Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
May 14, 2018 at 8:47 PM Post #7,111 of 8,051
I just Googled them and they are quite reasonably priced at only $45! How is the fit? Your images didn't seem to post correctly (at least, I can't see them). I have vegans but they won't last forever so I'm always looking at alternatives for down the line.
Yeah, not sure what happened with the pictures, I'll try and fix it when I get a minute.

They fit really well. Again, I'm using the 3D printed fazors and pad adapters, and they fit over that great. They're just a hair smaller than the actual earcups, so they'd fit well using doublestick tape too. A note on the price, they're listed at $45, but with shipping I think the total came to about $58. Still not terrible, but not quite as good as it seems at first.

May 14, 2018 at 10:13 PM Post #7,113 of 8,051
So, I'm not sure what the general consensus is on pads for the M1060 at this point, but I recently got a set of Cascadia Audio Impact pads (designed for their T50RP mod), and I'm loving them. They seem to boost the low mids, and the low end, a bit. Overall it warms up the sound, and adds just a touch more punch to the bass. I'm have @PockyG's 3D printed fazors on as well, and together with these pads, I'm in love with these headphones all over again. I haven't been able to get my hands on Audeze Vegan pads, or ZMF Suede, so I can't compare against those, but I'm really happy with these. They're really deep, and have a large earhole too, so they're super comfortable, even with my freakishly large head and ears.

6mgCSvVRYcI8jldy1

AF1QipOm7kaoXGvBkR5WFDMDCy_oI3Y3b6If4-8kqUEH

AF1QipNAxrS3VKNzHHgjYk5Y1soYDHHpd3U_cY4wMJcI

Pictures can be found here: https://imgur.com/a/zGTFzCP

May 14, 2018 at 10:18 PM Post #7,114 of 8,051
I really want to get a pair of either the m1060 or m560, the only problem is my headphone amp is the original Schiit Mjolnir which only has balanced out. I have a XLR balanced cable from my hifiman he400i, would they work on the monoprice headphones? If not compatible, please point me to where I can buy a XLR balanced cable without breaking the bank.
20180514_221311_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
May 14, 2018 at 10:48 PM Post #7,115 of 8,051
I bought one of those sexy looking replacement cables from Monoprice: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=29515
I use a balanced setup with my Audio-gd NFB-28.38 so the 3.5mm connector just wasn't up to par for me, and so....
ONE AWESOME SOLDERING IRON BURN LATER: (thumbs up included in picture)

https://puu.sh/Amoco/891379c50b.jpg

Can confirm that the Monoprice 29515 is actually really easy to desolder from its original 3.5mm, separate the L/R grounds, and resolder to a Neutrik XLR 4-pin :D

It's a shame Monoprice isn't doing this themselves, but really, this is the most elegant M1060 balanced cable I could come up with for just $35 (29515 cable + Neutrik XLR)

As for the sound, I can't really say I notice any sort of difference between running it with the extra 3.5mm connector 29515 cable vs new XLR resoldered 29515 cable. Sorry :D
This cable has absolutely no noticeable microphonics beyond 4 inches from the 2.5mm connectors. I could close my eyes and have someone stroke the cable and I would not even know it was happening. Huge upgrade from my earlier custom made cable (the same kind that comes with stock Beyer T1) which was like 9 times heavier.

Last edited:
May 15, 2018 at 9:01 PM Post #7,117 of 8,051
Can someone who owns both, tell me if you can put the 1060 cup on the 560 headband.

