Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
May 4, 2017 at 6:17 AM Post #3,571 of 8,051
I ordered a 6ft cable from Impact Audio on Etsy. Price is pretty good and the cable looks great, although I haven't received it yet.

May 4, 2017 at 6:25 AM Post #3,573 of 8,051
I ordered a 6ft cable from Impact Audio on Etsy. Price is pretty good and the cable looks great, although I haven't received it yet.
Yep, I have an 8ft (V1 MMCX to 4-pin XLR) cable in the works from Lindsay as well :) Should have it in about a week now.

May 4, 2017 at 10:21 AM Post #3,574 of 8,051
I am a broke audiophile. Maybe just an audio junkie? The labels don't matter. The experience of leaning back on my couch listening to music I've enjoyed for years, now, in these headphones is giving me chills. It's like hearing it for the first time... for $470. Yes. Yes, more please. I can't get enough. I don't have $$$$ to throw down on Audeze headphones and, yeah, technically these are the second planar headphones I have experienced. I don't even have the vegan pads on these and they are entirely worth it to me.

This to me is like a tastefully modified mid-$50k car pulling up to a $120k car at the track and loosing by a half a second. Yeah he or she lost but paid half the money and still ran an 11 second quarter mile. I'll take that and the extra $60k any day with my current financial situation.

This spoke to me... esp. the car, because while I'm riding a Ducati bought from an old friend with a McLaren P1, I'll be more than happy with my modded IS-F and $1.1M in change, along with the occassional ride in the P1 of course!

In any case, I'm into my M1060's one day and have a very similar mentality as you. I'm pairing it with a Dragonfly Red for portability, simplicity, and cost. It gets the job done, but I know there's not much headroom there and wonder what a desktop DAC/Amp would gain me.

Then, I looked down at your signature and noticed you're using a Focusrite Scarlett as your main DAC/Amp. EUREKA! I have a 18i8 I use for recording our band - does it really double as a hi-fi DAC/Amp rig? Thanks!

May 4, 2017 at 10:52 AM Post #3,577 of 8,051
This spoke to me... esp. the car, because while I'm riding a Ducati bought from an old friend with a McLaren P1, I'll be more than happy with my modded IS-F and $1.1M in change, along with the occasional ride in the P1 of course!

In any case, I'm into my M1060's one day and have a very similar mentality as you. I'm pairing it with a Dragonfly Red for portability, simplicity, and cost. It gets the job done, but I know there's not much headroom there and wonder what a desktop DAC/Amp would gain me.

Then, I looked down at your signature and noticed you're using a Focusrite Scarlett as your main DAC/Amp. EUREKA! I have a 18i8 I use for recording our band - does it really double as a hi-fi DAC/Amp rig? Thanks!

Hahaha! Oh man, it's almost embarrassing how frugal I am. There's guys on here with Schiit stacks and all sorts of fantastic solutions for driving headphones. The XDuo is literally on my front porch right now. Thank you Massdrop. Can't wait to try that. If the iFi Micro iDSD Black Label comes down to $300 again I'd go there for these M1060's.

Yes your 18i8 will drive these headphones. Yes, I think it'll be better than your MacBook Pro's output. I needed the Focusrite for the mic hookups and it served a dual purpose. Perfect for me. A crime to most here I'm sure.

I am grateful enough to own a pair of headphones where the DAC/AMP/Source matters. That means I'll need to step up my game in other areas. In due time. For today, this works! My Pioneer home theater receiver is also used with these often.

P.S. I'm next in line to take the P1 for a spin! =D

May 4, 2017 at 11:16 AM Post #3,579 of 8,051
So I am looking for a headphone in or around $300 and so far I am looking at 1) HiFiMAN HE400S new for $300. 2)Monolith m1060 also for $300. 3)HiFiMan HE400i factory refurbished for $230.
Any suggestions? Even other headphones around this price range?

May 4, 2017 at 11:35 AM Post #3,581 of 8,051
Hey buddy! Just go for the Audeze pads and paper towel, you can thank me later...

Interested to know about this as well.
I would have added some context to your quote since I had no clue what you were referring to. Anyways, not sure if you saw this image but here are those pads. I didn't take a listen but you can see that compared to stock they would be bass light and might have too strong of a treble with a peak at 8kHz. Like a worse Hifiman basically...
9933030_l.png

Last edited:
May 4, 2017 at 11:40 AM Post #3,582 of 8,051
Hahaha! Oh man, it's almost embarrassing how frugal I am. There's guys on here with Schiit stacks and all sorts of fantastic solutions for driving headphones. The XDuo is literally on my front porch right now. Thank you Massdrop. Can't wait to try that. If the iFi Micro iDSD Black Label comes down to $300 again I'd go there for these M1060's.

Yes your 18i8 will drive these headphones. Yes, I think it'll be better than your MacBook Pro's output. I needed the Focusrite for the mic hookups and it served a dual purpose. Perfect for me. A crime to most here I'm sure.

I am grateful enough to own a pair of headphones where the DAC/AMP/Source matters. That means I'll need to step up my game in other areas. In due time. For today, this works! My Pioneer home theater receiver is also used with these often.

P.S. I'm next in line to take the P1 for a spin! =D

You mentioned that you just got an xDuoo amp from Massdrop. Which one? Is it the TA-01 hybrid tube amp? I almost bought one but I decided to go for the gusto and get an ifi iCAN SE next month. Let me know how you like your xDuoo amp. I'm curious. :)

May 4, 2017 at 11:40 AM Post #3,583 of 8,051
Hey buddy! Just go for the Audeze pads and paper towel, you can thank me later...

I would have added some context to your quote since I had no clue what you were referring to. Anyways, not sure if you saw this image but here are those pads. I didn't take a listen but you can see that compared to stock they would be bass light and might have too strong of a treble with a peak at 8kHz. Like a worse Hifiman basically...
9933030_l.png
Thanks @cskippy, you have saved me $10 :). I would avoid this at all cost since I love bass

May 4, 2017 at 11:46 AM Post #3,584 of 8,051
So I am looking for a headphone in or around $300 and so far I am looking at 1) HiFiMAN HE400S new for $300. 2)Monolith m1060 also for $300. 3)HiFiMan HE400i factory refurbished for $230.
Any suggestions? Even other headphones around this price range?

I've owned both Hifimans and both are great. But I do not miss either after buying the 1060s. IMO, neither Hifiman can match the bass quality or qty of the 1060 (106mm) driver. Then you can fine-tune the mids/his of the 1060s with the fairly straightforward mod options detailed in this thread. Assuming your 1060s arrives in good shape (my hunch is your odds are good with the latest batch) you will not regret choosing the Monoliths over the Hifimans. Also, if you're in the US, the monoprice 5 year warranty will make this purchase almost risk-free.

Last edited:
May 4, 2017 at 12:07 PM Post #3,585 of 8,051
Right now I would say yes to this from my initial listening, much prefered to stock sound and my preference over the Audeze microsuede pads. I am a decade long Denon/Fostex fanboy though...
So am I. but I'm a fan of about close to 20 years now where i started off with Fostex DIY speakers and Denon receivers. My first headphones Denon headphones though were the D2000's and prior to that were Sony's. :) It could be due to my age but I quite prefer stock pads and no towel/removed stock spongy thingy. Used it with nothing for about a month, now trying with just a thin piece of fabric glued to the underside of the grille. The bass is reduced but i'm enjoying the overall sound signature it has. I think my hearing has changed or taste in sound.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back