Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Jun 6, 2017 at 10:10 AM Post #4,368 of 8,051
Ok thank you !

By the way, you are sure about the end of production of audeze vegan pads ? ? Not only a temp out of stock ?

can't say for sure, but I doubt it. I just think Audeze are scared that noone will buy their headphones and want all this hype to cool down before they release more pads. Brown vegans can still be found, I know Audiosanctuary (based in London) had the brown vegan pads in stock last week, and they ship worldwide for 5£ or something (very fast, 3-5 days for me)... Still waiting for my Leather Audeze pads to arrive, will update in the end of the week

Jun 6, 2017 at 11:46 AM Post #4,370 of 8,051
After having just recently sold my M1060, and missing them more than I thought and losing hope of the chance of a Rev. 3 in the near future, I decided to buy them again. I'll give them a bit more time in round no.2, and see better for what purposes I can replace the X2 for it for. I'm thinking everything other than movies, certain games (Battlefield 1 and other more cinematic games) and rock music, they'll be best. I also hope that they'll be a good pairing for my newly purchased NFB 11.28 (2017).

Some guys in here recommended me the TH-X00 PH. But after looking into how much it would cost me, it was out of the question. They cost $450 by themselves on Massdrop. Then there's the "obligatory" Lawton Tune-Up, which at it's lowest price costs $199 (this includes the pads they sell you), as well as USPS Express Mail (as that's the only thing they do, according to the guy I contacted on the site) for $92. That's a whopping $742, excluding tax for the modded TH-X00, and a warranty that is probably void at that point. Not to mention that it does not have a detachable cable, which is very worrisome.

In comparison, the M1060 with Vegan pads cost just under $500, excluding tax. Still way more than it should, I know (though worth that, for its performance). But it's almost $250 less and comes with a 5 year old warranty.

I would love to get the felt question settled before I recieve the M1060 and mod it, though. For those who have done the Vegan pads with stock felt and with Vegan felt; what is your recommendation? After Tullebukk's recent comments, I'm very unsure as to what to do. With my last M1060, I modded it with Vegan pads only -- no stock felt and no paper towel. I was not happy with the lack of bass at all, and also found that the Vegan pads generally subdued every aspecs of the sound (though in terms of the loud vocals, this was a good thing).

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2017 at 12:34 PM Post #4,371 of 8,051
After having just recently sold my M1060, and missing them more than I thought and losing hope of the chance of a Rev. 3 in the near future, I decided to buy them again. I'll give them a bit more time in round no.2, and see better for what purposes I can replace the X2 for it for. I'm thinking everything other than movies, certain games (Battlefield 1 and other more cinematic games) and rock music, they'll be best. I also hope that they'll be a good pairing for my newly purchased NFB 11.28 (2017).

Some guys in here recommended me the TH-X00 PH. But after looking into how much it would cost me, it was out of the question. They cost $450 by themselves on Massdrop. Then there's the "obligatory" Lawton Tune-Up, which at it's lowest price costs $199 (this includes the pads they sell you), as well as USPS Express Mail (as that's the only thing they do, according to the guy I contacted on the site) for $92. That's a whopping $742, excluding tax for the modded TH-X00, and a warranty that is probably void at that point. Not to mention that it does not have a detachable cable, which is very worrisome.

In comparison, the M1060 with Vegan pads cost just under $500, excluding tax. Still way more than it should, I know (though worth that, for its performance). But it's almost $250 less and comes with a 5 year old warranty.

I would love to get the felt question settled before I recieve the M1060 and mod it, though. For those who have done the Vegan pads with stock felt and with Vegan felt; what is your recommendation? After Tullebukk's recent comments, I'm very unsure as to what to do. With my last M1060, I modded it with Vegan pads only -- no stock felt and no paper towel. I was not happy with the lack of bass at all, and also found that the Vegan pads generally subdued every aspecs of the sound (though in terms of the loud vocals, this was a good thing).

