Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Jul 24, 2018 at 1:10 PM Post #7,276 of 8,051
So I'm thinking of getting a pair ZMF suede pads. Everyone says get the Eikons, but from what I can tell no one has tried any of the other pads. I'm looking specifically at the oval pads because they are a little thicker. Had anyone compared the different ZMF pads?
I bought ZMF suede universe pads from massdrop for my M1060 but I didn't like how it reduced the bass and soundstage at all. Sucked a lot of the life out of the headphones for me. I threw them on my T50RP and they seem to be playing nicely with them. I think the extra depth of the ovals would be good but I don't know if suedes are the way to go even if they are amazing in quality. They are true luxury earpads.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2018 at 1:37 PM Post #7,277 of 8,051
I bought ZMF suede universe pads from massdrop for my M1060 but I didn't like how it reduced the bass and soundstage at all. Sucked a lot of the life out of the headphones for me. I thethrew them on my T50RP and they seem to be playing nicely with them. I think the extra depth of the ovals would be good but I don't know if suedes are the way to go even if they are amazing in quality. They are true luxury earpads.
Interesting. That's what the dekoni pads did for me. I had heard that the ZMF suede Eikons were the best alternative to the vegan pads. Which everyone seems to like so much as it comes real close to matching the sound signature of the LCD-2s; the M1060s with the vegans and the fuzzor mods that is.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2018 at 1:46 PM Post #7,278 of 8,051
i just made a new mod for my M1060's and i think it fixes most issue with the headphones without going the vegan route, sadly i don't have measuring equipment to back up my claims but at least to me they sound amazing now, if someone has the equipment and is willing to try it out please be my guest
so the first thing that i did is replacing the stock pads with brainwavz round xl hybrid pads, i took out the cloth that covers the headphone as the ear pads come with it's own cloth, this reduced the 5k ringing but added a new problem, it created a HUGE spike at around 1-2k making female vocals extremely shouty, to solve this i reapplied the stock cloth from the previous pads underneath the cloth of the brainwavz's cloth, it brought back down the 1-2k spike and also reduced the sub base and the 8k frequency, then i applied the paper towel to the back and voila! now they sound more neutral than ever, of course some soundstage was lost but this had a huge soundstage to begin with so it didn't bothered me at all, second, the sub bass below 50 and the 8k frequencies suffered a little bit but that is easily tweaked with EQ, overall i'm pretty happy with the sound, it's still detailed and fun but a whole lot less fatiguing

Jul 27, 2018 at 1:01 PM Post #7,280 of 8,051
Are the M1060 V.2 Refurbs still a good bargain?
Is the build quality really awful compared to Audeze?
How long is warranty from Monoprice on them?
I think that the M1060 V2 is still a great deal. Audeze has some of the best build quality out there so not much is going to compare with them. That being said, Audeze is also a lot less comfortable in my opinion, due to the weight mostly and more clamping force. I believe the warranty for Monoprice is 5 years.

Jul 28, 2018 at 9:41 PM Post #7,282 of 8,051
Welp, been on a pad rolling spree and just had to know how they sounded.

WZneHiv.jpg

Wow, honestly game over. These are the pads to go for. As soon as I put them on I knew they were staying on. I had the M1060's ranked behind my TH-X00PH's and X2's but now they're definitely at the top of my list. The sound signature is awesome and detail is on point. The Eikon's were definitely nice, but the sound signature was more on the darker side. Highs were mellowed out and lacking at times. I did the paper towel mod which sort of helped bring it back but it was still pushed back. With the vegan pads, the presence of the highs are back but with more clarity for the mids and still having a bass boost. Soundstage is also an improvement, most likely due to the pads being bigger and more plush than the Eikon's.

On closer inspection, the Dekoni's have the right shape but the material on the inside of the pad is different. On the vegans, it's more of an open mesh where as the Dekoni's were felt-like on the inside. Hard to tell in the pic, but I can faintly see the driver with the vegans. I can only guess that the felt was dampening the sound where as the mesh do a better job of letting the sound through. I am tempted to try replacing the inside material of the Dekoni's and seeing if this is what's causing it, but these Audeze pads are a pain to take off. The brown paint on the back of the pads peels off so easily. You can sort of see it on the first pic with the right pad, the lighter brown peaks through the cracks.

LC9ee9r.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2018 at 12:07 PM Post #7,283 of 8,051
Alright, so I've been lurking in this thread for over a year now. You can probably see my scant replies. So, it's time for my contribution -- I tried some new pads nobody was talking about. These in lambskin. I honestly got them because they were made for the m1060, which was a plus to me, and only because one of my headphone pads were falling apart. I wasn't expecting a difference in sound quality, but I was very wrong; these make a markable improvement in sound quality. I would say that there has been a needed improvement in sound stage/instrument seperation. For example, the song I'm Only Joking by Kongos used to sound far too congested (Even my non audiophile friends noted how they sound far too busy). Now, the instruments have room to breathe, giving them enough separation to shine and making the song much more enjoyable.

I think I've noticed other things, but I feel like they're either side effects of the instrument separation, or placebo (For example, the headphones seem to be more airy, but when I focus on a specific instrument the effect seems to disappear).

