Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
May 5, 2017 at 9:42 AM Post #3,631 of 8,051
@Terja Pretty much any restrictive/reflective damping on the back wave of the driver is going to lower the stocks mid-range bloat and raise the highs, what you use will effect how much and to a lessor degree which frequency range. Glad you are enjoying it, I cannot personally keep the stock pads as the 4-5k spike really really aggravates my ears for some reason.

May 5, 2017 at 9:44 AM Post #3,632 of 8,051
That's it under the wires. It's even shown in their exploded diagram. A little rectangle of acoustic something.
Audeze_LCD2LCD3_Photo_inside.jpg

The earliest LCD3 used Felt Square+Felt Disc, mid LCD3 before the fazor used felt Square+Foam disc. I have been using felt in a lot of my experiments with damping.

May 5, 2017 at 9:49 AM Post #3,633 of 8,051
The original 'travel case' ain't a case. It's a vault. Put it in your luggage and you will have zero room for any other stuff to bring along.

From what I've seen, you probably could use that case as luggage lol:k701smile:.

May 5, 2017 at 9:53 AM Post #3,634 of 8,051
not bad news at all ,, some of the best high end headphones have small sound stage (Utopia , LCD3)
anyway the imaging is more focused and accurate which will compensate for the smaller sound stage.
btw the deference is not night and day ,, but it is noticeable.
+1

I can't stand most headphone staging, being a recording/mixing/mastering engineer by trade. I'm so used to near/mid field 60 degree equilateral triangle for optimal stage depth in recordings. I find that sounds emanating past my ears is confusing and unrealistic, but to each their own.

May 5, 2017 at 11:24 AM Post #3,636 of 8,051
Just when I thought I might have something particularly useful, esp. for a N00B, to add to this thread... OOS!

https://www.amazon.com/Black-Paper-Towels-Pack-Renova/dp/B000VIIUOY/

I've been looking for black paper towels too. I've seen black napkins, but I figure they'll change the sound. They do have this black toilet paper from Renova available:

https://www.amazon.com/Renova-Colour-Toilet-Bathroom-Tissue/dp/B00I7P9PBA

I wonder if that would be a decent substitution

May 5, 2017 at 11:41 AM Post #3,637 of 8,051
I've been looking for black paper towels too. I've seen black napkins, but I figure they'll change the sound. They do have this black toilet paper from Renova available:

https://www.amazon.com/Renova-Colour-Toilet-Bathroom-Tissue/dp/B00I7P9PBA

I wonder if that would be a decent substitution

"...and once you've experienced the quilted triple ply sheets of goodness you'll never want to go back..."

DAMN, that line alone almost has me sold. Certainly seems it'd be better than the cocktail napkin someone else here had tried. Perhaps some brave modder here could pick some up and then send out 6-sheet "care packages" for a few bucks each...

May 5, 2017 at 1:43 PM Post #3,638 of 8,051
Well I did it...

I'm OCD and couldn't imagine having headphones with white paper towels visible in the grilles, but I just used cskippy's Bounty paper towel modification on my M1060s and I have to admit they absolutely sound even better.

If someone finds a nice black fabric that works as well or better please let me know though :)

May 5, 2017 at 2:07 PM Post #3,639 of 8,051
97C06AFC-35A0-429F-B4C1-033697B09780.JPG

I think I improved it. I took a piece of thin acoustic felt from the mayflower modding kit for t50. I spent an exceedingly long time reducing the adhesive back. Sticking it to and unsticking it from a sheet of card stock until very little remained. And placed it over the driver under the foam. For me, so far, this brings back a lot of the body and highs lost by the paper towel. Thoughts?​

Last edited:
May 5, 2017 at 2:28 PM Post #3,640 of 8,051

I used some of orange heavy duty wiper pieces under the foam. The sound has indeed more body but sound stage might be a bit reduced and still not sure on the highs, are they further rolled or not. This headphone is fun to mod for sure :)

78d147f5-9707-476a-b81a-e04bad854ccf.jpg
BxPdA79.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Multipurpose-Non-woven-Nonstick-Kitchen-Dishcloth/dp/B00XMMSW62?th=1

Couldn't find any quality acoustic cloth or felt around, so I used some of these non-woven cleaning cloth under the foam and removed the paper towel just for experiment. The result is somewhat similar to your descriptions and works for me so far. It's indeed fun to try with different materials.

