Monoprice Monolith THX 887 - Impressions Thread
Apr 24, 2023 at 1:42 PM Post #286 of 360
I sold mine a few weeks ago. While it served its purpose, I decided THX amps weren't for me. In addition, this was the worst of all audio/production/synth equipment I've ever used in regards to pot quality. It got scratchy/static-y to the point where I found it unusable within months every time. Luckily, the 3 year warranty is good and they replaced it on 3 separate occasions since the original purchase. The 2nd unit also had power grounding issues and would cause a hum whenever I touched it and anything metal, even with nothing plugged into it.

I sold my last replacement unit and have moved to other amps and have been happier with the swap. It's still a good value at the low price is going for today, that is, if you are fine with a loud static-y knob on volume changes.

Apr 25, 2023 at 5:15 AM Post #287 of 360
I sold mine a few weeks ago. While it served its purpose, I decided THX amps weren't for me. In addition, this was the worst of all audio/production/synth equipment I've ever used in regards to pot quality. It got scratchy/static-y to the point where I found it unusable within months every time. Luckily, the 3 year warranty is good and they replaced it on 3 separate occasions since the original purchase. The 2nd unit also had power grounding issues and would cause a hum whenever I touched it and anything metal, even with nothing plugged into it.

I sold my last replacement unit and have moved to other amps and have been happier with the swap. It's still a good value at the low price is going for today, that is, if you are fine with a loud static-y knob on volume changes.

My Magni II volume control did the same thing. I was able to remove to cover and clean the pot with contact cleaner I have where I work.

You would think that scratchy pots would be a thing of the past. With multi layer boards component replacement ain't always as as simple as simply soldering a new one in.

May 6, 2023 at 10:04 AM Post #288 of 360
I will keep an eye out for when this drops to $200 again and if a promo code is available. It's at $250 now with no promo code that I've found. My only worry is that it might be too large for my desk. I've enjoyed the space saving the EX5 has given me with an all in one.

Jun 10, 2023 at 1:03 PM Post #289 of 360
After spending a bit more time with the MP amp overall I'm pleased with it's performance. My first impression was that it seemed a bit anemic considering its claimed power.

Like other things in life, first impressions are often skewed by preconceptions, etc. The amp has paired well with most cans I've connected. The detail is quite impressive. For such a low price it brings a lot to the table.

Jun 27, 2023 at 10:13 PM Post #290 of 360
I've had mine for several months now.

It's a solid amp. It just performs and just gets out of the way. It lets the music and the headphones do the talking.

But, I do wish Monoprice hadn't cheaped out on the lack of good indication on the volume and gain knobs. It's a relatively easy fix...just cut out a white label sticker to appropriate size and stick on where it should go on the dial.

Jun 27, 2023 at 10:21 PM Post #291 of 360
I've had mine for several months now.

It's a solid amp. It just performs and just gets out of the way. It lets the music and the headphones do the talking.

But, I do wish Monoprice hadn't cheaped out on the lack of good indication on the volume and gain knobs. It's a relatively easy fix...just cut out a white label sticker to appropriate size and stick on where it should go on the dial.

HERE is a post of mine from earlier in the thread fixing the indication issue with a couple dabs of White Out. It worked very well.

Jun 27, 2023 at 11:33 PM Post #292 of 360
I used one of those red dots that you stick onto various things. I cut it on both sides of the circle to form a line. This will stay on without rubbing off. Only using for volume knob. Didn't feel it was necessary for the gain switch.

Attachments

• 20230627_233200.jpg
    20230627_233200.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 0
Jul 20, 2023 at 1:56 AM Post #296 of 360
Man, $225 is an absolute steal for this amp. I've had mine for a couple of years now, and still love it for clean and linear listening.

Aug 22, 2023 at 8:40 PM Post #297 of 360
Monoprice has this amp on special. It’s down to $209 PLUS they gave a 30% off coupon code going. I didn’t think you could double up on the discount but it was no problem at checkout, so I got it for $146.99!!

Aug 22, 2023 at 8:46 PM Post #298 of 360
Monoprice has this amp on special. It’s down to $209 PLUS they gave a 30% off coupon code going. I didn’t think you could double up on the discount but it was no problem at checkout, so I got it for $146.99!!

What was the 30% off code? That would help someone looking to snag the amp at that great price.

Aug 23, 2023 at 12:30 AM Post #299 of 360
What was the 30% off code? That would help someone looking to snag the amp at that great price.
Sorry for the delayed response but yes they have an active 30% off code I think till the 24th. Almost bought some additional items as well but saving up for the JM Audio XTC’s to play it on , they’re supposed to be great.

Sep 5, 2023 at 9:18 AM Post #300 of 360
Got my 887 set up with an IFI Zen One DAC running my Hifiman HEK Stealths. I have the gain setting on medium and the volume up to 11 AM for now. It’s got a good
Stage and plenty of bass, very ballsy, I certainly don’t need more. So far pleased with the unit.
I did note the volume level is tough to see so thanks for the whiteout and tape recommendations! If that’s the biggest downside to this amp then I’m happy :)

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back