1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Monoprice Monolith THX 887 - Impressions Thread

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by XERO1, Sep 10, 2019.
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Next

Last
  1. XERO1
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    Wes S, amirm and ls13coco like this.
  2. ls13coco
    This is some healthy competition. :)

greyscale75 likes this.
  3. bryceu
    If my RME ADI-2 DAC will fit better as a stack than it did with the 789 (1/2” too narrow), I’ll be happy :)
    Looks like a very promising piece according to Amir.

wormsdriver likes this.
  4. FireLion
    Supposedly monoprice have an AK4499 in the works, The SDAC-B would be alright too.

5. dweekie
    Here's a picture from the review that appears to show a miniscule difference in width (and miniscule difference overall).
    Monoprice Monolith THX 887 compared to Massdrop Drop THX AAA 789 Balanced Headphone Amplifier.jpg

dmdm and wormsdriver like this.
  6. bryceu
    Yea that’s about exactly how much wider the ADI-2 is than the 789 so it will actually look right on top of the 887 :)

Darthpool and wormsdriver like this.
  7. Natarian
    That's perhaps why they increased the size like that since they knew a lot of people are pairing their THX with the RME.

8. olinko
    I hate that no EU-based company offers THX. The import fees are absolutely murderous :frowning2:

Why does everything even approaching affordable have to be made and sold in the US...

Marutks and halcyon like this.
  9. jsmiller58
    Well, absolutely not to get political... (a) I doubt any of these products are made in the US, (b) you need to raise your concerns with your appropriate governments... the issue is the high import taxes, imposition of VAT, etc, that many in the world have to bear as a way of protecting local industries and raising revenue for social programs and general government activities. Despite the breathless round the clock coverage on US news media, these taxes and fees/duties don’t exist to anywhere near the same extent in the US as most elsewhere in the world.

A local importer can help you through whatever magic they have, but you still pay far higher price due to the aforementioned imposed taxes and fees. But look at it on the bright side, you are helping pay for your and your fellow countrymen’s well being.

CoryGillmore and olinko like this.
  10. protoss
    This is excellent news. There should be no reason for anyone to ever spend over $400 on an amplifer! Its next to foolishness to spend any higher than a THX 789/887.

All we need is a world class $400 Dac and its over.

CoryGillmore, FireLion and jumpa like this.
  11. ephrank
    Will Monoprice take pre-order before Oct 27th?

12. greyscale75
    According to ASR site, the actual date is November availability.:triportsad:

13. Wes S
    Dang! Bold statement. Are both of those amps, really that good? I think it might be time to try one.

14. protoss
    Well yes. The reviews in video format and articles written on the THX-789 Is pretty much 99% accurate to the measurements that ASR guys release!!

Now ASR guys review the 887 amplifier and it's 2% better than the 789 !

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...thx-887-balance-headphone-amp-new-champ.8942/

And

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...easurements-of-massdrop-thx-aaa-789-amp.5001/

The facts are in!!

15. Wes S
    Not a fan of ASR, so I will look elsewhere, for some reviews. Thanks!

2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Next

Last