound, this was very difficult, I was limited in finding a set of cans to compare them to. They sound nothing like any beats, the closest I had was the Pro coppers by monster. I borrowed a pair of V80's which are just a true blood make up over an M80. An ESW9 was also thrown in the mix and the Polk Ultrafocus 8000.

Tears verses ESW9. This was easy, the Diamond tears did everything a little better, and sound more nuetral. From bass tightness to soundstage accuracy. Neither set has a very wide or deep soundstage though. Both have a rolled off upper treble, and both lack air. Timbre was better on the Tears, I can't think of a single thing the 9's did better, although it was no crushing defeat either.

Tears verses V80, this comparison showed how much user preference can enter into thing. The V/M80 has more bass and possibly deeper as well, but the limited ability I have to test this shows the depth to be very close, when listening, the Vmoda's sound like they might go deeper, at any rate, opinions of several people I asked to give their impressions were not anything alike, they loved one or the other. The 80's have more bass, and it's almost as tight with roughly the same definition. The 80's are a great value, If I had to choose one it would be the Tears, only because they are a bit more nuetral. The 80's have a touch more air, I'm not willing to say one or the other is better. Both are among the better portable cans IMO.

Tears verses Ultrafocus8000, this another good showing for both, I consider the 8000's to be the best sounding ANC cans on the market at this time, although my time with PSB's offerings has been limited to several hours. One thing the 8000's have is the deepest bass I've ever heard coming from cans, the bass retains good defintion and layering, however it is just too much with bass enhanced music for me. Both sets, in fact every set mentioned has good mids, some better than others but no MIA mids in any of these sets. The Tears don't have the Staging of the 8000's, not many closed cans do. In fact the 8000's beat all other sets mentioned in soundstage and most other aspects as well. The 8000's might be close to Denon's Dx00 series in soundstage. The Tears sound different here, but it's strictly in presentation, which isn't easy to describe as far as differnces. Mostly because the differences chang according to genre. And hip/hop seems overly bassy with the 8000's, so bassheads might love the big bass. On other genres, the 8000's are one of the best closed cans I've heard. I still think many would prefer the Tears as an allrounder. Except for the rolled off upper treble and the lack of air at times, I think monster is on the right path.
Monster has not been great at fixing things, like the continued problems with the beats studio and solo breaking.
And they don't soud very good to my ears either. The Vektr and Inspiration are not to my liking at all. The Vektr build seems not that great, and the sound is off to my ears. The inspiration is very uncomfortable to me and the sound is no where near anything I could live with. This of course is all in my opinion based on my preferences, one can be only so objective. The Ncredible on ears can sound pretty decent, but they are overly fussy on placement.

It's been some time since I reviewed anything, and Monster, for the most part gets a bad rap here. As one of the early on members praising the monster in ear pro line, I believe this is the first set of portable cans they have made that deserves some extra attention, they may still be overpriced, but if you want bling and good sound, at least you get both here.

I have also listened to the Fanny Wang and 50 cent offerings, and I don't think they are good at all, especially the Fanny Wangs. So, it's my opinion the Diamond Tears are the First set of cans that offer a Fashion statement with good sound to back it up. Although I wish it was offered in plain black, the black Tears are the most understated of the three colors offered. Toss in the very robust construction, and you have a very decent portable can.

Final thoughts: I have compared these to every celebrity endorsed Monster offering, I don"t really like any of them,maybe the Street by 50 would be fair if it wasn't for some problems with presence region and treble response, leaving them sound a bit harsh. I still recommend them for parents of teens due to the ability to withstand abuse, I think the DT's would hold up possibly as well.

which would you think is better at passive isolation and clarity? personally i really like the diamond tears look, and i have tried it on the future shop store and they feel sooo comfortable, but they didn't allow me to plug in my own music so all i heard was the informercial they were playing. but it sounded a lot clearer than any previous monster product i heard before. 

i'm actually debating on either the white diamond tears or the white pearl m-80 as my next set of can, but the m-80 has an edge right now with its 2 year warranty and its lifetime warranty(paying 50% if it ever breaks after the two years) and its cheaper too by about $50. 

i'm in canada so i never had seen vmoda ever on display before only reviews on head-fi and other websites

Dec 19, 2012 at 2:18 AM Post #51 of 67
Quote:
well diamonds are a girl's best friend afterall they say
(so that means we need a dog themed headphone for guys?? afterall a dog is man's best friend)

LOL!

Well going by the company's name (Monster); dog themed headphones would actually make more sense to anyone who knows nothing about the brand...

Imagine dog themed headphones... 
confused.gif
tongue.gif

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Dec 19, 2012 at 3:31 AM Post #52 of 67
wow they're very pretty looking headphones.

Jan 18, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #54 of 67
The DT has balance, clarity and punch in all frequencies. How unusual is that?

This is a similar description to how I viewed the DNA model.
So now I am wondering if they sound similar .
I am loving yhe DNA detail & musicality.

Yet I know for the $300 the DT cost I rather have my moda m100 which are a better quality.

But everyone should follow their ears.
So I plan on trying these as well.

Jan 18, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #55 of 67
Quote:
quote.gif

wow they're very pretty looking headphones.

They are so pretty they must sound good too...  
ph34r.gif

I have to admit Monster are pretty good at targeting their marketing audience. Only way actually they still in business.

Jan 18, 2013 at 6:46 PM Post #56 of 67
I whish ALL headphone companies would take notice and make better LOOKING headphones,
now that headphones are more mainstream and socially accepted as a fashion statement .
Have you seen those huge sony cans on contestants in just past season "x-factor"?
These DT seem a good size for portability,
so I wonder if they are low impedance and loud like the DNA.

Jan 18, 2013 at 7:35 PM Post #57 of 67
Quote:
I whish ALL headphone companies would take notice and make better LOOKING headphones,
now that headphones are more mainstream and socially accepted as a fashion statement .
Have you seen those huge sony cans on contestants in just past season "x-factor"?
These DT seem a good size for portability,
so I wonder if they are low impedance and loud like the DNA.

I find it difficult to take you seriously when you have a video in your sig space using the O2 and M50s as a boombox.

In other news, I like the DTs. I find them more interesting and fun to listen too than the Inspiration, which I thought was rather lifeless and dull.

Jan 19, 2013 at 3:05 PM Post #58 of 67
I find it difficult to take you seriously when you have a video in your sig space using the O2 and M50s as a boombox.

Haha that was fun, but point taken.
I wasn't seriously into headphones then as I am now
Selling off my most boombox collection with mods and will be more into headphones as I'm still learning.
Thanks for input tho.
Edit: for me the boomboxes were a more enjoyable intimate experience than expensive stereos I had.
Now I have finally progressed to headphones :)

Jan 22, 2013 at 12:20 PM Post #60 of 67
Quote:
Does anyone know if the IEM version of these are still being released any time soon? I cannot find any information at all!

Quote:
Does anyone know if the IEM version of these are still being released any time soon? I cannot find any information at all!

They said the later half of 2012 but it's already 2013....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back