Last edited:
May 5, 2017 at 2:45 PM Post #3,641 of 8,051
BxPdA79.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Multipurpose-Non-woven-Nonstick-Kitchen-Dishcloth/dp/B00XMMSW62?th=1

Couldn't find any quality acoustic cloth or felt around, so I used some of these non-woven cleaning cloth under the foam and removed the paper towel just for experiment. The result is somewhat similar to your descriptions and works for me so far. It's indeed fun to try with different materials.
They are surprisingly easy to modify and very responsive. I guess it should be expected when you dangle a massive open driver in front of your ears. Now I either need small neodymium magnets in the screw holes to quick swap the grill for easy back and forth or a testing rig.

May 5, 2017 at 2:58 PM Post #3,642 of 8,051
That's not only huge but it is also flimsy and doesn't protect the headphone at all. Ideally I'd find a reasonably rigid one one to fit the headphone flat.

Yeah, something more rigid would be better, but I think it offers good enough protection. I'm not planning on throwing it out the window of a moving vehicle or sitting on it.

I really wish is was a bit more compact though.

If you're not a believer in burn-in......you will be. Do NOT be hasty to judge these cans.

Nah, like I siad I think "burn-in" play a role, just not the only role and not as much as people think. Yeah they do sound better on second listen, which was about 15 minutes later. Plenty of headphones sounded better upon second listen without burn-in. The brain sometimes need a little time to adjust. I believe both play a role, though I suspect "brain burn-in" play a bigger role than some realize.

The original 'travel case' ain't a case. It's a vault. Put it in your luggage and you will have zero room for any other stuff to bring along.

Yeah, I wish they would of slimmed it down a bit. BUT it's still more practical than the nice box the HE-400i/HE-500 come in. People love those because they are nice, but they are not very practical for travel. So, I'll gove Monoprice some credit.

The case my Argons came with work pretty well if you adjust the cups a certain way.

case M1060_a.jpg case M1060_b.jpg case M1060_c.jpg case M1060_d.jpg case M1060_e.jpg

This looks it might be the same case:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CJF01Z...olid=1QJ6QEE6XM0GL&coliid=I1K2HP899Q83NO&th=1

Last edited:
May 5, 2017 at 5:36 PM Post #3,643 of 8,051
If anyone is interested in a cheaper alternative to the Audeze Vegans, the HM5 velour (not angled, have those as well, can try them too) WILL FIT if you cut off the pleather lip and stretch them to size (you really have to pull a lot). Sound is sooo much warmer (darker if you don't like that kind of signature), a lot more midbass and a lot less harsh treble (which I enjoy). Just saved myself 100$+, which is fantastic, given that I already had to pay 150$+ for shipping and taxes. http://imgur.com/a/WXULX

May 5, 2017 at 6:17 PM Post #3,644 of 8,051
Hey there. I am considering pulling the trigger on these, as I love my Fostex Mk3s but I would like something more comfortable for my large ears, as well as something with a bit more air. I prefer a brighter, airy, detailed sound (I listen to a lot of Jazz) but also good bass is important (which these M1060s appear to do better than the Fostex based on measurements I have seen).

Are these a good choice for me? Which mods would I prefer?

What is the effect of just removing the outer felt under the outside grill, like the one video review I saw?

Thanks!

May 5, 2017 at 6:20 PM Post #3,645 of 8,051
You will probably enjoy the stock sound, maybe add a 3 inch paper towel behind the driver if you want a little more bass weight and treble.

Don't bother removing the outer felt, it just doesn't make sense creating a cavity for errant reflections from the grill. The paper towel is a controlled back reflection that also adds some damping to offset the rise in treble. Measurements also show the removal of foam and or grill to yield worse results than stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back