Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
May 5, 2017 at 6:23 PM Post #3,646 of 8,051
If anyone is interested in a cheaper alternative to the Audeze Vegans, the HM5 velour (not angled, have those as well, can try them too) WILL FIT if you cut off the pleather lip and stretch them to size (you really have to pull a lot). Sound is sooo much warmer (darker if you don't like that kind of signature), a lot more midbass and a lot less harsh treble (which I enjoy). Just saved myself 100$+, which is fantastic, given that I already had to pay 150$+ for shipping and taxes. http://imgur.com/a/WXULX

Try adding some additional damping material(Paper Towel/napkin/toilet pape)r on the rear side of drive alongside the foam to bring the highs back up a bit. I'm torn on if i want to order the Velour or the Hybrid to measure/try.

May 5, 2017 at 6:26 PM Post #3,647 of 8,051

I think I improved it. I took a piece of thin acoustic felt from the mayflower modding kit for t50. I spent an exceedingly long time reducing the adhesive back. Sticking it to and unsticking it from a sheet of card stock until very little remained. And placed it over the driver under the foam. For me, so far, this brings back a lot of the body and highs lost by the paper towel. Thoughts?​

Is this in addition to the paper towel or instead of the paper towel?

May 5, 2017 at 7:26 PM Post #3,648 of 8,051
Try adding some additional damping material(Paper Towel/napkin/toilet pape)r on the rear side of drive alongside the foam to bring the highs back up a bit. I'm torn on if i want to order the Velour or the Hybrid to measure/try.

I did, but didn't like how harsh it became (I'm very sensitive to treble). Warm icecream is my cup of tea, so warm icecream it is :)

May 5, 2017 at 7:36 PM Post #3,649 of 8,051
Hey there. I am considering pulling the trigger on these, as I love my Fostex Mk3s but I would like something more comfortable for my large ears, as well as something with a bit more air. I prefer a brighter, airy, detailed sound (I listen to a lot of Jazz) but also good bass is important (which these M1060s appear to do better than the Fostex based on measurements I have seen).

Are these a good choice for me? Which mods would I prefer?

What is the effect of just removing the outer felt under the outside grill, like the one video review I saw?

Thanks!

Are your MK3s stock? Stock ear pads?

I find the MK3 to be fairly bright in stock form. With replacement ear pads the MK3 highs are tamed considerably and FAR more comfortable. The M1060 is brighter than my modded T50RP MK3, but don't think they are as bright as the unmodded MK3s, but it been a while since I've heard them stock.

I think you enjoy the M1060, possibly with the stock pads in your case.

May 5, 2017 at 7:50 PM Post #3,650 of 8,051
any suggestions on fixing the squeaking when the cups move? It doesn't happen when I'm wearing them but it's still annoying

May 5, 2017 at 8:12 PM Post #3,651 of 8,051
any suggestions on fixing the squeaking when the cups move? It doesn't happen when I'm wearing them but it's still annoying
I'm thinking about putting some small thrust bearings in there. Something like this, (not sure about the size yet)https://www.amazon.com/Blade-3x8x3-...id=1494029385&sr=8-17&keywords=thrust+bearing.
It would also require using a longer screw. That would eliminate all resistance and noise when the yoke swivels. I need to make some measurements but once you get the right bearings and screw it would only require a screwdriver and be easily reversible.

May 5, 2017 at 8:49 PM Post #3,653 of 8,051

I find the MK3 to be fairly bright in stock form. With replacement ear pads the MK3 highs are tamed considerably and FAR more comfortable. The M1060 is brighter than my modded T50RP MK3, but don't think they are as bright as the unmodded MK3s, but it been a while since I've heard them stock.

Actually I have modded my mk3s to be brighter than stock. I am using cosmo fabric pads with felt in front of the driver, and opened the port in the back to balance the highs out somewhat. I also have torn one of the felt layers off of my Pio SE1000s to brighten them up as well. I try my best to target as flat of a response as possible, which is typically much brighter than most headphones.

I heard a high end pair of Grados and liked how they sounded, but I also really like the detail available from planars. My main sound systems all use ESS AMT speakers/tweeters, so I have come to love an airy and detailed sound.

I hope that helps!

May 5, 2017 at 9:23 PM Post #3,654 of 8,051
Actually I have modded my mk3s to be brighter than stock. I am using cosmo fabric pads with felt in front of the driver, and opened the port in the back to balance the highs out somewhat. I also have torn one of the felt layers off of my Pio SE1000s to brighten them up as well. I try my best to target as flat of a response as possible, which is typically much brighter than most headphones.

I heard a high end pair of Grados and liked how they sounded, but I also really like the detail available from planars. My main sound systems all use ESS AMT speakers/tweeters, so I have come to love an airy and detailed sound.

