Monoprice Monolith THX 887 - Impressions Thread
Aug 5, 2022 at 7:55 PM Post #272 of 359
Got it yesterday, had two good sessions. My previous stack was Modi MB -> Vali 2 -> Empyrean. Impressions from replacing Vali 2 with Monoprice THX 887 (SE out):
- noticeably clearer across the board
- hits a bit harder
- faster
- better imaging
- a bit thinner, but in a good way. I guess it's removed distortion more than anything else..
i don't have anything else to compare to, so I'm happy, especially for this price

Sep 26, 2022 at 11:13 PM Post #274 of 359
Just bought one to test it out and curious how it will sound with the JDS Element III as a DAC. Since it was meant to be a SE amp, I'm curious how it'll sound on my Focal Clears and HD6XX on just the 3.5mm.

Sep 26, 2022 at 11:24 PM Post #275 of 359
Just bought one to test it out and curious how it will sound with the JDS Element III as a DAC. Since it was meant to be a SE amp, I'm curious how it'll sound on my Focal Clears and HD6XX on just the 3.5mm.

Just a heads up, because the 887 isn't a fully discrete balanced amp, you can use the 4 Pin XLR headphone out on the front even with the non-balanced Element III as your DAC.

Feb 6, 2023 at 4:55 PM Post #276 of 359
This thx destroys the 789. I just rediscovered just how much richer and dynamic the sound is vs the 789 and gashelli amps.Superior soundstage also. My big complaint about this amp was always the scratchy pot that got worse as time went on. However a game changer after discovering that the pot is virtually silent after leaving the amp on continuously. I never shut it off. Sounds fantastic with 6xx. Even beating the SA1 in many respects! ie dynamics and punch. Very clean. This is a very underrated amp! I also keep the brick on a cushioned chair but don't know if that also contributes to minimizing the noise.
People say they use deoxit but i don't know how that is possible since the volume knob is glued on.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2023 at 9:01 PM Post #277 of 359
This thx destroys the 789. I just rediscovered just how much richer and dynamic the sound is vs the 789 and gashelli amps.Superior soundstage also. My big complaint about this amp was always the scratchy pot that got worse as time went on. However a game changer after discovering that the pot is virtually silent after leaving the amp on continuously. I never shut it off. Sounds fantastic with 6xx. Even beating the SA1 in many respects! ie dynamics and punch. Very clean. This is a very underrated amp! I also keep the brick on a cushioned chair but don't know if that also contributes to minimizing the noise.
People say they use deoxit but i don't know how that is possible since the volume knob is glued on.
I am awaiting mine to arrive, S/B here on 2/24 or so. Pretty excited to test with the incoming HE6SE V2...:)

Feb 22, 2023 at 10:56 AM Post #278 of 359
I am awaiting mine to arrive, S/B here on 2/24 or so. Pretty excited to test with the incoming HE6SE V2...:)
As i have said. Never shut it off. It will definitely get a noisy pot in 3 or 4 months. Just keep it on! I have had 4 of these amps and not one of them remained quiet. Btw amp barely gets warm.

Apr 18, 2023 at 9:50 PM Post #281 of 359
The 887 is a very neutral amp which is the main reason I keep it around. I often use it when comparing headphones or DACs back to back.

I had the A90 for a short while and had a chance to compare it to the 887. I am surprised so many people call it a neutral amp. The A90 had a slightly warmer sound than the 887 and the slight bloom in the mid-bass was noticeable compared to the 887. I don't mind a slightly warmer sound but while the 887 had a touch less bass, the bass on the 887 was noticeably tighter and more defined which I preferred. Another difference between the two was the treble texture and soundstage. The A90 definitely had more three-dimensional sound and a much better sense of space. My only real complaint with the 887 (when comparing to other amps) is it is VERY two-dimensional sounding. When you hear a more spacious-sounding amp like the A90 or Liquid Platinum ends up sounding like two walls of sound.

On paper the A90 was perfect with all those awesome output jacks to boot but that slight bloominess of the bass and the absolutely awful volume pot were not things I could get over. The volume pot has a very squishy feeling and it was quite difficult to make really precise volume adjustments as a result. I ended up returning it. I have a Headamp GS-X Mini coming tomorrow :p

The 887 stacks really nicely with the D90 too:

PXL_20201216_051046223.jpg
The A90 had a slightly warmer sound than the 887 and the slight bloom in the mid-bass was noticeable compared to the 887.
.....but that slight bloominess of the bass and the absolutely awful volume pot were not things I could get over.
That "bloominess" in the bass - lead to a closed-in treble or "thick" presentation - was what ultimately made me send it back pretty quickly. It's not a "neutral" amps to me either - and I concur with some of those "boring" and "somewhat undynamic" sentiments......

