Monoprice Monolith THX 887 - Impressions Thread
Dec 19, 2023 at 6:01 AM Post #333 of 359
I thought actually the sound through my Clear OGs was thicker through balanced, but it is very headphone dependent.
I've never felt this amp was fatiguing at all. I actually consider it smooth. My impression of the THX887 is quite different from other users'. I like the depth, the smoothness, the soundstage...
I agree. It's neutral AND smooth. Great sounding amp with the HD800S e.g.

Dec 19, 2023 at 9:40 AM Post #336 of 359
I agree. It's neutral AND smooth. Great sounding amp with the HD800S e.g.
I have said this a thousand times. The 887 destroys the 789
Much more dynamic and much richer in tonality. It almost competes with my Class A Rebel Amp tonality wise.
However the big problem with these thx amps are the ridiculously poor pots.

Dec 19, 2023 at 10:27 AM Post #338 of 359
Forget about it. Monoprice basically has no headphone amps for sale other than the very cheap liquid spark which they
probably found a few laying around in their warehouse.
That might be because they sold of the current production run or they discontinued it. That'd be strange, it's such a good sounding amp 😕

Dec 21, 2023 at 4:53 AM Post #344 of 359
yes it's true, you have to try, the little dot 2 mk2 doesn't match well with the 887 and asgard 3 yes.
I see you have quad era 1, does it pair well with thx 887?
Didn't try it yet and my THX is on a RMA trip. Hope they find a unit to replace it with, otherwise I'm without.

However, all headphones i tried sounded god with the THX 887 so id guess it does

Dec 21, 2023 at 10:06 AM Post #345 of 359
I connected my asgard 3 as a pre-amp to the thx 887, the sound of the 887 now has more impact and vigor.
I tried adding my Lyr3 as a preamp, but the aspect I like the most about the THX887, which is depth, gets lost. I know there's a lot of love for Schiit amps, and I get it. But with Magni, Asgard 3, Jotunheim 2 and Lyr3, at least, they have never struck me as having much depth in the soundstage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back