I hope that helps!

Oh man! You like bright!!!!...

You may need to loo at some of those headphones some people say are too bright. Something the Beyerdynamic T1 1st gen maybe a Fostex TH-900...

Can't really say, Stock T50RP are too bright for me.

I think the stock pads (Audeze pads have yet to arrive) + paper towel mod made the M1060 a bit brighter, but i think they might still not be bright enough for you.

Last edited:
May 5, 2017 at 10:19 PM Post #3,655 of 8,051
Oh man! You like bright!!!!...

You may need to loo at some of those headphones some people say are too bright. Something the Beyerdynamic T1 1st gen maybe a Fostex TH-900...

Can't really say, Stock T50RP are too bright for me.

I think the stock pads (Audeze pads have yet to arrive) + paper towel mod made the M1060 a bit brighter, but i think they might still not be bright enough for you.

I just like a sound that is as close to my home theater system as possible. That can't be so bad! :wink:

Don't think I don't like good bass - I do, and I do have a limit on how bright I can handle it, as I did leave the pad felt in place (for example). But I just want to hear the air around each instrument, the grit of the guitar, etc.

I am more than happy to mod to get what I want, I'm just not as experienced as some here are. :)

May 5, 2017 at 10:31 PM Post #3,656 of 8,051
I just like a sound that is as close to my home theater system as possible. That can't be so bad! :wink:

Don't think I don't like good bass - I do, and I do have a limit on how bright I can handle it, as I did leave the pad felt in place (for example). But I just want to hear the air around each instrument, the grit of the guitar, etc.

I am more than happy to mod to get what I want, I'm just not as experienced as some here are. :)

I have both headphones. I've modded my T50RPs to be a little warmer to the point that they sound a lot closer to the modded M1060. The M1060 is a bit warmer than the T50RP. They would compliment each other if you keep your T50RP bright.

May 5, 2017 at 10:50 PM Post #3,657 of 8,051

I have both headphones. I've modded my T50RPs to be a little warmer to the point that they sound a lot closer to the modded M1060. The M1060 is a bit warmer than the T50RP. They would compliment each other if you keep your T50RP bright.

Would you say the M1060 has a large soundstage or is more airy then the T50RP? Would the M1060 be an upgrade over a modded (felt pad + filled baffles + shure pads) T50RP?

May 5, 2017 at 11:29 PM Post #3,658 of 8,051
Would you say the M1060 has a large soundstage or is more airy then the T50RP? Would the M1060 be an upgrade over a modded (felt pad + filled baffles + shure pads) T50RP?

Soundstage is hard for me. I don't think the M1060 has a huge soundstage, but it not small either. It's probably a wider than the T50RP.

If you referring to felt on the driver of you T50RP, I removed the felt completely as it seemed to kill the bass.I also taped off some of the vents in my T50RP so they have a good amount of bass and extend deeper than standard. So I'm going to assume mine are considerably bassier than yours.

The M1060 with stock pads (all I have at the moment) and PT mod are brighter than my modded T50RP, the added sparkle is nice but it does fatigue me after a while. I was just listening to Spotify as I was on the computer and found myself lower the volume more and more as time went on. The Audeze pads may change this adding some warmth that I would welcome.

If my assumption about you bass being leaner than mine you will likely enjoy the bass of the M1060. Either way I do think it would be a worthy investment, as it provides a different sound... a good different sound. But everones taste is different, so if you could manage to listen to them first that would be ideal. Though not always an option.

Last edited:
May 5, 2017 at 11:47 PM Post #3,659 of 8,051
If anyone is interested in a cheaper alternative to the Audeze Vegans, the HM5 velour (not angled, have those as well, can try them too) WILL FIT if you cut off the pleather lip and stretch them to size (you really have to pull a lot). Sound is sooo much warmer (darker if you don't like that kind of signature), a lot more midbass and a lot less harsh treble (which I enjoy). Just saved myself 100$+, which is fantastic, given that I already had to pay 150$+ for shipping and taxes. http://imgur.com/a/WXULX

Holy F that looks lit, could you describe the exact process that you did to fit these? i find hard to believe that the oval shape of the HM5 looks so round on yours, also, how would you describe the confort? better, worse?

May 6, 2017 at 12:05 AM Post #3,660 of 8,051
Using acrylic felt now, pretty stiff but fairly transparent and great thing about it, no fluff. Sound is better than with the orange towel, more highs and stage is a bit wider, too. Paid $1.80 for a piece that could mod 30 pairs of M1060s, hahaha! Give it a try, must be better and safer than paper towels for sure. The foam stays on top of course as I don't want any silly reflections behind the cup.
20170506_115337_HDR.jpg 20170506_130009_HDR.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back