I'm still not convinced you will get the M1060 to a place you are happy with. As much modding as you can do, there are limits. The bass in particular is limited by the fact these are planars. Sub-bass extension is great and the punch is nice. But that is different than the bass slam you can get from a dynamic like TH-X00. This is physics at play here. I also thought the Purple Hearts got less favorable reviews compared to the standard TH-X00 or EMU Teaks? The Purple Hearts have a wonky frequency response compared to the others. Go watch Metal571's youtube review on them. I don't own the TH-X00 but I also didn't think the Lawton mod was "obligatory"? At least around the headphones subreddit and Discord channel most people seem very happy with stock, except maybe a pad change. I also see TH-X00 pop up on the used market just about every day for $300 USD. I swear I see them listed in Europe as well. I also don't think it would be crazy to convince to a US seller to ship them to you if you say you will pay the extra shipping costs.

But if you still continue with the M1060, you might be better off without vegans since the vegans warm the sound, which is what cskippy set out to do when he did these mods. But you don't like that warm sound. Maybe just try removing the stock ear pad backing and replace that with something very thin for driver protection. Doing that makes these more V-shaped, which is what it seems you are going for.

Jun 6, 2017 at 12:39 PM Post #4,372 of 8,051

Paper towel mod increases both bass (or at least the perception of bass impact) and bring up the highs when using vegan pads, so that might be something to look into (free and takes 5 minutes).

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2017 at 12:44 PM Post #4,373 of 8,051
Maybe just try removing the stock ear pad backing and replace that with something very thin for driver protection. Doing that makes these more V-shaped, which is what it seems you are going for.

I'm going to try this tonight, got some old velour pads that I would never use, so will just cut out the felt and use that instead of the stock. Reporting back in few hours :D

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2017 at 1:02 PM Post #4,374 of 8,051
IMHO: Vegans f*ck up bass impact versus Leather/Pleather, full stop. They do create cleaner more defined bass than stock imho, but they def mess with the impact. If you really want slam, I'm inclined to think a leather or alternate pleather pad would be better suited in my listening experiments. I actually quite enjoyed the cheapie HM5 angled pleathers but there are def trade offs in the tonal balance.

Jun 6, 2017 at 1:22 PM Post #4,375 of 8,051
IMHO: Vegans f*ck up bass impact versus Leather/Pleather, full stop. They do create cleaner more defined bass than stock imho, but they def mess with the impact. If you really want slam, I'm inclined to think a leather or alternate pleather pad would be better suited in my listening experiments. I actually quite enjoyed the cheapie HM5 angled pleathers but there are def trade offs in the tonal balance.

I'm getting Audeze leather pads (and possibly hm5 hybrid pads) by the end of the week, will report back :)

Jun 6, 2017 at 2:20 PM Post #4,376 of 8,051
I'm still not convinced you will get the M1060 to a place you are happy with. As much modding as you can do, there are limits. The bass in particular is limited by the fact these are planars. Sub-bass extension is great and the punch is nice. But that is different than the bass slam you can get from a dynamic like TH-X00. This is physics at play here. I also thought the Purple Hearts got less favorable reviews compared to the standard TH-X00 or EMU Teaks? The Purple Hearts have a wonky frequency response compared to the others. Go watch Metal571's youtube review on them. I don't own the TH-X00 but I also didn't think the Lawton mod was "obligatory"? At least around the headphones subreddit and Discord channel most people seem very happy with stock, except maybe a pad change. I also see TH-X00 pop up on the used market just about every day for $300 USD. I swear I see them listed in Europe as well. I also don't think it would be crazy to convince to a US seller to ship them to you if you say you will pay the extra shipping costs.

But if you still continue with the M1060, you might be better off without vegans since the vegans warm the sound, which is what cskippy set out to do when he did these mods. But you don't like that warm sound. Maybe just try removing the stock ear pad backing and replace that with something very thin for driver protection. Doing that makes these more V-shaped, which is what it seems you are going for.

If I could find the TH-X00 used for $300, I'd certainly purchase them and try them out.

