Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
May 1, 2017 at 3:13 PM Post #3,436 of 8,051
Do you happen to own an AVR with an audyssey measuring mic? I'm actuallying using that in a flatplater coupler and it's pretty good, though my sub3ohz is whackey and my 10khz+ seem a few db down from people using better calibrated mics.
hey I actually do! is there a link so I can learn more?

May 1, 2017 at 3:39 PM Post #3,437 of 8,051
Having a hard time justifying the $70 pads. [...] Wonder if there are some cheaper pad alternatives out there that no one has tried yet?
I know for sure I'm not going to spend that much extra, especially considering the shipping and taxes, or else the attractiveness of these goes right out the window for me. Current plan is to simply line the inner surface of the stock pads with some synthetic velvet(?) I've got lying around, if the sound still bothers me after trying some of the simpler rear-side mods. There should be more than enough room to add better materials to the inner surface of the stock pads, especially since I don't have particularly large ears.

#TrueModdersAreCheapskates

May 1, 2017 at 4:44 PM Post #3,438 of 8,051
Just received my rev 2 M1060 - must say that the 2.5mm feels a lot more solid than the MMCX connection... However I live in a very dry environment - would anyone recommend applying some finish to the wood to help with the cracking?

May 1, 2017 at 7:53 PM Post #3,441 of 8,051
I'm coming around more and more to these cans... took a break from bass heavy electronic/Vocaloid music and went into acoustical with some Hiroko Kokubu jazz....VERRRY NICE! Absolutely beautiful musicality listening to that acoustical piano&bass&percussion jazz. I think I will leave them as is and use them more for acoustic music and lighter/ more melodic electronica and use the TH-X00 PH's for the heavy electronic/Vocaloid stuff... :beyersmile:

Last edited:
May 1, 2017 at 8:37 PM Post #3,442 of 8,051
Now that some people have the V2 anyone AB tested with the he 500?

V2 sounds same as V1. I sold my 1060 to keep my HE-500. Mids on 1060 do not compare to the HE-500 IMO. The HE-500 is on another level for mids, better than basically anything else I've heard.

It will also be a matter of taste. HE-500 is a brighter headphone with more treble emphasis/sparkle, 1060 is warmer. My preference is the He-500, but it doesn't mean yours would be too. Amp choice will also make a difference, I think the HE-500 benefits more from a good high current amp.

Both cans are very good but their sound signatures are different.

Last edited:
May 1, 2017 at 9:03 PM Post #3,445 of 8,051
So the he 500 is brighter eh?
How's bass response between the two. (curious if it's less boring then my 558}

HE-500 is brighter for sure. 1060 has more bass. The HE-500 bass is very high quality IMO though, and I'm very much into bass and I find the 500 gives me enough... I have other more bassy headphones. The 1060 bass has more body and emphasis. It's a warmer, thicker sound.

May 1, 2017 at 10:47 PM Post #3,447 of 8,051
HE-500 is brighter for sure. 1060 has more bass. The HE-500 bass is very high quality IMO though, and I'm very much into bass and I find the 500 gives me enough... I have other more bassy headphones. The 1060 bass has more body and emphasis. It's a warmer, thicker sound.

I received the v2 and listened over the weekend. Plus I had it "breaking in" 24-7. It may have improved a bit, but I agree with the assessment that they have more "body" and bass emphasis. Overall, comparing them to my reference HD600s, they are colored in the bass -- slower as well. Mids are fine, but lack depth and detail. Highs are more effortless, but subdued and lacking in natural spatial cues, ambiance and ultimately sense of accurate 3D space. Also I think there are factors of resonance dampening and vibration that are not necessarily tuned in the assembly. I do hear frequencies out of control and creating non-linear effects elsewhere in the band. Overall the cans lack refinement.

I really wanted to like them, but they are going back now. BTW, the construction looks great, they feel good too. I hope they keep on improving all their line and eventually take on the big boys as far as my ears are concerned. The price is just killer.

JIm

May 1, 2017 at 11:57 PM Post #3,448 of 8,051
I'm still on the fence with the upper midrange -lower treble with these. There is a 5k peak, that much is clear, but I can't seem to pinpoint what it is that's 'grounding' violins on the M1060, if it's something around 4k or maybe just a lack of energy around 6k that isn't fleshing out some of the harmonic energy of certain instruments. There seems to be a healthy balance of mid-upper treble though.

I received the v2 and listened over the weekend. Plus I had it "breaking in" 24-7. It may have improved a bit, but I agree with the assessment that they have more "body" and bass emphasis. Overall, comparing them to my reference HD600s, they are colored in the bass -- slower as well.
JIm

HD600 isn't a good headphone for referencing bass performance. In addition, the upper midrange is kinda shouty, but the overall balance of midrange and treble is good though.

Last edited:
May 2, 2017 at 12:05 AM Post #3,449 of 8,051
Just received my rev 2 M1060 - must say that the 2.5mm feels a lot more solid than the MMCX connection... However I live in a very dry environment - would anyone recommend applying some finish to the wood to help with the cracking?
See post #3221

May 2, 2017 at 12:14 AM Post #3,450 of 8,051
I'm still on the fence with the upper midrange -lower treble with these. There is a 5k peak, that much is clear, but I can't seem to pinpoint what it is that's 'grounding' violins on the M1060, if it's something around 4k or maybe just a lack of energy around 6k that isn't fleshing out some of the harmonic energy of certain instruments. There seems to be a healthy balance of mid-upper treble though.

FWIW, I would have returned the M1060 stock even with paper towel. Audeze Pads are worth it, plus if you don't care for them, they sell easily in the classifieds plus I think @Mad Lust Envy uses them with his HE-400 and loves them so you could also try them on your Hifimans.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back