Monster Diamond Tears (Review added 10/6)
Oct 6, 2012 at 12:19 AM Post #2 of 67
I know many members don't like monster in general, Including me. They have made some good in ears, and in my opinion, this is the best headphone they have made to date.

The build is awesome, this is a new build, I've never seen from any brand before. The top has a a rubbery feel to it, and it kind of sticks to your hair a bit. It's actually nice. I have tested the build since the claims of the design being nearly indestructible. I'd have to agree, very good build. I tortured the cans. Pulled them apart and twisted the cans very forcefully, no indication of stress. I initially reported these don't fold, but they do, I don't ever watch reviews on youtube, but another member saw one and told me they do. You'd never know from looking at them. I'll post a pic of them folded later. Pic of them folded now up on first post.

They needed stretched in my case, they were too snug, and they had to be fully extended to fit my large mellon. They just happened to fit perfect after stretching with full extension. My hat size is seven and a half. My head is longer than average, I think almost anyone could get a fit. The earpads offer fairly good passive isolation. I'd compare it to the M80. Also, because of the way the headband is built, the time needed for stretching was very lengthy, about 72 hours total.

All 3 cords that come with it are a great build with an almost tiangular shape. One is just a cord, one has a mic, one has control functions for idevices. I only tested the mic briefly, it was pretty good, and the control cord worked on an ipod, I didn't really run it through any tests.
The Sound, this was very difficult, I was limited in finding a set of cans to compare them to. They sound nothing like any beats, the closest I had was the Pro coppers by monster. I borrowed a pair of V80's which are just a true blood make up over an M80. An ESW9 was also thrown in the mix and the Polk Ultrafocus 8000.

Tears verses ESW9. This was easy, the Diamond tears did everything a little better, and sound more nuetral. From bass tightness to soundstage accuracy. Neither set has a very wide or deep soundstage though. Both have a rolled off upper treble, and both lack air. Timbre was better on the Tears, I can't think of a single thing the 9's did better, although it was no crushing defeat either.

Tears verses V80, this comparison showed how much user preference can enter into thing. The V/M80 has more bass and possibly deeper as well, but the limited ability I have to test this shows the depth to be very close, when listening, the Vmoda's sound like they might go deeper, at any rate, opinions of several people I asked to give their impressions were not anything alike, they loved one or the other. The 80's have more bass, and it's almost as tight with roughly the same definition. The 80's are a great value, If I had to choose one it would be the Tears, only because they are a bit more nuetral. The 80's have a touch more air, I'm not willing to say one or the other is better. Both are among the better portable cans IMO.

Tears verses Ultrafocus8000, this another good showing for both, I consider the 8000's to be the best sounding ANC cans on the market at this time, although my time with PSB's offerings has been limited to several hours. One thing the 8000's have is the deepest bass I've ever heard coming from cans, the bass retains good defintion and layering, however it is just too much with bass enhanced music for me. Both sets, in fact every set mentioned has good mids, some better than others but no MIA mids in any of these sets. The Tears don't have the Staging of the 8000's, not many closed cans do. In fact the 8000's beat all other sets mentioned in soundstage and most other aspects as well. The 8000's might be close to Denon's Dx00 series in soundstage. The Tears sound different here, but it's strictly in presentation, which isn't easy to describe as far as differnces. Mostly because the differences chang according to genre. And hip/hop seems overly bassy with the 8000's, so bassheads might love the big bass. On other genres, the 8000's are one of the best closed cans I've heard. I still think many would prefer the Tears as an allrounder. Except for the rolled off upper treble and the lack of air at times, I think monster is on the right path.
Monster has not been great at fixing things, like the continued problems with the beats studio and solo breaking.
And they don't soud very good to my ears either. The Vektr and Inspiration are not to my liking at all. The Vektr build seems not that great, and the sound is off to my ears. The inspiration is very uncomfortable to me and the sound is no where near anything I could live with. This of course is all in my opinion based on my preferences, one can be only so objective. The Ncredible on ears can sound pretty decent, but they are overly fussy on placement.

It's been some time since I reviewed anything, and Monster, for the most part gets a bad rap here. As one of the early on members praising the monster in ear pro line, I believe this is the first set of portable cans they have made that deserves some extra attention, they may still be overpriced, but if you want bling and good sound, at least you get both here.

I have also listened to the Fanny Wang and 50 cent offerings, and I don't think they are good at all, especially the Fanny Wangs. So, it's my opinion the Diamond Tears are the First set of cans that offer a Fashion statement with good sound to back it up. Although I wish it was offered in plain black, the black Tears are the most understated of the three colors offered. Toss in the very robust construction, and you have a very decent portable can.

