Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Jul 31, 2018 at 1:01 PM Post #7,291 of 8,051
What I don't understand, is why Monoprice doesn't make a Vegan pad themselves to sell. How hard could it be to source this job out? Change the material of your stock earpad to something similar to the Audeze, boom, huge profits.

Funny thing is I've never heard my M1060 stock pads. Ordered the vegans and headphone at the same time. I hate leather and swapped them immediately upon arrival. I'd never listen to them with those pads so why bother? Audio memory is terrible so I didn't see a point. I've permanently attached the fazor plates front and back as well to minimize rattle. I love them, and they still get a lot of love even though they are the cheapest in the rotation. They're just so much fun.

Edit: another thought. Since these can be modded, why not sell these mods as well? Different back plates, etc? They could even design the M1060 with modding intended, with attachment holes or whatever in the correct places. Open, closed, semi, fazor, damping, etc. Basically a make your own sound headphone.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2018 at 1:06 PM Post #7,292 of 8,051
What I don't understand, is why Monoprice doesn't make a Vegan pad themselves to sell. How hard could it be to source this job out? Change the material of your stock earpad to something similar to the Audeze, boom, huge profits.

I can't imagine why they haven't done that very thing. Maybe they aren't following the modifications that people have done to the Monolith line. They would sell so many the first day they dropped. And as a little ironic bonus, people with Audeze headphones would have the Monolith pads on them if they needed replacements.

Jul 31, 2018 at 4:50 PM Post #7,293 of 8,051
I wonder how hard it would be to replicate the vegan pads for them, keeping the freq response changes similar. I would be happy if they offered one and had pre applied glue strips on the back so you just rip off the stock and replace with the monolith vegans.

Edit: A Velcro style system would work great as well. IDK if it would affect the sound much, but just offer the 2 Velcro sides that exactly fit and stick to the cups of the m1060 and another side that would stick to a pad or a plastic or other material lip that could accommodate other pads.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2018 at 8:01 PM Post #7,294 of 8,051
I finally installed the plastic hexagon back plates in mine. I was surprised at how little room there is under the back plates.

Do most of you remove the foam/sponge circles from behind the back plates when you swap the plates, or do you leave the foam in?

If you want to use the rear fazors, I guess you have no choice but to remove the foam?

Jul 31, 2018 at 9:27 PM Post #7,295 of 8,051
I finally installed the plastic hexagon back plates in mine. I was surprised at how little room there is under the back plates.

Do most of you remove the foam/sponge circles from behind the back plates when you swap the plates, or do you leave the foam in?

If you want to use the rear fazors, I guess you have no choice but to remove the foam?

I had removed the foam a long time ago. It widens the soundstage and brings the highs up a bit. I found after I did it that the highs were just a little fatiguing and that the fazors made the frequency response more evened out. But the peaks in the highs were still a little much sometimes.

Since I don't have vegan pads too tame the peaking (and I just barely got the honeycomb grills), I actually applied the fuzzor mods to the fazors (pad side) and that was perfect for me.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2018 at 4:40 PM Post #7,296 of 8,051
I had removed the foam a long time ago. It widens the soundstage and brings the highs up a bit. I found after I did it that the highs were just a little fatiguing and that the fazors made the frequency response more evened out. But the peaks in the highs were still a little much sometimes.

Since I don't have vegan pads too tame the peaking (and I just barely got the honeycomb grills), I actually applied the fuzzor mods to the fazors (pad side) and that was perfect for me.

I liked the sound without the foam, but I still have it in because I'm concerned about dust and stuff getting in the driver. Have you had any issues or is it really just not something to worry about at all?

Aug 1, 2018 at 4:43 PM Post #7,297 of 8,051
I liked the sound without the foam, but I still have it in because I'm concerned about dust and stuff getting in the driver. Have you had any issues or is it really just not something to worry about at all?

I made a dust cover using some black pantyhose, which I glued to the grill.

Aug 1, 2018 at 4:59 PM Post #7,299 of 8,051
Does that affect the sound at all? I would also like to know if that reduces the openness a little bit, compared to nothing and stock (if you even noticed or remembered a difference).
I lstened to them without the dust cover; foam in and foam out. Also with dust cover, foam in and out.

The dust cover doesn't affect the sound at all. At least not that I could tell.

Aug 3, 2018 at 5:47 PM Post #7,300 of 8,051
I currently have the original M1060 with the paper towel mod and Vegan pads. I would like to try a Fazor mod. Is there anywhere to get Fazors? I have done some searching an have not found them for sale.

Aug 4, 2018 at 2:00 AM Post #7,301 of 8,051
Aug 4, 2018 at 2:51 AM Post #7,302 of 8,051
Are they stopping to make these headphones? If so I wonder why

Aug 4, 2018 at 4:21 AM Post #7,303 of 8,051
Aug 5, 2018 at 10:13 PM Post #7,304 of 8,051
Are they stopping to make these headphones? If so I wonder why
I haven't heard anything about them not making the m1060 anymore. Where did you get that idea?

Aug 6, 2018 at 1:14 AM Post #7,305 of 8,051
Hey guys, my printer is currently running but right now I'm using it for prototyping and not for production right now since I don't really trust it for volume printing. Sorry about that. If I can find a cheap method for injection molding or something I might get back into producing more fazors at cost. Sorry for the bad news.

Personally I'd skip the rear fazors and use the fuzzor mod since guiding the waves in the rear is not as important as the ear side and reducing resonance should be the priority in the grill side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back