Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
May 30, 2019 at 10:27 AM Post #7,816 of 8,051
Well, if you're handy with arts and crafts you might want to try combinations of thermolam, dynamat and fuzzor as alternative to foams.

May 30, 2019 at 10:29 AM Post #7,817 of 8,051
May 30, 2019 at 10:32 AM Post #7,818 of 8,051
Been lurking on this thread for a while and been loving all of the mods for the M1060. I'm working on another pair of M1060's for fun because I like to tinker with stuff. Got some stuff that's being 3D printed by DrSchnickistein and VRacer. But figured it would be a more interesting post if I also included a picture of my slightly modded M1060C.

The CAD file came from a reddit user named tortelett and got it laser cut out of walnut from Ponoko for $30. The linseed oil stain looks better in person. Only thing I did was the open end plates, replaced the factory screws with M2 hex screws, and added in a thin tuning foam. Might consider changing out the pads in the near future but I hope to post up more pictures of the M1060 with mods once the parts come in.

unnamed.jpg

Does he have a link?

May 30, 2019 at 3:51 PM Post #7,819 of 8,051
Does he have a link?
Here you go

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3387283

Download the file and go to https://make.ponoko.com/?utm_expid=.teghKIyeR-OpqklFiOo2dg.1&utm_referrer= and upload the file. I choose to go with Walnut hardwood with a thickness of 3.2mm so it lays flush with the cups. They also have Maple and Red Oak as other wood options but make sure it says hardwood and avoid the MDF veener stuff. During the checkout process the site will ask for measurements for the cuts. The dimensions you want to put in is 104mm x 104mm, make sure to add two sheets to the cart for two cuts. It's a perfect fit for the M1060C's, you'll want to use some kind of wood oil to stain them afterwards. I used linseed oil and applied three or four coats and the color pretty much matched the closed back cups that the M1060C comes with. The picture I posted doesn't do it justice.

Last edited:
May 30, 2019 at 7:00 PM Post #7,820 of 8,051
Here you go

Download the file and go to https://make.ponoko.com/?utm_expid=.teghKIyeR-OpqklFiOo2dg.1&utm_referrer= and upload the file. I choose to go with Walnut hardwood with a thickness of 3.2mm so it lays flush with the cups. They also have Maple and Red Oak as other wood options but make sure it says hardwood and avoid the MDF veener stuff. During the checkout process the site will ask for measurements for the cuts. The dimensions you want to put in is 104mm x 104mm, make sure to add two sheets to the cart for two cuts. It's a perfect fit for the M1060C's, you'll want to use some kind of wood oil to stain them afterwards. I used linseed oil and applied three or four coats and the color pretty much matched the closed back cups that the M1060C comes with. The picture I posted doesn't do it justice.

Awesome, thank you so much for the fine details as I am new to 3d cup orders. I will follow ur instructions.
Tony

May 30, 2019 at 9:32 PM Post #7,821 of 8,051
Here you go

Just put in the order, without your detailed instructions i would have not known how to do it. Thank you, i purchased the same as you, Walnut Hardwood, 3.2 thickness and 104.mm x 104.mm cut as you stated.
Tony

Jun 6, 2019 at 12:25 AM Post #7,822 of 8,051
The mods designed by DrSchnickistein and VRacer came out pretty nice in clear resin. Its a lot cleaner and smoother because of the SLA method of 3d printing. Might try sanding it down even smoother with high grit sandpaper. Waiting on my second pair of 1060's to arrive so I can slap them on. I'm also going to tinker with VRacers honeycomb design and convert the STL file to DXF so I can cut laser the grilles out of wood. Will update with pictures in the near future.

image0.png

Jun 6, 2019 at 12:36 AM Post #7,823 of 8,051
The mods designed by DrSchnickistein and VRacer came out pretty nice in clear resin. Its a lot cleaner and smoother because of the SLA method of 3d printing. Might try sanding it down even smoother with high grit sandpaper. Waiting on my second pair of 1060's to arrive so I can slap them on. I'm also going to tinker with VRacers honeycomb design and convert the STL file to DXF so I can cut laser the grilles out of wood. Will update with pictures in the near future.

image0.png
Looks great! I wonder if moulds could be created from these smoother prints and so semi-mass produced smooth parts could be made. I say this since far fewer people have access to a high quality SLA printer compared to a traditional 3D printer.

Jun 6, 2019 at 1:16 AM Post #7,824 of 8,051
Looks great! I wonder if moulds could be created from these smoother prints and so semi-mass produced smooth parts could be made. I say this since far fewer people have access to a high quality SLA printer compared to a traditional 3D printer.

I could try vacuum molding the parts after I give them an once over with some sandpaper. Believe it or not the parts came packed in a vacuum mold when they individually packed the printed parts. I outsourced the prints from All3DP if anyone was curious. The price difference between PLA and SLA resin wasn't too expensive.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2019 at 6:17 AM Post #7,825 of 8,051
I'm in the process of talking to armattan to mass produce the fazors in either carbon fiber or aluminum.

Jun 14, 2019 at 1:19 PM Post #7,826 of 8,051
hey gang! here are some new batch of grilles for the m1060C. this time they're "convertible" meaning you can quick detach the wood cups and turn it into an open can :wink:

mc7L9YO.png

well, it's still under approval but I'll post the kit as soon as possible :D

Jun 16, 2019 at 5:08 PM Post #7,827 of 8,051
Hey everyone, just wanted to throw an update with some stuff I've played with. Unfortunately no 3d printing stuff since I've been really lazy about fixing up my printer. I'd just like to show my current setup. I know the headphone looks pretty gross but it still sound great and I'll clean it up later... probably.
2hZ9Dza.jpg

The back plate is still the same with the Monolith logo glued with some cloth. I bought acoustic cloth samples that were really cheap and big enough to cover the back. I might try them out sometime to make the Monolith logo stand out a bit more. Fuzzor mod is inside the back of the driver but you can't really see it from here with the cloth.
YxlwfDf.jpg

I've glued some magnets to the RF1060 Mk3 for easy removal and pad swapping. I'm currently using the ZMF oval lambskins and pretty happy with the sound and comfort.
fXtZB2q.jpg

I've added felt tape to the driver with some cutouts to where the magnets go to help them stay in place. The felt also help to reduce leakage which caused some subbass to be lost when listening to music. Subbass and overall sound is very balanced overall now.
I see that there are more people getting into modding these so I'll probably take a step back with mods since I have a lot of personal things I need to take care of and pretty satisfied with where they are right now.

Jun 18, 2019 at 3:32 PM Post #7,828 of 8,051
All the credit goes to atilllla, I borrowed his design on thingiverse and converted it to a DXF file to get it laser printed. They came out very nice and completely circular in shape. Just like the wooden grilles I had for the M1060C's they're cut out of walnut hardwood. Still need to add on a finish which should give it some better color instead of that washed out look. Will update once they're stained and mounted.

m1060.jpg

Jun 19, 2019 at 11:57 AM Post #7,830 of 8,051
new sets of "convertible" grilles for m1060C are available here: https://armattanproductions.com/pages/shop_product_grid/1971

these are available in kit form so you only need to order 1 instead of 2 like before.

meanwhile, production version of the baffled fazors are now waiting for approval :D

we also discovered that they are fully compatible with m1060C!!!

v5Jlxew.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back