Jul 30, 2018 at 12:40 PM Post #7,284 of 8,051
Alright, so I've been lurking in this thread for over a year now. You can probably see my scant replies. So, it's time for my contribution -- I tried some new pads nobody was talking about. These in lambskin. I honestly got them because they were made for the m1060, which was a plus to me, and only because one of my headphone pads were falling apart. I wasn't expecting a difference in sound quality, but I was very wrong; these make a markable improvement in sound quality. I would say that there has been a needed improvement in sound stage/instrument seperation. For example, the song I'm Only Joking by Kongos used to sound far too congested (Even my non audiophile friends noted how they sound far too busy). Now, the instruments have room to breathe, giving them enough separation to shine and making the song much more enjoyable.

I think I've noticed other things, but I feel like they're either side effects of the instrument separation, or placebo (For example, the headphones seem to be more airy, but when I focus on a specific instrument the effect seems to disappear).
I have the lambskin Alpha Pads from Mr. Speakers and they sound incredible. It boost the bass, sound-stage, & separation. It doesn't seem to negatively impact the other frequency ranges either.

Jul 30, 2018 at 12:42 PM Post #7,285 of 8,051
Welp, been on a pad rolling spree and just had to know how they sounded.

WZneHiv.jpg

Wow, honestly game over. These are the pads to go for. As soon as I put them on I knew they were staying on. I had the M1060's ranked behind my TH-X00PH's and X2's but now they're definitely at the top of my list. The sound signature is awesome and detail is on point. The Eikon's were definitely nice, but the sound signature was more on the darker side. Highs were mellowed out and lacking at times. I did the paper towel mod which sort of helped bring it back but it was still pushed back. With the vegan pads, the presence of the highs are back but with more clarity for the mids and still having a bass boost. Soundstage is also an improvement, most likely due to the pads being bigger and more plush than the Eikon's.

On closer inspection, the Dekoni's have the right shape but the material on the inside of the pad is different. On the vegans, it's more of an open mesh where as the Dekoni's were felt-like on the inside. Hard to tell in the pic, but I can faintly see the driver with the vegans. I can only guess that the felt was dampening the sound where as the mesh do a better job of letting the sound through. I am tempted to try replacing the inside material of the Dekoni's and seeing if this is what's causing it, but these Audeze pads are a pain to take off. The brown paint on the back of the pads peels off so easily. You can sort of see it on the first pic with the right pad, the lighter brown peaks through the cracks.

LC9ee9r.jpg
Thanks for this post. It would have been great to have had this a few weeks ago when I ordered the Dekoni Microsuede pads. Looks like there is no competing against the now discontinued Audeze Microsuede Vegan pads.

Jul 30, 2018 at 2:21 PM Post #7,286 of 8,051
Thanks for this post. It would have been great to have had this a few weeks ago when I ordered the Dekoni Microsuede pads. Looks like there is no competing against the now discontinued Audeze Microsuede Vegan pads.
I just checked the Bay and they're going for a fortune right now. The seller says they're an authorized dealer.

Jul 30, 2018 at 2:32 PM Post #7,287 of 8,051
I just checked the Bay and they're going for a fortune right now. The seller says they're an authorized dealer.
Yeah I see a few for like $150-170. i.e. 2x the cost of what they originally cost.

The question is is it worth half the price of the headphones to get the improvement in sound.

Jul 30, 2018 at 2:40 PM Post #7,288 of 8,051
I think one option even though they're not round might be the oval ZMF pads. I really liked their suede material that feel far more premium than most velour pads. The universe pads I bought though were too thin and caused some issues for me on the M1060. They have the right depth of 1.5 inch in the rear and .75 at front. I might pull the trigger on the oval lambskins as they're at a reasonable $50 and seem to mimic alpha pads from Mr Speakers. I've not had much issue with sound on the stock pads after modding but I do love real leather.

From images I've seen from Dekoni and some reviews, I don't know if I'd trust their velours to be a good fit for the M1060.

Jul 31, 2018 at 10:14 AM Post #7,289 of 8,051
I think one option even though they're not round might be the oval ZMF pads. I really liked their suede material that feel far more premium than most velour pads. The universe pads I bought though were too thin and caused some issues for me on the M1060. They have the right depth of 1.5 inch in the rear and .75 at front. I might pull the trigger on the oval lambskins as they're at a reasonable $50 and seem to mimic alpha pads from Mr Speakers. I've not had much issue with sound on the stock pads after modding but I do love real leather.

From images I've seen from Dekoni and some reviews, I don't know if I'd trust their velours to be a good fit for the M1060.
I was also thinking of the oval ZMF Microsuede because of the size/thickness, but someone (I don't remember who) said they didn't like the one of the ZMF microsuede pads (Not the Oval; a different model pad) with the M1060s. And so I'm a little hesitant to pull the trigger.

Just checked. Apparently it was you PockyG who didn't like the ZMF Universal pads.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2018 at 11:01 AM Post #7,290 of 8,051
I was also thinking of the oval ZMF Microsuede because of the size/thickness, but someone (I don't remember who) said they didn't like the one of the ZMF microsuede pads (Not the Oval; a different model pad) with the M1060s. And so I'm a little hesitant to pull the trigger.

Just checked. Apparently it was you PockyG who didn't like the ZMF Universal pads.
Yeah it was me lol. I didn't like them on my M1060 but to be fair, they were much much thinner than stock and had similar issues when testing with hifiman pads which had similar thickness. I'm really liking the ovals since they appear to be nearly a copy of the alpha pads for a bit cheaper with the right amount of depth.

I'm not really looking for a change in sound atm since I'm very happy where they are now with stock pads. Mostly looking for a more premium material after owning the ZMF universe suedes.

At worst, my T50RP would have more earpads than I have shoes lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back