May 15, 2018 at 9:04 PM Post #7,118 of 8,051
Just a quick pic of my M1060 with the new cable:

That is a gorgeous cable, I spent more on a cable that I am not really happy with for my Alpha Primes. I did buy a Chinese one off eBay for $64 but I think it's gone up to $75 for 2m
https://www.ebay.com/itm/263687990851?var=&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

I bought one of those sexy looking replacement cables from Monoprice: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=29515
I use a balanced setup with my Audio-gd NFB-28.38 so the 3.5mm connector just wasn't up to par for me, and so....
ONE AWESOME SOLDERING IRON BURN LATER: (thumbs up included in picture)

https://puu.sh/Amoco/891379c50b.jpg

Can confirm that the Monoprice 29515 is actually really easy to desolder from its original 3.5mm, separate the L/R grounds, and resolder to a Neutrik XLR 4-pin :D

It's a shame Monoprice isn't doing this themselves, but really, this is the most elegant M1060 balanced cable I could come up with for just $35 (29515 cable + Neutrik XLR)

As for the sound, I can't really say I notice any sort of difference between running it with the extra 3.5mm connector 29515 cable vs new XLR resoldered 29515 cable. Sorry :D
This cable has absolutely no noticeable microphonics beyond 4 inches from the 2.5mm connectors. I could close my eyes and have someone stroke the cable and I would not even know it was happening. Huge upgrade from my earlier custom made cable (the same kind that comes with stock Beyer T1) which was like 9 times heavier.

That is a good price and I am thinking of putting a neutrik on my regular cable. good job.

May 15, 2018 at 11:03 PM Post #7,119 of 8,051
Can someone who owns both, tell me if you can put the 1060 cup on the 560 headband.
I own both but can’t get the yokes off the m560 headband. I got an extra used set just for that reason. So I’m curious too. If anyone can remove the yokes please tell how.

May 15, 2018 at 11:42 PM Post #7,120 of 8,051
Yeah, not sure what happened with the pictures, I'll try and fix it when I get a minute.

They fit really well. Again, I'm using the 3D printed fazors and pad adapters, and they fit over that great. They're just a hair smaller than the actual earcups, so they'd fit well using doublestick tape too. A note on the price, they're listed at $45, but with shipping I think the total came to about $58. Still not terrible, but not quite as good as it seems at first.

May I see the pad adapter and where can I get it?

I have yet to see a pic of this in use and how it's applied.

Last edited:
May 16, 2018 at 7:27 AM Post #7,121 of 8,051
May 16, 2018 at 9:31 AM Post #7,122 of 8,051
Can I see what the pad looks like on from side? That monoprice glue will also come off.

I am actually surprised someone hasn't made a fazor and pad ring that utilizes the 3 screws and if needed replace with longer ones.

Last edited:
May 16, 2018 at 9:45 AM Post #7,123 of 8,051
Can I see what the pad looks like on from side? That monoprice glue will also come off.

I am actually surprised someone hasn't made a fazor and pad ring that utilizes the 3 screws and if needed replace with longer ones.

I can take some more pictures when I get home. And yeah, I just haven't bothered to take the original glue off. This setup works pretty well for me, and is nice if you're taking stuff on and off while testing. But using those screws could be work too, would make for a more permenant solution perhaps.

May 16, 2018 at 10:18 AM Post #7,124 of 8,051
I can take some more pictures when I get home. And yeah, I just haven't bothered to take the original glue off. This setup works pretty well for me, and is nice if you're taking stuff on and off while testing. But using those screws could be work too, would make for a more permenant solution perhaps.

Yea so have the ring adapter and fazor an all in one and mounted with the 3 screws, it being an all in one might allow the ring to be even closer to the metal for a more flush look. It would mean finding slightly longer screws if the stock ones are to short.

I was also wondering could a wood PLA be used.

Last edited:
May 16, 2018 at 10:30 AM Post #7,125 of 8,051
Yea so have the ring adapter and fazor an all in one and mounted with the 3 screws, it being an all in one might allow the ring to be even closer to the metal for a more flush look. It would mean finding slightly longer screws if the stock ones are to short.

I was also wondering could a wood PLA be used.

If you are thinking about using the screws that you can see when you remove the pad, don't. They hold the driver together and the magnets in place. More than one person on this forum has ruined their driver by removing these screws.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back