Final thoughts: I have compared these to every celebrity endorsed Monster offering, I don"t really like any of them,maybe the Street by 50 would be fair if it wasn't for some problems with presence region and treble response, leaving them sound a bit harsh. I still recommend them for parents of teens due to the ability to withstand abuse, I think the DT's would hold up possibly as well.

Oct 6, 2012 at 6:17 PM Post #4 of 67
I've heard them all, ask around, I have reviewed all the pro series in ears.  The diamond tears are well built. They are built far better than the beats studio or solo and would take quite a bit of abuse.

I'm finishing up a review, so sit tight

Oct 6, 2012 at 7:18 PM Post #5 of 67
Quote:
I've heard them all, ask around, I have reviewed all the pro series in ears. 

Well , why so much dedication to the monster cable brand, considering how much their full size headphone are bashed here ? (much less critics for iems though).
Are you a fan of monster beat headphones, or it's just that you have the opportunity to test them all ?
By the way it doesn't seem easy to find your reviews , you should post them on  the head gear section.

Quote:
They are built far better than the beats studio or solo and would take quite a bit of abuse.

But the only ones worth a listen are the beats pro, according to reviews here, so you'd have to compare to these ones.

Oct 6, 2012 at 7:37 PM Post #8 of 67
Hmm well it's safe to say the person who started this thread likes them and instead of avoiding the question, why don't you try answering - why do you feel the need to denigrate anyone who mentions Beats, do you do the same for every headphone you don't like?

Try respecting the fact that people have different tastes in headphones, same as everything else in life... :wink:

Oct 6, 2012 at 7:40 PM Post #9 of 67
Quote:
why do you feel the need to denigrate anyone who mentions Beats, do you do the same for every headphone you don't like?
Try respecting the fact that people have different tastes in headphones, same as everything else in life...
wink.gif

But he never stated he liked monster beats headphones, I  just want to know his motivations.

Oct 6, 2012 at 8:23 PM Post #10 of 67
Quote:
But he never stated he liked monster beats headphones, I  just want to know his motivations.

If you bothered to look at my posting history, you'd know I'm not a monster fanboy. I liked the pro series iem's quite a bit. I had several pairs of each, and many liked the monster pro's.
This is the first pair of monstar portable headphones I think are worth a mention, because of good build and considerably improved sound. Many people on the boards know me, what do you mean motivations?

I'm no shiil for monster, draw your own conclusions, enough here respect me, and all reviews must be taken with a grain of salt, due to preferences.

Oct 6, 2012 at 8:30 PM Post #11 of 67
Quote:

Well , why so much dedication to the monster cable brand, considering how much their full size headphone are bashed here ? (much less critics for iems though).
Are you a fan of monster beat headphones, or it's just that you have the opportunity to test them all ?
By the way it doesn't seem easy to find your reviews , you should post them on  the head gear section.

But the only ones worth a listen are the beats pro, according to reviews here, so you'd have to compare to these ones.

I for one think the Beats pro sound awful and forced, I don't review things I don't like, it's not fair to compare the Diamond Tears with something I don't like.  As far as dedication to the Monster brand, you clearly don't know me, I buy, trade all brands of cans. Most of the cans I love have been reviewed extensively. For instance my HD800's. I have nothing to add to all the reviews already on the forum. I tend to review things that have gone unnoticed, like the Monster pro series were when I first had them. Also the Ortofon eq7 Earsonics Sm3 and a few others.

Oct 6, 2012 at 8:41 PM Post #12 of 67
Quote:
I'm no shiil for monster

well great.  I realized I've misread what you said, I thought you tested ALL  monsters headphone, sorry. There is a saying that a  lot of monster full size headphone sound the same, while there's just a difference in the design (like the detox and studio).
I actually find nice that monster cable release a decent headphone, although for once I don't like much the design.

Oct 6, 2012 at 9:33 PM Post #13 of 67
Quote:
I've heard them all, ask around, I have reviewed all the pro series in ears.  The diamond tears are well built. They are built far better than the beats studio or solo and would take quite a bit of abuse.

I'm finishing up a review, so sit tight

Looking forward to it. This is the second reference to the Diamond Tears as sounding the most neutral of the current Monster offerings. My curiosity is piqued. 

Oct 6, 2012 at 9:44 PM Post #14 of 67
Quote:

Looking forward to it. This is the second reference to the Diamond Tears as sounding the most neutral of the current Monster offerings. My curiosity is piqued. 

Having read an awful large number of your posts, these could possibly be to your liking. The bass is so tight, and very well presented, not a hint of midbass hump either with nice full mids, only the lack of air in the treble and upper treble rolloff keep it from matching something better.

Oct 6, 2012 at 11:27 PM Post #15 of 67
 You've stated that,''The downside for some is they don't fold''

Unless my eyes decieved me,i saw an unboxing video about these,and the guy folded them,and put them in the traveling pouch

Users who are viewing this thread

Back