Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
May 2, 2017 at 2:55 PM Post #3,481 of 8,051
+1 my V2 does this too

so, what exactly did Monoprice fixed in terms of the headband/slider compared to V1?

In terms of the headband breaking, they've riveted the band rather than relying on clamping and crossed fingers (so I have read elsewhere). As far as the paint scratching, I haven't heard anything about a fix for that.

Last edited:
May 2, 2017 at 2:56 PM Post #3,482 of 8,051
+1 my V2 does this too

so, what exactly did Monoprice fixed in terms of the headband/slider compared to V1?

They riveted the headband to the metal piece so the headband won't slide out. A problem seen here.

It's actually a bummer for people like me who wanted to make a custom headband without voiding the warranty. So I had to wrap mine instead.

Last edited:
May 2, 2017 at 3:52 PM Post #3,483 of 8,051
hello guys !
can you compare that one for me with:
1. nighthawk's
2. meze 99
3. audiotechnica w1000z

Short review- bass/mids/trebles/soundstage and overall sounding (cold, warmth, neutral, dark etc... :))

May 2, 2017 at 4:11 PM Post #3,484 of 8,051
In terms of the headband breaking, they've riveted the band rather than relying on clamping and crossed fingers (so I have read elsewhere). As far as the paint scratching, I haven't heard anything about a fix for that.
They riveted the headband to the metal piece so the headband won't slide out. A problem seen here.

It's actually a bummer for people like me who wanted to make a custom headband without voiding the warranty. So I had to wrap mine instead.

my bad, i thought they fixed the paint scratching on the slider!

and thank you both for pointing out the change

May 2, 2017 at 4:15 PM Post #3,485 of 8,051
Just measurebating here, no clue how it sounds yet, but some interesting results with the HM5 pleather thus far.

Green=Stock, Blue=HM5 Pleather, Yellow=HM5 Pleather with a felt ring adhered to the bottom of the inner pad, and a hifiman ring to keep more rigid/spread.

how well does th hm5 pads fit these? i love the stock pads but can't stand the heat that builds in them

May 2, 2017 at 4:17 PM Post #3,486 of 8,051
May 2, 2017 at 4:20 PM Post #3,487 of 8,051
I've had the M560s for about a week courtesy of another Head-Fiers. They have a short in one ear cup so I'm returning them today. I've really enjoyed them in the open position. Still leaning towards the M1060s in lieu of the M560s. Build quality was great on the M560s though except for the connector problem (which could happen to any manufacturer). The M1060s are a big upgrade in sound right???

I should know Friday when my M1060s arrive. I've had the M560 for a couple of weeks already.

Honestly not a fan of my M560s. I fully expect the M1060 to be superior....

May 2, 2017 at 4:28 PM Post #3,488 of 8,051
After intently reading a third of this thread and a good part of the Dragonfly thread, on my front porch awaits both the M1060 and Dragonfly Red! Having absolutely *zero* planars experience and only Etymotic Research ER-4's and a pair of Sony MDR7506's to round out my "cans" experience, I'm really excited to get home... and felt it was enough to warrant me signing up for an account here on head-fi.

Impressions to follow!

May 2, 2017 at 4:57 PM Post #3,489 of 8,051
@MrTie84 Can you post stock M1060 pads, Audeze Vegan pads, and Brainwavz pads with no additional mods? So just the effect of the pad swap.

Thanks!

May 2, 2017 at 5:53 PM Post #3,490 of 8,051
@MrTie84 Can you post stock M1060 pads, Audeze Vegan pads, and Brainwavz pads with no additional mods? So just the effect of the pad swap.

Thanks!

No problem, Green= Stock, Pink=Vegan, Blue=Angled HM5 Pleather. Stock driver fabric filter removed on both pad swaps. damping is only stock foam in all three measurments.
SvVvHM5.jpg

May 2, 2017 at 5:59 PM Post #3,491 of 8,051
Cool. So Vegan is the least "n" shaped. Angled HM5 Pleather shifts the bump down to 1kHz but looses bass impact and slightly cleans up the treble.

Vegan still seems the best for an overall speaker like warm neutral presentation. Adding back damping such as paper towel or napkin will adjust how V shaped you want the sound to be.

May 2, 2017 at 6:12 PM Post #3,492 of 8,051
Yeah, I had no real plans for the pleather HM5 just happened to have it laying around. I don't know if it's my mic or the more sealed nature of the pleather but bass impact is noticeably more subjectively on the same tracks, even if I'm not showing it on the measurement , IDK it's weird. It does make me want to investigate their line further though. The pleather def needs more damping help to raise to the HF than the Vegan does, but in my previous posting despite measuring up to -6db than the Cskippy damping it sounds more lively. I wonder if this might be some kinda reflection/psycho-acoustic effect. Either way I'll keep plugging away and data dumping as I try new things

May 2, 2017 at 6:22 PM Post #3,493 of 8,051
I can almost guarantee that it's the internal reflections of the pad. Same reason people say the stock pad is bright even though treble takes a nose dive after 2kHz.

May 2, 2017 at 6:35 PM Post #3,494 of 8,051
That makes sense, I really like the bit of liveliness these add, which makes me all the more curious about the Hybrids/focuspads and how they would measure. Sad my local friend recently sold his HE-560 or I'd just burrow his pads.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back