Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
May 2, 2017 at 10:12 AM Post #3,466 of 8,051
So the ringing is gone with the vegan pads or just reduced?

cskippy is right. Ringing was a poor choice of words. But the mids stock have this weird quality where they sound echo-y for lack of better word. Anyway, it made listening to fast metal frustrating because the vocals and guitar just all blended together in a big mess. The vegans definitely take away 98% percent of that and give those high mids nice separation and more natural tone. That was really the only problem I had with the sound. Everything else sounded great. The vegans also make electronic music more enjoyable because it bolsters the bass and treble.

May 2, 2017 at 10:14 AM Post #3,467 of 8,051
Here's a dump on various damping using the the HM5 Pleather versus stock.

Green+stock, Purple=HM5 keeping the stock driver fabric, Blue= HM5 no front fabric, Teal= no front fabric+3"Paper Towel over stock foam, Orange= Felt ring inside HM5+Paper Towel over foam.
HM5Damping1.jpg

Green=Stock, Lavender= HM5/Felt Ring +Felt Square and Foam, Purple= HM5/Felt Ring+Felt Square, Paper Towel, Felt Disc, Aqua= HM5/Felt Ring+ Felt Square, Polyfil, Felt Disc, Gold= HM5/Felt Ring+ Felt Square, Polyfil, Paper Towel, Felt Disc.
HM5Damping2.jpg

May 2, 2017 at 10:24 AM Post #3,468 of 8,051
Intriguing stuff, especially since the HM5's are like a monoprice bargain compared to the Audeze vegans. Makes me wonder how well the non-pleather Brainwavz pads do.

Could you could post pics on how those oval HM5 pads sit on your 1060's?

1a.jpg

1b.jpg

I am using a Hifiman ring with the tabs pointed into the HM5 to give it a rounder shape and stiffen up the pad. It's just a tiny bit too small to cover the entire cup.

May 2, 2017 at 10:29 AM Post #3,469 of 8,051
To echo Cskippy and TheAngelBoy, the "ringing" on CSD/Waterfall is a measurement artifact related to the tension of a Planar Diaphragm(go ahead and look at any CSD of a planar and you'll find one, severity will vary), it's most likely NOT audible. However the dip & Peak directly preceding it IS very audible, and what most of us have been trying to kill along side the fat midrange overshoot after 1khz.

May 2, 2017 at 10:36 AM Post #3,470 of 8,051
I'm actually really curious how the Hybrid angled HM5 might measure also Focuspad/Focuspad A. I'm digging the sound I'm getting currently but pleather against skin is no bueno for me long term Velour/Microsude/Vegan is for ever comfort king for my little babysoft face.

May 2, 2017 at 10:47 AM Post #3,471 of 8,051
I'm actually really curious how the Hybrid angled HM5 might measure also Focuspad/Focuspad A. I'm digging the sound I'm getting currently but pleather against skin is no bueno for me long term Velour/Microsude/Vegan is for ever comfort king for my little babysoft face.

This was the main reason I got the vegans. Getting rid of nasty pleather in exchange for something not pleather. And that stock pleather pad is about as nice as pleather gets. The better sound was just an awesome side effect. :)

May 2, 2017 at 12:34 PM Post #3,472 of 8,051
I've had the M560s for about a week courtesy of another Head-Fiers. They have a short in one ear cup so I'm returning them today. I've really enjoyed them in the open position. Still leaning towards the M1060s in lieu of the M560s. Build quality was great on the M560s though except for the connector problem (which could happen to any manufacturer). The M1060s are a big upgrade in sound right???

May 2, 2017 at 1:44 PM Post #3,475 of 8,051
I've had the M560s for about a week courtesy of another Head-Fiers. They have a short in one ear cup so I'm returning them today. I've really enjoyed them in the open position. Still leaning towards the M1060s in lieu of the M560s. Build quality was great on the M560s though except for the connector problem (which could happen to any manufacturer). The M1060s are a big upgrade in sound right???

I had a buddy who had the M560's. I borrowed them for a week before he returned them. He wanted to get high quality planars. I didn't blame him. I have had the M1060's V2's now for almost a week and absolutely love them. I have the vegan pads coming, and did the paper towel mod already. Looking to get black napkins as others have since the white paper towel is a bit much to look at. =)

M1060 > M560

They're absolutely worth the extra $100.

May 2, 2017 at 2:04 PM Post #3,477 of 8,051
I had a buddy who had the M560's. I borrowed them for a week before he returned them. He wanted to get high quality planars. I didn't blame him. I have had the M1060's V2's now for almost a week and absolutely love them. I have the vegan pads coming, and did the paper towel mod already. Looking to get black napkins as others have since the white paper towel is a bit much to look at. =)

M1060 > M560

They're absolutely worth the extra $100.

Thanks for the feedback. It'll be more like an extra $170 though because the Vegan pads are apparently a must.

May 2, 2017 at 2:37 PM Post #3,479 of 8,051
Intriguing stuff, especially since the HM5's are like a monoprice bargain compared to the Audeze vegans. Makes me wonder how well the non-pleather Brainwavz pads do.

Could you could post pics on how those oval HM5 pads sit on your 1060's?

I am interested to know this as well. Vegan pads already ordered from B&H but they are on back order. I had experience with velour HM5 back in the day with M50 which killed the bass.

May 2, 2017 at 2:46 PM Post #3,480 of 8,051
I had experience with velour HM5 back in the day with M50 which killed the bass.
that is understandable when you swap for velour pads on closed back headphones because they rely on a tight seal to produce bass

where as open backs, does not rely on seal to create bass, so pad swapping to velour doesnt kill your bass

Users who are viewing this thread

Back