Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
May 18, 2017 at 5:31 PM Post #3,994 of 8,051
It will work just fine - just not balanced her LC's original request. It should work as a standard cable replacement.

Thanks ... I DID notice afterwards that they look like TRS, and not single, like the 1060 cable. I'm not a big cable guy, as you can tell. I just hate the right angle connector and wanted a bit longer as well ... and felt like wasting some more $ :)

May 18, 2017 at 6:12 PM Post #3,995 of 8,051
Thank you! This makes things simpler. The flat pads being even cheaper is a bonus.

Edit: Just ordered the round velour pads from the Brainwavz website. It was just 33 CAD ($24.50 USD) for the pair, only a fraction of the cost of the vegans. Can't wait to get them!

Looking at the specs of the round ones, I doubt they will fit. Seems like they are ment for Hifiman-sized headphones, but then again, I managed to stretch the oval pads to size so who knows :p
I've tried both the flat and the angled HM5 velours, and they both have their cons and pros. Started out with the flat, then swapped to angled, and now I'm back to the flat ones. There is something special about the flat pads I can't describe, since my ears are closer to the drivers I feel more "connected" to the music, and everything sounds more "earthy"? Don't know how to describe it, but the flat pads are certainly an upgrade for me from the stock ones, and at a much lower cost to the Audeze vegan pads.

aaand I'm back to the angled HM5's. They are the better allrounder, while the flat pads are soo good for intimite stuff, like one or two instruments and a singer. Soundstage gets a bit smaller, so everything is more precise. Bass also gets deeper with more padding between the driver and the ear it seems.

Last edited:
May 18, 2017 at 6:39 PM Post #3,996 of 8,051
Just got V2. Ordered balanced cable. Any opinions on the various mods discussed being used on V2 vs V1?

@ill-die-later: apologizing in advance if this has already been covered, although my (in)exhaustive didn't turn anything up. :ksc75smile:

May 18, 2017 at 6:49 PM Post #3,997 of 8,051
has anyone tried flat
Looking at the specs of the round ones, I doubt they will fit. Seems like they are ment for Hifiman-sized headphones, but then again, I managed to stretch the oval pads to size so who knows :p

aaand I'm back to the angled HM5's. They are the better allrounder, while the flat pads are soo good for intimite stuff, like one or two instruments and a singer. Soundstage gets a bit smaller, so everything is more precise. Bass also gets deeper with more padding between the driver and the ear it seems.

is the comfort better with the HM5's? i like the stock pads but for some reason i feel the thin part really stiff against my temples

May 18, 2017 at 7:46 PM Post #3,998 of 8,051
The T50RPs definitely sound better to me with flat pads, so it will be interesting to see how these all shake out. I haven't tried any alternatives yet because if another set sounds better, but doesn't feel as nice as these do, I will be thoroughly in a pickle. :wink: I generally prefer fabric pads, but last time I tried velour I ended up returning them because they made me itch for some reason.

I also need really large pads, because my ears are kinda big. To put some perspective on it, the top of my ears touch the top of the inside of a roll of duck tape, while my lobes touch the bottom... so ideally I'd like a pad that is large enough on the inside that they wouldn't touch while being far enough that they don't touch the driver...

Fun times. Genetics FTW

May 18, 2017 at 8:30 PM Post #4,000 of 8,051
A little aside - started a thread on some Monoprice Monolith RCA cables. Got these to see if I could improve the bass and reduce the fatiguing brightness of my M1060 and other headphones with my setup. TL;DR - These cable did the trick, and according to my ears, Monoprice has another quality, affordable Monolith product here:

https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/monoprice-monolith-rca-cables.850326/

May 18, 2017 at 9:28 PM Post #4,001 of 8,051
Well at least you appologized , makes my a*s muscles hurt a little less. Thanks

That's because my tongue was firmly planted in ................................ my cheek :gs1000smile:

But seriously, I've read many pages of this thread, and can't find the answer to my question regarding effectiveness of various mods w/ v2 versus v1, on which most of the modders seem to be working.

BTW, I did just get these today, but I'm very happy so far.

May 18, 2017 at 9:45 PM Post #4,002 of 8,051
As far as I know, there aren't any sonic changes between V1 and V2 M1060. V2 addresses the cable connector, the strap adjustment, and wood.

May 18, 2017 at 10:11 PM Post #4,003 of 8,051
Thanks to an RMA, I had both the v1 and v2 1060's for a few days and got to compare them. Mostly wanted to make sure that my v2 replacement pair sounded the same and had no other issues (I had a bad left connector on my v1's). So, after a lot of alternating between them, I was comfortable sending the v1's back, as I could hear no appreciable difference between them in stock form.

May 18, 2017 at 11:03 PM Post #4,004 of 8,051
Thanks to an RMA, I had both the v1 and v2 1060's for a few days and got to compare them. Mostly wanted to make sure that my v2 replacement pair sounded the same and had no other issues (I had a bad left connector on my v1's). So, after a lot of alternating between them, I was comfortable sending the v1's back, as I could hear no appreciable difference between them in stock form.
As far as I know, there aren't any sonic changes between V1 and V2 M1060. V2 addresses the cable connector, the strap adjustment, and wood.
Thanks for responses!

May 18, 2017 at 11:22 PM Post #4,005 of 8,051
Anyone done any notable mods to the smaller 560 at all lately, thread has grown quite a bit since I last searched through.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back