As for the M1060, I might try your suggestion. Maybe stock pads with Vegan filters (which are quite thing) would work? Maybe Tullebukk could also try this?

Jun 6, 2017 at 2:38 PM Post #4,377 of 8,051
I'm going to try this tonight, got some old velour pads that I would never use, so will just cut out the felt and use that instead of the stock. Reporting back in few hours :D

Update: Took out the foam, and replaced with thinner foam. Still some ringing, but seems a lot less. Then, folded a piece of toilet paper to size, and cut in half (effectivly 2-ply toilet paper folded once, so 4 layers of toilet paper), place it between ear and driver, and it sounds a lot better. 8 layers was too much, 4 seems better. Someone else try this on vegans and other pads as well, might be just me, but I think bass is thicker too now.

So much fun you can do for free, and changes soo much :D

Jun 6, 2017 at 5:03 PM Post #4,378 of 8,051
If I could find the TH-X00 used for $300, I'd certainly purchase them and try them out.

As for the M1060, I might try your suggestion. Maybe stock pads with Vegan filters (which are quite thing) would work? Maybe Tullebukk could also try this?

Between Head-fi classifieds, /r/AVexchange, headphones discord, ebay, etc. you will see these pop up all the time. Hell, there's even a Fostex TH-600 located in Europe for 350 Euro right now on the head-fi for sale forum that has been listed since November.

@Tullebukk - Interesting changes, good to know there is a lot you can adjust on the driver side to affect the bass.

Jun 6, 2017 at 6:20 PM Post #4,379 of 8,051

Like the Denon AH-D2000, the stock TH-X00 has slightly boomy bass and a conjested sound quality. While not bad sounding, it can be improved quite a bit. Lawton Tune-up Kit (driver dampening only!) + change of pads with custom attenuators changes them into having detail, clarity, and instrument separation level near that of a top end open phone while that biodyna driver bass quality is further enhanced to dig a little deeper and hit a little harder. Quite a remarkable sound quality in a 'closed' headphone. Once going Lawton Tune-up Kit, going back to a normal stock TH-X00 sounds extremely muddy and incoherant.

The M1060 can pump out stupid-insane, near TH-X00 PH level bass with the Audeze pads, you just need a rig with LOTS of power. While not matching the TH-X00 PH, they aren't far off on the right rig. Something like this would work:

i-jg7hwzG.jpg

For the M1060 I'm thinking of trying the Emotiva A-100 BasX amp and testing it (carefully) with the resistor bypass jumpers in direct drive mode (8.5W @ 47ohm), but have heard the amp doesn't pair well with the TH-X00's or SHP9500's. Would be nice to be able to use all of my headphones on it, not just only one. But it would also be for a desktop stereo speaker setup. That amp is a pretty great bargain at $230.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2017 at 7:02 PM Post #4,380 of 8,051
Update: Took out the foam, and replaced with thinner foam. Still some ringing, but seems a lot less. Then, folded a piece of toilet paper to size, and cut in half (effectivly 2-ply toilet paper folded once, so 4 layers of toilet paper), place it between ear and driver, and it sounds a lot better. 8 layers was too much, 4 seems better. Someone else try this on vegans and other pads as well, might be just me, but I think bass is thicker too now.

So much fun you can do for free, and changes soo much :D

I would love to try that, when I receive my headphones. Since we're both Norwegians, what toilet roll are you using (both on front, now, and behind)?

Also, do you think one could use the paper permanently, without the danger of any dust or pieces of the toilet paper falling into the driver?

Between Head-fi classifieds, /r/AVexchange, headphones discord, ebay, etc. you will see these pop up all the time. Hell, there's even a Fostex TH-600 located in Europe for 350 Euro right now on the head-fi for sale forum that has been listed since November.

@Tullebukk - Interesting changes, good to know there is a lot you can adjust on the driver side to affect the bass.

I don't know anything about the TH-600. Only the TH-X00, that I was recommended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back