Monoprice Monolith THX 887 - Impressions Thread
Nov 3, 2021 at 10:09 AM Post #256 of 359
Does this unit have any special sauce DAC input voltage requirements or does my 1.9v Liquid Spark cut it?

The monoprice input impedance is 50kOhms. Which is an extra effort for them. So I imagine it's was also made to tolerate extra margin of Vrms input as well.

No idea though. I am not giving a direct answer.

Nov 5, 2021 at 8:02 PM Post #257 of 359
All good, can't wait to try mine out. Still haven't sent me a tracking email, ordered on halloween. They're usually pretty fast. Not a big deal. I can drive everything I have with present equip., just couldn't resist a measurably perfect balanced amp with ridiculous power for $250 (sale). Wasn't planning on getting a new amp and was only browsing monoprice to see if they had any new planars when I saw it. I guess I'm at the endgame for amps.

Dec 20, 2021 at 1:34 AM Post #259 of 359
It’s currently on sale now in Europe so it’s only €285. That won me over, I just ordered one. I can’t wait to hear how it’ll make my Chord Qutest and Beyerdynamics 1990 sing!

How did this work out? For my Chord Hugo 2, they are a very clarity focused synnergy. So I need to use the filters and crossfeed to make it more thicker and musical sounding.

I imagine you don't got that option with the Qutest with no filters & crossfeed.

Dec 22, 2021 at 9:16 PM Post #260 of 359
I've owned this amp for 20 months now and it has been my main amp for all of my non-electrostatic cans. The entire time I have owned this amp I have never once sat back and said to myself, " This is it." I have owned amps that made me instantly smile and tap my foot but this amp never did that. It's a very neutral-sounding amp and it has plenty of power for any headphone I own. It produces a clean sound, and it's dead silent. That said, it's not a "fun" amp for me. I admit to liking a bit of color added. I actually compare the 887 to my old Bryston BHA-1 and in that regard, they perform very much like each other, SQ-wise.

For what it is, and what it does, it's a fine amp at a very fine price point. I'll keep mine and continue to use it but when I want to really enjoy my music, it gets powered down so I can power up one of my other amps.

Jan 21, 2022 at 8:47 AM Post #262 of 359
I've owned this amp for 20 months now and it has been my main amp for all of my non-electrostatic cans. The entire time I have owned this amp I have never once sat back and said to myself, " This is it." I have owned amps that made me instantly smile and tap my foot but this amp never did that. It's a very neutral-sounding amp and it has plenty of power for any headphone I own. It produces a clean sound, and it's dead silent. That said, it's not a "fun" amp for me. I admit to liking a bit of color added. I actually compare the 887 to my old Bryston BHA-1 and in that regard, they perform very much like each other, SQ-wise.

For what it is, and what it does, it's a fine amp at a very fine price point. I'll keep mine and continue to use it but when I want to really enjoy my music, it gets powered down so I can power up one of my other amps.

Yeah, for the thx amps I suggest not getting a very nuetral-to-clinical dac like my Chord Hugo2.

Maybe one of the more funner/less clinical implementationa of AKM dacs to go with the THX.

kind of like that Fiio K9 Pro desktop dac/amp that uses a THX-implementation with an ak4499. I feel bad later for those that get the K9 Pro version using the ESS dacs when the ak4499 version runs out.

EDIT: Even better would be some of the warmer iFi sources like a Micro Black or an iFi Gryphon with xBass.

I am now using my Gustard a22 dac (ak4499) with my THX887 (and my FluxLab FA-10 amp). Or using the line-out of my ibasso DX300MAX SS dap to the THX887.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2022 at 3:21 PM Post #263 of 359

I use the Ifi tube buffer to give me the smoothness and richness that helps me really enjoy this amp. Without the tube buffer, it can sound kind of clinical.

Mar 2, 2022 at 4:30 PM Post #264 of 359
I bought recently Monolith 887.
The device is great, but I have a problem.
There is no grounding on the power supply.
The amplifier is connected to the DAC (Topping dx3pro+). DAC doesn't have grounding either.

I use DAC+AMP with my laptop. I can't use the laptop on battery power because there is no grounding in this setup. The result is that I can hear constant buzz/hum noise in headphones (LCD2 Classic). Especially when I touch the metal screw on the ear cup.

I wanted to have this dac/amp combo to have possibility to use Bluetooth. But currently I'm forced to use a third device with grounding.

Mar 3, 2022 at 6:03 PM Post #265 of 359
First make sure that your power cables are not running parallel or right next to your signal cables. Power cables provide power to your components, signal cables are RCA's, balanced interconnects, or USB cables that carry the music's signals. Either arrange the power and signal cables perpendicular to each other or separate them as well as you can (at least a foot). The worst you can do is have them in a rat's nest, tangled up, or all tied together running the same way. Also, look at the quality of your cables. Make sure they're quality triple or quad shielded RCA or balanced cables (quad shielded RCA, twisted pair RCA, or balanced XLR cables are best). Cables can act like an antennae by picking up all sorts of noises if they're not well shielded. Make sure they're well constructed. Shop Monoprice or better and ditch the cheap included cables.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2022 at 11:44 AM Post #266 of 359
The Problem lays in something else.
I did tests.

Disconnected everything.

Connected only lcd2 and dx3pro+. Result was buzzing in headphones. And when I touch screws on ear pieces buzzing is louder.
No rca cable or anything.

I Connected dx3 rca to my PC trough rca - Jack cable. No buzzing at all.

I did the same test with 887.
887 (connected to power but not powered on with the button)
887+lcd = buzz
887 + lcd + dx3 (RCA) = buzz
Connected to pc or laptop with grounded power supply and buzz ends.

Mar 7, 2022 at 6:55 PM Post #267 of 359
Hi--trying to get an answer to this question and whether I have a defective unit. Does the pass through continue to passthrough even with headphones plugged in? Seems like they should shut off. I sit about 3 feet away from some powered monitors, have them hooked up to passthrough, and they are drowning out the headphones to an extent. I may have wrongly assumed this had a feature it doesn't have--if so I may have to take it back and look for something else.

Mar 9, 2022 at 10:33 PM Post #268 of 359
Hi--trying to get an answer to this question and whether I have a defective unit. Does the pass through continue to passthrough even with headphones plugged in? Seems like they should shut off. I sit about 3 feet away from some powered monitors, have them hooked up to passthrough, and they are drowning out the headphones to an extent. I may have wrongly assumed this had a feature it doesn't have--if so I may have to take it back and look for something else.
It is a simple pass-through and isn't switched nor is influenced by the volume pot. You'd need to get a passive preamp/source selector and run your RCA's/XLR's through it to toggle inputs/outputs. JDS Labs OL Switcher (the one I have) or a Schiit Sys are both good, IMO.

Jun 26, 2022 at 8:39 PM Post #269 of 359
I was on the Monoprice site just now and noticed this amp is on sale so I snagged one and a couple XLR cables. I'll be pairing it with a Teac UD-301 I've had for a few years now. My hope is that this amps flatness(if I can call it that) paired with the rich tone of the Burr Browns in the Teac will pair well together for a decent mid-range stack.
I'll be using my stock Fostex t50s. I would like to get the Fostex balanced so I may have to send them off to modhouse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back