Apr 23, 2023 at 9:53 AM Post #282 of 359
Price definitely sells.

After letting this amp (887) get by me several times when on sale, I quickly pulled the trigger on it at $168.
I've only had it a few days. Connected it to an AKM based XDUOO, an older Modi and a Modi Multibit all single ended ins and out.
Also dynamic driver cans are all I've tried. The three so far, Sennheiser HD58, HD650, and AKG K245's. I have some M1060 planar cans downstairs just haven't gotten to them yet.

My first impression of this amp is clean, revealing, and unforgiving. No complaints with these characteristics. However... the single ended output seems a bit anemic next to the other mostly inexpensive amps I have for comparison. The second gen Magni is a beast compared to 887 S/E output levels. Quantity ain't what wins though. The articulate manner in which the sound is delivered is far more important to my aging, but still discerning (picky) ears.

To this point I've seen no reason for balanced cables/connections. Didn't need the extra volume for further damage my hearing, but the 300 Ohm 650's seem a bit under powered now. I'm going to see if I adjust to the changes before investing in balanced ins and outs.

Apr 23, 2023 at 9:59 AM Post #283 of 359
Price definitely sells.

After letting this amp (887) get by me several times when on sale, I quickly pulled the trigger on it at $168.
I've only had it a few days. Connected it to an AKM based XDUOO, an older Modi and a Modi Multibit all single ended ins and out.
Also dynamic driver cans are all I've tried. The three so far, Sennheiser HD58, HD650, and AKG K245's. I have some M1060 planar cans downstairs just haven't gotten to them yet.

My first impression of this amp is clean, revealing, and unforgiving. No complaints with these characteristics. However... the single ended output seems a bit anemic next to the other mostly inexpensive amps I have for comparison. The second gen Magni is a beast compared to 887 S/E output levels. Quantity ain't what wins though. The articulate manner in which the sound is delivered is far more important to my aging, but still discerning (picky) ears.

To this point I've seen no reason for balanced cables/connections. Didn't need the extra volume for further damage my hearing, but the 300 Ohm 650's seem a bit under powered now. I'm going to see if I adjust to the changes before investing in balanced ins and outs.
Strange. Using high gain SE i have tons of power with my 6xx. Never need to go beyond 1 oclock with most loud listening happening at 11 or 12. Dac used is SE 2.1 volts.
One note of caution, pot will get noisy after 4 months. Keep amp on all the time to avoid this.
I have had 3 of these so im pretty experienced with them.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2023 at 9:26 AM Post #284 of 359
Strange. Using high gain SE i have tons of power with my 6xx. Never need to go beyond 1 oclock with most loud listening happening at 11 or 12. Dac used is SE 2.1 volts.
One note of caution, pot will get noisy after 4 months. Keep amp on all the time to avoid this.
I have had 3 of these so im pretty experienced with them.
Yea, I've been surprised by how little difference there is between mid and high gain when using either of the Sennheiser cans.

My first thought using the Xduoo dac was lower output level. I know the Xduoo is lower volume than the Modi Multibit. It may be more of a matter of me adjusting to the new amp.

I am definitely impressed with the overall sound quality. Instruments seem to appear from the darkness. While the openness/expansion is far better with the 887 I think I'm sensing is a noticeable lack of bottom end boldness that the Magni is easily capable of on high gain with the 650's.

I'm going to spend more time with the 887 before diving into balanced pool.

Thanks for the heads up on the pot! I already leave my equipment powered up.

Apr 24, 2023 at 10:56 AM Post #285 of 359
I was on the Monoprice site just now and noticed this amp is on sale so I snagged one and a couple XLR cables. I'll be pairing it with a Teac UD-301 I've had for a few years now. My hope is that this amps flatness(if I can call it that) paired with the rich tone of the Burr Browns in the Teac will pair well together for a decent mid-range stack.
I'll be using my stock Fostex t50s. I would like to get the Fostex balanced so I may have to send them off to modhouse.
How did this combination work out for you? I have the TEAC and thinking about grabbing this amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back