Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Jun 25, 2018 at 7:41 PM Post #7,216 of 8,051
I just received my 3D printed m1060 parts (thanks SomeTechNoob), but I'm a bit hesitant to start modding without a game plan. Is there some kind of tutorial or step by step photo guide to disassembling the M1060 for mods?

For the replacement grilles, is it as simple as removing the 4 small screws on each grille? What is under there besides the foam sheet? Would removal of the grille and foam sheet allow me to install the rear fazors, or is more disassembly required?

What about the ear pad side fazors? Do I just peel off the ear pads and then stick them on? Is double sided tape recommended, or something else?

Would love to find an "Idiot's Guide to M1060 mods!"
For the grills: correct, 4 screws and you're ready to swap. Just the foam. No more disassembly.
Pad side: You can use double sided tape, but that can be a challenge, replicating the ring shape. I used Elmer's School glue; it's easy to remove, for future pad swapping.

Jun 26, 2018 at 9:34 AM Post #7,217 of 8,051
What mods are required on the monolith to get the best out of it. I've read about new grills, but where do you get them from?
A lot of people won't require mods to enjoy the sound. You could get a set from Monoprice and return them if you don't like them off the bat.

A free mod is to remove the foam cover the outside of the driver. You can see the it's thick/dense from my pictures earlier.

Another simple mod is the replacement grill, the stock one is metal and covers a large portion of the driver which could cause issue with sound reflecting off it. 3D printed grills can be purchased from some users on the forums, you may have a maker-space near you where you can get your hands on a printer, or you can find a service online where you can upload the parts you want printed and you'll get them mailed to you in a few days.

Replacing the glued on ear pads is fairly straightforward, you can use glue/double sided tape to stick on different ones. Someone also posted earlier a magnetic attachment for pads, you just place the pads you want to use on this piece then snap them onto the headphones.

Now there's fuzzors, adhesive felt applied onto the drivers and fazors, 3D printed parts you can glue/tape on to the drivers. These mods try to replicate what some Audeze sets use.
Fazor-Element-Diagram.jpg

You can also print an add on for the fazor so you can place any pads you want in a traditional fashion.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2018 at 1:25 PM Post #7,218 of 8,051
I just received my 3D printed m1060 parts (thanks SomeTechNoob), but I'm a bit hesitant to start modding without a game plan. Is there some kind of tutorial or step by step photo guide to disassembling the M1060 for mods?

For the replacement grilles, is it as simple as removing the 4 small screws on each grille?

Yes, It's as simple as 4 screws and swap. My suggestion is to start with just the grills and give it some time. If you're still not pleased, dive into the other mods, but don't be surprised if there's not much of a difference beyond then. IMHO the grills were 90% of the improvement and the rest of the mods only 10%.

Jun 26, 2018 at 2:20 PM Post #7,219 of 8,051
Hey guys, my 3D printer is operational again meaning I may develop more designs in the future to test and release. TBH I don't really know how much further I can mod these things since I pretty much love the way they sound now. I might add some slots to the front fazor design to make them easier to attach and detach with magnets. If you guys think of any design ideas that might help improve the M1060 further, I might look into designing them.

I think I might move onto another headphone project soon but you guys have been great. Custom T50RP open back cups might be fun.

Jun 26, 2018 at 11:54 PM Post #7,220 of 8,051
For the grills: correct, 4 screws and you're ready to swap. Just the foam. No more disassembly.
Pad side: You can use double sided tape, but that can be a challenge, replicating the ring shape. I used Elmer's School glue; it's easy to remove, for future pad swapping.

Thanks!

Is there a specific brand of double sided tape readily available at Walmart or Home Depot that is recommended? I've seen people refer to very thin tape for mounting fazors, but no one has mentioned a specific brand and product.

Also, what's the best way to apply the tape to the rear fazors? Is it sufficient to put tape only around the four sides of the perimeter?

Jun 27, 2018 at 1:34 AM Post #7,221 of 8,051
I'm wondering if carpet tape might work. I use strong double sided tape or lightly applied Elmer glue.

Jun 27, 2018 at 8:46 AM Post #7,222 of 8,051
Thanks!

Is there a specific brand of double sided tape readily available at Walmart or Home Depot that is recommended? I've seen people refer to very thin tape for mounting fazors, but no one has mentioned a specific brand and product.

Also, what's the best way to apply the tape to the rear fazors? Is it sufficient to put tape only around the four sides of the perimeter?
On Amazon, do a search for "3M double sided". For a gapless seal of the pads, I would look into the 4" x 8" sheets and a compass (to make the ring's inner & outer circumference). For the fazors, tape
or
1 small bottle of Elmer's School glue for everything

Jun 27, 2018 at 8:49 AM Post #7,223 of 8,051
Thanks!

I use this stuff, and it works really well: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UI47HPE/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I put tape around the 4 sides, and along all the cross pieces. Maybe overkill, but it worked.

Jun 27, 2018 at 9:24 AM Post #7,224 of 8,051
Having played all day with my HEK V1, my 1060, and 560,I prefer the 560, all played from Mac USB, into HA1, into iCAN SE, but also straight into HA1 Balanced out. The thing that stood out for me, was the 560 sound as if I am standing in the middle of the group/band/orchestra,the 1060, seem to be a foot away, and the HEK gives me the impression of being 6 feet away.I don't like to give thoughts on Bass/bleed/mids/Upper mids/treble extension etc., as my ears are nearly 78 years old.I now wonder why I spent that amount of money, on the HEK?!.

Jun 28, 2018 at 2:57 PM Post #7,225 of 8,051
Reverse engineered Audeze vegans, they have brown paint that rips like a mother when you take them off. What is odd they have a brown faux leather on the inside, why the used paint on the outside is so dumb.

wmFgf6x.jpg

Jul 4, 2018 at 11:42 AM Post #7,227 of 8,051
I remember seeing a custom 3d-printed fitting for hifiman earpads on the m1060's, but I can't seem to find it. Does anyone know about it or have a link?

Probably the magnetic pad adapters. http://www.ursine.audio/item/d-printed-monolith-m-magnetic-pad-adapters
The pad just needs to be 110mm+ i took off the crappy monoprice glue and made my own double sided ring with a compass cutter. You can get lot's of reuse once the glue and pad is kept clean.

I have two sets of vegans I might be selling.

Jul 4, 2018 at 11:49 AM Post #7,228 of 8,051
Sorry to ask probably silly questions. I recently bought hifiman Sundara and had to send back as one headphone did not work. Not sure whether to risk another hifiman or try these. How do they compare? Are they more reliable than hifiman?

Jul 4, 2018 at 11:58 AM Post #7,229 of 8,051
Sorry to ask probably silly questions. I recently bought hifiman Sundara and had to send back as one headphone did not work. Not sure whether to risk another hifiman or try these. How do they compare? Are they more reliable than hifiman?

Hard to say, the headband is kinda crap but you will get warranty from monoprice. Supposedly they are working on a new headband.

PM incoming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back