Monoprice Monolith THX 887 - Impressions Thread
Mar 15, 2021 at 3:28 AM Post #241 of 359
Don't forget it is single-ended. What do you have setup upstream?
Schiit Gungnir MB for now, which has both balanced XLR and unbalanced RCA outputs; I tried both into the 887. My Woo WA5 sitting right next to it is silent at volume 0, consuming the same RCA outputs from the Gungy.

Mar 15, 2021 at 4:44 AM Post #242 of 359
Umm... is this amp supposed to be generating audible signal with the volume control at 0 (as far counter-clockwise as it goes)? Because mine is. Tried both balanced and RCA inputs, multiple headphones, multiple gain selections. Guess I'll be returning it and trying another bargain THX AAA amp while I wait for my HPA4 to be built.
No

Mar 15, 2021 at 10:46 PM Post #243 of 359

Apparently it's expected. I cross-shipped the return of the Monolith with a new Drop 789 one-day delivery. It's basically the same amp, and it does the same thing for me. I found more reports of this as well:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/mas...ifier-impressions-thread.873576/post-14623878

It's not a big deal since 99% of the time I'm just pausing the music or the video or muting PC volume when I want silence instead of turning the physical knob to 0, and even then, it's a minimal amount of bleed-through. But it's definitely a sign that you can't in fact get everything at a $300-400 price point, some compromises have to be made (apparently in the degree to which internal components were isolated from each other). Now if my HPA4 does this when it comes in, I'm going to raise hell...

Mar 18, 2021 at 2:53 PM Post #244 of 359
Just got through reading this thread and the 887 sounds like it would be a good match for my needs. I'm so glad to read user experiences pairing the 887 with the RME ADI-2. Thanks to @bryceu for sharing insights on this pairing, as well as settings to run the ADI-2 at -5dB into the 887. I'm currently using the ADI-2 headphone out to power my ZMF Auteur's and I think it sounds good, but many have stated that these headphones need more power to reach their potential. I'm willing to give it a go with the 887.

Some have stated the sound stage is closed with the 887 and some have stated it's more open. I'm not sure what to expect, but my hope is that my experience will show that the pairing of the ADI-2 and 887 is an improvement over the ADI-2 on its own. Thoughts?

Mar 31, 2021 at 12:55 AM Post #245 of 359
I'm hoping that the '887 is as linear and as exciting to listen to as the a-100 is. A90 seems to be neutral-slightly warm up top. Of course the a-100 is class a-b, not op amp based. That may be the difference but I'm not passing judgment til I get the '887 in, run it in, and compare all three amps side by side. Either way, the a-100 is a stable keeper but I'm liking having the a90's versatility as HP amp and pre. I'd still be willing to give up the a90's preamp function if the '887 has more air up top...maybe. The combo of a90 as pre and a-100 as amp is better than a90 solo as HP amp, to me that is - a very exciting listening experience. A90 is really laid back and sort of tame.
Welp. To update those concerned. I got my '887 in, set it up, and compared it to a90. The '887 for me is a tad more linear than a90. What I mean is that from bottom to top seems to be a straight line. Less midbass bloom than what I hear with the a90 and more treble air and openness. The a90 to me seems to have a more closed in top end. They both are on the dry side. This with the Hifiman Aryas. I sent both back though because I found a deal on a gently used Gustard H20 that does it all (HP amp and pre), that sounds better than both. Swapped out it's op amps for some Sparkos Labs and am now set for a while. Still curious getting some Sonic Imagery model 994 op amps though.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2021 at 9:52 AM Post #246 of 359
Welp. To update those concerned. I got my '887 in, set it up, and compared it to a90. The '887 for me is a tad more linear than a90. What I mean is that from bottom to top seems to be a straight line. Less midbass bloom than what I hear with the a90 and more treble air and openness. The a90 to me seems to have a more closed in top end. They both are on the dry side. This with the Hifiman Aryas. I sent both back though because I found a deal on a gently used Gustard H20 that does it all (HP amp and pre), that sounds better than both. Swapped out it's op amps for some Sparkos Labs and am now set for a while. Still curious getting some Sonic Imagery model 994 op amps though.
The 887/A90 are very dry but linear and have poor quality pots. I had some unit variation that could be attributed to usage and pot quality deteriorating. I even had one go out in the A90. I'm very happy now with my Singxer SA-1.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2021 at 2:34 PM Post #247 of 359
The 887/A90 are very dry but linear and have poor quality pots. I had some unit variation that could be attributed to usage and pot quality deteriorating. I even had one go out in the A90. I'm very happy now with my Singxer SA-1.
Cool beans. I checked that out at Apos' website. Looks good. Is there an option to change out the op amps for different sound flavors? How's it for driving the he-6?

Mar 31, 2021 at 7:58 PM Post #248 of 359
I don't believe there are any opamps. It's fully discreet class a/b with optional DC couple mode. Measurement wise it's one of not the best out there, which is pretty wild since it's not a chip amp.

Apr 24, 2021 at 9:19 PM Post #249 of 359
Anyone ever open this up and try upgrading the caps like folks have done with the Liquid Platinum? I'm on a mod kick and this is just staring at me, tempting me.

Jul 31, 2021 at 10:40 AM Post #252 of 359
Jul 31, 2021 at 11:29 AM Post #253 of 359

Users who are viewing this thread

Back