Monoprice Monolith THX 887 - Impressions Thread
Oct 11, 2023 at 7:19 PM Post #316 of 359
Hi, everyone.
New owner of the THX-887. I bought it new with a big discount because I wanted to have a solid state headamp with balanced connections. Something that didn't run too hot, too.
I have owned it for a couple of months and I am very impressed. I come from a Cayin IHA-6 (which I had to return after almost 6 months because the right channel started doing popping noises, and that was the 3rd defective unit!), Soloist 3XP, Jotunheim 2, and Lyr3 (the only one of the group I still keep).
After a few weeks of having the THX-887 I stopped using my Schiit Lyr3 because the bass of the THX-887 is way more controlled, with much more impact. The Lyr3 (stock tube) has this loose bass with hardly any definition, in comparison. I also get a much better sense of soundstage width and depth. Specially, that depth... I wasn't expecting it.
I'm using it with my Mojo2, which is single ended, and I noticed when using the balanced out with my Focal Clears OG and the Audeze LCD-X, the sound is thicker than using the single ended output. I tried balanced input with from a CD player, and the thickness in the balanced output was gone. The tonality was identical. Not the detail or the spaciousness, but the tonality was.
So I guess when using single ended input I will use the single ended jacks.

Oct 11, 2023 at 8:34 PM Post #317 of 359
Hi, everyone.
New owner of the THX-887. I bought it new with a big discount because I wanted to have a solid state headamp with balanced connections. Something that didn't run too hot, too.
I have owned it for a couple of months and I am very impressed. I come from a Cayin IHA-6 (which I had to return after almost 6 months because the right channel started doing popping noises, and that was the 3rd defective unit!), Soloist 3XP, Jotunheim 2, and Lyr3 (the only one of the group I still keep).
After a few weeks of having the THX-887 I stopped using my Schiit Lyr3 because the bass of the THX-887 is way more controlled, with much more impact. The Lyr3 (stock tube) has this loose bass with hardly any definition, in comparison. I also get a much better sense of soundstage width and depth. Specially, that depth... I wasn't expecting it.
I'm using it with my Mojo2, which is single ended, and I noticed when using the balanced out with my Focal Clears OG and the Audeze LCD-X, the sound is thicker than using the single ended output. I tried balanced input with from a CD player, and the thickness in the balanced output was gone. The tonality was identical. Not the detail or the spaciousness, but the tonality was.
Hi, the 887 is a nice unit and I like the choice of gain controls which help’s depending on the headphones and whether they have a balanced or SE connection. Sound is clean and these solid state amps work well with planar headphones which love lots of power. I still keep my tube amp as it has a special sound with the right phones. Great to have both!

Oct 18, 2023 at 4:18 PM Post #319 of 359
Hi all

I got myself a THX AAA 887 but suddenly the Gain switch seems to not be working anymore. It just doesn't do anything. It used to make the sound louder as you moved from 1-3 as expected. Anyone experienced this?
Hi Ardilla, I have not had that issue with mine. It’s probably something pretty straightforward but I would contact Monoprice if you bought it from them. They have a decent length warranty.

Oct 18, 2023 at 5:37 PM Post #320 of 359
Hi Ardilla, I have not had that issue with mine. It’s probably something pretty straightforward but I would contact Monoprice if you bought it from them. They have a decent length warranty.
Bought it used but I got a copy of the recipt - I'll send them an email maybe they'll help. Love the sound though 🙄

What do you mean "straightforward" - anything in i can fix myself, potentially?

Oct 18, 2023 at 5:47 PM Post #321 of 359
Bought it used but I got a copy of the recipt - I'll send them an email maybe they'll help. Love the sound though 🙄

What do you mean "straightforward" - anything in i can fix myself, potentially?
I don’t think you can do anything unless you remove the cover. Since the amp works but you cannot adjust the gain it’s probably something with the switch. I’d wait to see what they say.

Nov 2, 2023 at 7:47 AM Post #322 of 359
Hi, everyone.
Congrats on getting one. They seem to be out of stock these days. Personally I like the balanced output to my He-1000 stealth.

Very solid detail monster. A bit dry and sterile, but really all you need is another tube amp, which you already have, if you want some body and warmth. I think this amp is a worthy endgame for those of us that want to get off the treadmill.

Dec 1, 2023 at 4:13 PM Post #323 of 359
Congrats on getting one. They seem to be out of stock these days. Personally I like the balanced output to my He-1000 stealth.

Very solid detail monster. A bit dry and sterile, but really all you need is another tube amp, which you already have, if you want some body and warmth. I think this amp is a worthy endgame for those of us that want to get off the treadmill.
Hi!
I read a lot about it being dry and sterile, like you say. But I don't know if it's a matter of synergy or what (I use it with Aeon 2 Closed, Clear OG, HD6XX, LCD-XC 2021...), but that's far from my impression. It never sounds harsh with any headphones, unlike my past Soloist 3XP or Jotunheim 2, to mention just a couple of them which did not sound as good depending on the headphone.
The thing I enjoy the most is the depth in the soundstage. Imagine my surprise after reading so many times how flat it sounds.
Who would've thought...
Anyway, this has been my most obvious reminder of how subjective this all is. Even characteristics like depth that I would've thought should be quite objective.
For a little over 200 euros, this must be the best bargain I've had in audio.

Dec 18, 2023 at 2:16 AM Post #326 of 359

stuff like the magnius and topping stuff i guess is the competition replacement

Dec 19, 2023 at 5:32 AM Post #328 of 359
With the RCA inputs the sound is a little warmer and less fatiguing than the XLR inputs?
I thought actually the sound through my Clear OGs was thicker through balanced, but it is very headphone dependent.
I've never felt this amp was fatiguing at all. I actually consider it smooth. My impression of the THX887 is quite different from other users'. I like the depth, the smoothness, the soundstage...

Dec 19, 2023 at 5:35 AM Post #329 of 359
I bought this thx 887 to power a quad era 1, hifiman arya v2, hd 650 and clear mg, will they work well together?
I use mine often with the HD6XX, through balanced, and it is a terrific pairing. I own a Clear OG, not the MG, and it is also great.
I can't believe I settled for one of the cheapest amps I've had in the last few years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back