Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Aug 3, 2019 at 1:45 PM Post #7,846 of 8,051
Hello, sorry to bump up an old message, but what stain did you use to get the wooden grills to match up this close? I just ordered a pair in walnut but would like to get them to look as close as this.

You want to use boiled linseed oil. If you have any questions about the grills or how to stain them feel free to PM me and I can help you answer any questions you may have about them.

Aug 3, 2019 at 5:21 PM Post #7,847 of 8,051
You want to use boiled linseed oil. If you have any questions about the grills or how to stain them feel free to PM me and I can help you answer any questions you may have about them.

I ordered the same last month. FYI, minty1 was immensely helpful! Mine came out a bit darker than the photo, but lighting may be a big factor.

You will also need longer screws. I highly recommend you get the cap head style hex screws, which really class up the finished look of the headphones.

Aug 12, 2019 at 3:20 PM Post #7,848 of 8,051
My latest print color.
20190812_140345.jpg 20190812_135838.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2019 at 9:05 PM Post #7,850 of 8,051
Anyone in this thread have a HE-400? Read: Not 400i,400s,4xx. Just wanted to know how the 1060 compares? Thinking about picking one up
Yeah I have both and both are modded in my case. I have lambskin ori pads on my HE-400 and vegans with honeycomb grilles on my M1060.

The he-400 with the ori pads are really, really good, and probably get the most head time out of all of my current headphones. Punchy bass, smooth, forward mids, and crystalline highs without the 10khz mountain they have stock.

The M1060, in contrast, is warmer, with less forward mids and treble. The bass has more slam and body thanks to the larger diaphragm. However, the timbre of the mids are more harsh and metallic, even with the vegans. If you aren't going to mod the M1060, I probably wouldn't bother with them. The stock grilles and pads really hurt the performance IMO. However, they are capable with a little modding and the right amp.

But based on everything I have read, an open M1060c is superior to the regular M1060 in every way. So I would say get the C if you are considering a M1060. Anyway, I hope that helps. I can compare specific aspects or songs if you would like. Just let me know.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2019 at 9:21 PM Post #7,851 of 8,051
Yeah I have both and both are modded in my case. I have lambskin ori pads on my HE-400 and vegans with honeycomb grilles on my M1060.

The he-400 with the ori pads are really, really good, and probably get the most head time out of all of my current headphones. Punchy bass, smooth, forward mids, and crystalline highs without the 10khz mountain they have stock.

The M1060, in contrast, is warmer, with less forward mids and treble. The bass has more slam and body thanks to the larger diaphragm. However, the timbre of the mids are more harsh and metallic, even with the vegans. If you aren't going to mod the M1060, I probably would bother with them. The stock grilles and pads really hurt the performance IMO. However, they are capable with a little modding and the right amp.

But based on everything I have read, an open M1060c is superior to the regular M1060 in every way. So I would say get the C if you are considering a M1060. Anyway, I hope that helps. I can compare specific aspects or songs if you would like. Just let me know.
Superb reply and since you're offering, could you compare this track by Trifonic since I listen to music similar to it (as well as it)

Aug 13, 2019 at 10:08 PM Post #7,852 of 8,051
Superb reply and since you're offering, could you compare this track by Trifonic since I listen to music similar to it (as well as it)

That's a cool sound, I really dig it. I'm definitely putting Trifonic on my list of artists to explore further. Note that all comparisons with done with a Modi v1 > Ifi ICAN SE with Xbass and 3D Sound both off. On to the comparison.

Imaging/soundstage
The HE-400 is the winner here. It has more precise imaging, I could pinpoint the sounds really well, the M1060 felt more like all the sound was coming from a blob rather than definitive directions. However, the M1060 has a slightly bigger Soundstage but it's a negligible benefit in this kind of music.

Bass
I'm going to have to give the nod to the M1060 here but it was close. It has less punch than the HE-400 but better extension, my ears were rumbling most of the song with the M1060. By contrast, The bass hits on the HE-400 were cleaner with better separation but it takes a backseat to the mids and highs.

Mids
This one is a toss up. The mids were a little too forward on the HE-400 for this type of music. The mid response definitely feels more at home with music that has vocals. However, the M1060 is lacking definition in the midrange even though the volume of the mids is on point. Can't really decide on this one.

Highs
Easy win for the HE-400 here. Way better detail and clarity which shines in music like this. The M1060's approach to highs was just too laid back and it got a little lost in the mix.

Anyway, I hope that made sense. I think I enjoyed HE-400 more but the M1060 had a good showing and I think it might have faired better had it been a modded M1060c. However, that's speculation since I don't have a pair to compare.

Aug 13, 2019 at 10:12 PM Post #7,853 of 8,051
Thank you so much, I've been looking to upgrade from my HE-400 for a while but can't find any open planars under $400 that have a similar signature to the HE-400 and are better in any way. You've helped me affirm why I still haven't upgraded from my HE-400 after 5 years (I still have the modi v1 too).

edit: I shouldn't have said "in any way" not removing that part - I just meant overall. I don't really care about bass with my he-400's. I have V-moda M-100's for that

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2019 at 10:29 PM Post #7,854 of 8,051
Thank you so much, I've been looking to upgrade from my HE-400 for a while but can't find any open planars under $400 that have a similar signature to the HE-400 and are better in any way. You've helped me affirm why I still haven't upgraded from my HE-400 after 5 years (I still have the modi v1 too).

You are welcome! I definitely feel that the HE-400 was a overlooked gem with a production that was too short. Like I said, I reach for them the most and they have some stiff competition (M1060, Elear, X-00 Purple hearts, HE-5se) I don't know what pads you are running on them, but ori pads (identical knock offs are actually what I'm using atm) are awesome. I had focus pads on them before and I liked them but I love them with the ori pads. It makes them just so dang enjoyable. Best $20 I ever spent in this hobby.
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/bdBimiJq

Aug 13, 2019 at 10:38 PM Post #7,855 of 8,051
You are welcome! I definitely feel that the HE-400 was a overlooked gem with a production that was too short. Like I said, I reach for them the most and they have some stiff competition (M1060, Elear, X-00 Purple hearts, HE-5se) I don't know what pads you are running on them, but ori pads (identical knock offs are actually what I'm using atm) are awesome. I had focus pads on them before and I liked them but I love them with the ori pads. It makes them just so dang enjoyable. Best $20 I ever spent in this hobby.
I use Focus Pads, when you mentioned the Ori pads I looked them up on the ZMF website and while I didn't mind the price - the shipping time was kind of ludicrous. It looks to be the same for the ones you're using but hell why not, I'll check them out (in a month) lol. Ordered.

Aug 13, 2019 at 10:47 PM Post #7,856 of 8,051

Thanks for the tip, I just bought those on your recommendation for my incoming HE-400, had a pair before that I let go and pulled the trigger recently on a used pair.

Aug 13, 2019 at 11:09 PM Post #7,858 of 8,051
Thanks for the tip, I just bought those on your recommendation for my incoming HE-400, had a pair before that I let go and pulled the trigger recently on a used pair.
Awesome, glad to help! Anyone I can turn onto this interesting combo I stumbled upon I call a win. On paper I definitely think the M1060 beats the HE-400 but listening tells a different story to me, at least. I think this a great example of an objectively inferior headphone sounding subjectly superior.

Aug 24, 2019 at 11:54 AM Post #7,859 of 8,051
Aug 31, 2019 at 11:23 AM Post #7,860 of 8,051
If you plan to mod the m1060c try some of my mods :wink:

Open grilles + baffled fazor + dynamat/foam on the periphery + thinest thermolam you can get.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back