Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
May 14, 2017 at 2:41 PM Post #3,901 of 8,051
I finally applied the Vegan and napkin mod, had to use the bundled adhesive rings for the Vegans since there was so little residue left from the stock pads.
It didn't look like my rev2's had recieved much treatment to the inner part of the wooden cups, if any.

After modding there's still something bothering me a bit about the highs, listening to some songs they have a kind of "hollow"/"nasal" feeling to them, for example in aucoustic female songs like Aurora - Life on Mars.
For relaxed electronic music with sub bass like Trentemöller - Moan and Kuedo - Under the Surface, they sound great! Certainly more engaging bass than the HD650, while maintaining better detail and representation across the frequency spectrum than my X2's.

May 14, 2017 at 4:26 PM Post #3,902 of 8,051
The M1060's are great for gaming, I have been using them with a mixamp with my Xbox one and the positioning is spot on.

My favourite music cans are also my favourite gaming can's now, beating out the X2's and the MDR-MA900's. These two are no slouches when it comes to gaming but the 1060's are just better.

May 14, 2017 at 8:08 PM Post #3,903 of 8,051
http://deals.headphonesnao.com/sunday-monoprice-m1060-for-255-with-coupon/

"The Sunday coupon MOTHERS15 also works on *surprise-surprise* the buzz-generating new (and revised based on various new user reports) Monoprice M1060 planar magnetic over ears. The price before the coupon is $300. The coupon drops 15% off, making it $255.

I just tested the coupon on both this and the previously posted M560. It is the first time I’ve seen a coupon work on the M1060!"

I just tried that coupon but it says it doesn't apply.

May 14, 2017 at 9:16 PM Post #3,907 of 8,051
May 14, 2017 at 9:47 PM Post #3,908 of 8,051
May 14, 2017 at 10:07 PM Post #3,909 of 8,051
I'm not sure if it's in my head or not, but they seem to have lost a tiny amount of soundstage but gained a much better frequency response after the paper towel mod. I am almost certainly going to leave them this way. They sound so great!

Still blown away by the sound. Lovin' these headphones!

It is very versatile, before I only listen to EDM and electronics with the Takstar Pro-80, now I am listening to all sorts of genres and discovering new world. The bass is up to par with mods.

May 14, 2017 at 10:27 PM Post #3,911 of 8,051
I don't get this removable pad issue. The way the headphone is designed it has two metal plates with slots for the driver which make the surface on either side flush. The only way to attach pads is adhesive of some sort. Magnets will mess with the driver magnets and slots could adversely affect performance as well. Just rip the stock pads off and put an alternate on if that floats your fancy, otherwise just enjoy them.

May 14, 2017 at 10:32 PM Post #3,912 of 8,051
Seem to be all gone. Attention Monoprice Headphone representatives. Bring on revision 3. Removable pads and black paper towel mod please. Maybe metal cups sans he 400. Other suggestions?

I don't think that is going to happen until they clear their rev.2 inventory.

May 14, 2017 at 11:22 PM Post #3,914 of 8,051
I don't get this removable pad issue. The way the headphone is designed it has two metal plates with slots for the driver which make the surface on either side flush. The only way to attach pads is adhesive of some sort. Magnets will mess with the driver magnets and slots could adversely affect performance as well. Just rip the stock pads off and put an alternate on if that floats your fancy, otherwise just enjoy them.

+1 to this, Audeze knew what it was doing using an adhesive ring to give such a good seal to their pads. I literally didn't even use the rings on my Hifiman cans in the past because they just sound better with an adhesive seal.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back