Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
May 16, 2017 at 7:56 AM Post #3,932 of 8,051
Ah you're right, I had planned to get a pair as I saw a comment here where someone got those pads to work with a ton of stretching. May just get the normal velours, decisions decisions

I've tried both the flat and the angled HM5 velours, and they both have their cons and pros. Started out with the flat, then swapped to angled, and now I'm back to the flat ones. There is something special about the flat pads I can't describe, since my ears are closer to the drivers I feel more "connected" to the music, and everything sounds more "earthy"? Don't know how to describe it, but the flat pads are certainly an upgrade for me from the stock ones, and at a much lower cost to the Audeze vegan pads.

May 16, 2017 at 8:42 AM Post #3,933 of 8,051
I've tried both the flat and the angled HM5 velours, and they both have their cons and pros. Started out with the flat, then swapped to angled, and now I'm back to the flat ones. There is something special about the flat pads I can't describe, since my ears are closer to the drivers I feel more "connected" to the music, and everything sounds more "earthy"? Don't know how to describe it, but the flat pads are certainly an upgrade for me from the stock ones, and at a much lower cost to the Audeze vegan pads.

Thanks for the impression. Since vegan pads are sold out everywhere, I might try HM5 velour myself. Any thoughts HM5 velour compared to vegan?

May 16, 2017 at 11:11 AM Post #3,936 of 8,051
I know they are flat, but has anyone tried the brainwavz round velour pads?

I went on a futile hunt for vegans last week at some small shops in manhattan. Each time being told someone had just purchased the last pair that day. Only to then have my soundapproach order cancelled.

May 16, 2017 at 11:12 AM Post #3,937 of 8,051
Thank you! This makes things simpler. The flat pads being even cheaper is a bonus.

Edit: Just ordered the round velour pads from the Brainwavz website. It was just 33 CAD ($24.50 USD) for the pair, only a fraction of the cost of the vegans. Can't wait to get them!

Last edited:
May 16, 2017 at 12:08 PM Post #3,938 of 8,051
Thank you! This makes things simpler. The flat pads being even cheaper is a bonus.

Edit: Just ordered the round velour pads from the Brainwavz website. It was just 33 CAD ($24.50 USD) for the pair, only a fraction of the cost of the vegans. Can't wait to get them!

Please post impression after you tried it out. The stock pads are so comfortable that makes me hesitate to swap.

May 16, 2017 at 12:08 PM Post #3,939 of 8,051
I put a set of velour pads on a Superlux set one time and it killed the bass. Been apprehensive about velours ever since. Hopefully this isn't the case with the Vegans or Brainwavz. Just got an email from Soundapproach about the brown Vegans. Apparently, they are going to be able to fulfill all the orders but it's going to take another 2-3 days.

May 16, 2017 at 2:47 PM Post #3,940 of 8,051
May 16, 2017 at 4:10 PM Post #3,941 of 8,051
I put a set of velour pads on a Superlux set one time and it killed the bass. Been apprehensive about velours ever since. Hopefully this isn't the case with the Vegans or Brainwavz. Just got an email from Soundapproach about the brown Vegans. Apparently, they are going to be able to fulfill all the orders but it's going to take another 2-3 days.

My understanding is that the Audeze Leather free pads improve the bass of the M1060. I don't know that the Brainwavz improve the bass, just one report that one guys prefers the flat Brainwavz.

If I'm not mistaken there have been several pads measured and non seem to measure better then the Adueze, so for now I'm holding out to see if B&H can fulfill my order.

May 16, 2017 at 4:27 PM Post #3,942 of 8,051
Ok, so it seems this has become mainly a M1060 thread, but I'd like to hear from those who have or have tried the M560. Your thoughts?

I'm sending my pair back today. I honestly did not enjoy them. I tried to give it some time, but after 25 days I still don't like them for the following reasons:

- bass light.
- Vocals are "in your face" and can get harsh. Shouty.
- turn up the volume and you can get decent bass, but them the vocals kill me.
- They don't feel secure on my head.
- pads opening is a tab small and a tad to snug around the ear.

This is only the second pair of headphones I've disliked enough to return. I almost kept them for review purposes, but I just couldn't. Rather put that money into something i can somewhat enjoy.

Maybe mine where an anomaly, but I would not recommend them. They where definitely not "giant killers".

May 16, 2017 at 4:31 PM Post #3,943 of 8,051
Thanks for not helping and the smart ass reply, you add so much value to this community.
Quite the sensitive one, and yes laziness should be called out on, I would like to think I'm adding by helping others not waste their time. Plus I did help you, I told you to go watch some videos that answer your question, so you wouldn't have to wait for someone to dig up the info for you (and waist their time.)

Sorry to offend you.

.............Not really

May 16, 2017 at 6:11 PM Post #3,945 of 8,051
It's hard when you frequent this thread a lot. I see dozens of the same questions asked, a lot of them answered just a page before. Granted, the new site change makes it hard (impossible) to search for things, but it can be done. Google is your friend.

I usually just let questions slide, as I find that person, if not helped, will usually come back with the answer to their own question sometimes sharing excellent outside source material which helps others as well.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back