Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Oct 9, 2017 at 11:09 AM Post #5,821 of 8,051
They seem pretty reliable now. My replacement set has no cracks and performs wonderfully.

Mine are 2nd generation and build quality is quite good. No cracks, loose screws, etc.
BUT....it squeaks when you move the headband/cups like a beginning saxophone player at an elementary school band concert.

Thanks guys! And just to be extra sure about it, cause I live in Barcelona so the climate is pretty humid here, how difficult/expensive would it be to replace those wooden rings in a hifi shop (instead of sending them back)?

Oct 9, 2017 at 11:16 AM Post #5,822 of 8,051
I think humidity will be to your advantage. My thought is that a dry climate makes the wood shrink and crack.

Oct 9, 2017 at 12:33 PM Post #5,824 of 8,051
Thanks guys! And just to be extra sure about it, cause I live in Barcelona so the climate is pretty humid here, how difficult/expensive would it be to replace those wooden rings in a hifi shop (instead of sending them back)?
If it helps ... I bought my second gen. (after returning my first gen. with cracks, etc.) when I was in California (L.A.) last winter and they were fine. I live in Estepona (Costa Del Sol) and they've been living here happily for the last three plus, crack free, months :) My feeling is they dried the wood much more before building the second gen. cups so that they wouldn't shrink (appreciably) once shipped. I can't remember hearing of any cracks with the second gen.

Oct 9, 2017 at 12:45 PM Post #5,825 of 8,051
If it helps ... I bought my second gen. (after returning my first gen. with cracks, etc.) when I was in California (L.A.) last winter and they were fine. I live in Estepona (Costa Del Sol) and they've been living here happily for the last three plus, crack free, months :) My feeling is they dried the wood much more before building the second gen. cups so that they wouldn't shrink (appreciably) once shipped. I can't remember hearing of any cracks with the second gen.

I have a first batch of the second gen and my right earcup has a crack. It cracked on like day two of ownership. But I live the southwest corner of Utah, right by the Arizona/Utah/Nevada border. That's about as hot and dry as it gets. I never bothered to return them because they sound fine since it's cosmetic. I'll RMA them when/if the drivers ever starts to have problems. I've got 4.5 years left on my warranty. :)

Oct 9, 2017 at 3:10 PM Post #5,827 of 8,051
Argh... I was about to get the he400i for 280€ and call it a day, and then these m1060 come up with the promise to sound like Audeze 2 which I've tried and really liked. Anyway thanks for the info guys, helps a lot!!
You picked 3 headphones that seem to be very popular but all have had some QC issues: HE400i has had issues with 2.5mm jacks not installed correctly and there seems to be some variation in sound between units, M1060 with wood cracking and many feel the need to change the ear pads and add toilet paper to correct sound deficiencies and the LCD-2 with driver failures which seems to have been corrected since I haven't heard of failures lately. I know that there is a person in Greece that can make the wood parts of the LCD since there are some who have had custom LCD size wood housings made for mounting smaller Ypsilon drivers.

Oct 9, 2017 at 5:15 PM Post #5,828 of 8,051
Alright, this is going to be my final run for the fazors. Big thank you to everyone for their patience and support!

This batch will include a pair of V4.1 100mm pad adapter, front fazors, and V3 grills this time. I feel that the rear fazors are cool but don't make much of a difference in terms of sound and they're a bit tough to install with stock foam.

Gonna format this a little differently:

Guaranteed. Sorry for the delay:
@cskippy
@justin Montagano
@Memento24

Final run list:
@Astonish
@ses1984
@Cocopah
@69mustang
@nooblevel15000
@iKudo
@denox
@kellychan
@jazzfuze

On priority waiting list:
@NTK1
@Yevgen Chupak

Please PM me your PayPal email and I'll send an invoice. I'm about halfway done with production. Total cost will be $7 for continental US which includes shipping. For those in Canada or overseas, shipping will be calculated on invoice.

I'll be waiting one week for PMs, otherwise anyone else who was waiting will be slotted in your spot.

If you guys already ordered from @SomeTechNoob let me know so I can take you off the list.

Oct 10, 2017 at 2:50 PM Post #5,829 of 8,051
Damn, was 5 or more years away from headfi, and now this. Have a severe ortho bite for years though, only the vintage ones till now, love my RP18s. Gotta get some cash for the M1060...

Oct 10, 2017 at 5:44 PM Post #5,830 of 8,051
Not to dissuade you from getting the M1060 but I might also look at the Hifiman HE560 and new Acoustic Research AR-H1. They are more expensive than the M1060 but you don't necessarily have to mod to get the most out of them plus comfort is better. I think you can get the HE560 for $500 or less new and the AR-H1 is $600. If your budget is $300 then by all means go for the M1060 or maybe HE-400i depending on taste.

Oct 10, 2017 at 6:06 PM Post #5,831 of 8,051
Damn, was 5 or more years away from headfi, and now this. Have a severe ortho bite for years though, only the vintage ones till now, love my RP18s. Gotta get some cash for the M1060...

Not to dissuade you from getting the M1060 but I might also look at the Hifiman HE560 and new Acoustic Research AR-H1. They are more expensive than the M1060 but you don't necessarily have to mod to get the most out of them plus comfort is better. I think you can get the HE560 for $500 or less new and the AR-H1 is $600. If your budget is $300 then by all means go for the M1060 or maybe HE-400i depending on taste.

Agree. 1060s are nice, but not getting any head time here since I got the 560s. As always, YMMV :)

Oct 10, 2017 at 6:08 PM Post #5,832 of 8,051
I returned my M1060's in favor of the HE-560. As I've stated before, my personal preferences definitely leaned towards the 560's being worth the premium. I found the build quality of the M1060 (Revision 2) to be anything but confidence inspiring and the stock sound quite harsh. I also listen to a lot of metal/rock, which sounded awful to me on the M1060. They definitely had their redeeming qualities, but for my personal use, they didn't fit the bill at all. At $500USD I think the HE-560 is a great deal, I love my pair, more so now that I have the right amp/dac to get more out of them.

Oct 10, 2017 at 6:19 PM Post #5,833 of 8,051
Got my fazors today, they work great! I used the adhesive rings that came with the audeze pads to mount them.
FP4l7yOh.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2017 at 6:26 PM Post #5,834 of 8,051
I'm quite curious as to how the 3d printed fazors work out. Surely the rough edges will cause disruptions in the way the soundwaves are channeled away from the driver. That's just my guess, so if it works fine, then hell, bonus! :D

Oct 10, 2017 at 6:57 PM Post #5,835 of 8,051
Got my fazors today, they work great! I used the adhesive rings that came with the audeze pads to mount them.
FP4l7yOh.jpg
@Cocopah. Any initial impressions on what kind of change they make? Have you done any other mods to compare these with?

I mentioned my concerns about the roughness to PockyG. I am considering doing a bit of sanding on my set to smooth things out a bit. The problem with hand sanding is that it will be difficult to maintain uniformity. The ones on the Audeze headphones are quite smooth.
I am sure the roughness will have some effect. I just have no idea whether it will be enough to hear any difference. Obviously, with only one set of headphones, doing any meaningful (A/B) testing to find out will be impossible.

That is why I am really looking forward to hearing thoughts on the changes they hear after installing them from people using them.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back