Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
May 1, 2017 at 1:44 AM Post #3,406 of 8,051
Green is stock pad, Yellow is Audeze pad, no paper towel.

9725603_l.png

Okay, so looks like sub bass loses a tiny amount below about 40 and then the Audeze pads lift the bass higher from stock from 40 + with a larger overall boost to treble then loss compared to the difference with stock.

Indeed I can imagine these are going to sound crazy analytical, so far stock sounded good with a 3db boost to 20, 30 and 40 and 63hz, and paper towel is about 2-3db depending.

I keep having trouble finding your old stuff with the lack of the search button, tried trawling through but no luck.

Paper Towel with stock pads brought out the bass and mids/highs, while sounding less dark and clearer than stock, kind of swung a little in the direction of the Fostex as far as overall fullness of sound - noticeably better and less stale/analytical compared to stock. Audeze microsuede swung it back towards a stock pad more analytical sound and I think reduced mids a little, but with better overall detail and precision. Again, this is my first listen with only a few songs on the Audeze microsuede pads. I do know I prefer the sound of the stock pads with the 3" dia paper towel mod over stock or the Audeze microsuede pads with paper towel mod for music listening.

Okay as the graph above indicates, makes sense.
Looking forward to trying them myself.

May 1, 2017 at 2:00 AM Post #3,410 of 8,051
Looks good! Any silver marks can easily be covered up with a Sharpie.
Good idea, sometimes it's the small things. :wink:

No ideas how to fix up the wood scratch? I am triggered, lol.

Here is stock M1060 vs full mods (Audeze Leather Free pads plus 3 inch diameter paper towel outside):

9731293_l.png

Looks good, that drop between 1-2khz is what everyone was talking about being annoying I assume?
Complete newb really, looks like the end result is mainly much more detail to the highs, so will likely need to use Dolby Headphone or add a couple db to the bass post-mods.

May 1, 2017 at 2:08 AM Post #3,411 of 8,051
I tailored the mods for my personal preferences. It's about as warm as an HD600 or HD650 but with planar bass which is different from dynamics and some don't like it. Planar bass excels at linearity, although I usually find it too lean in the mid bass area. That's why I wanted a downward slope to the frequency response.

There is a slight treble rise around 8kHz but you can see it's really broad so it integrates well with the rest of the frequency response. Some people might not like this sound. Others, like myself can't stand the M1060 stock. We all have different preferences, but this mod aims to make the M1060 more neutral but with a bass boost yet still retaining detail in the highs.

May 1, 2017 at 2:14 AM Post #3,412 of 8,051
I tailored the mods for my personal preferences. It's about as warm as an HD600 or HD650 but with planar bass which is different from dynamics and some don't like it. Planar bass excels at linearity, although I usually find it too lean in the mid bass area. That's why I wanted a downward slope to the frequency response.

There is a slight treble rise around 8kHz but you can see it's really broad so it integrates well with the rest of the frequency response. Some people might not like this sound. Others, like myself can't stand the M1060 stock. We all have different preferences, but this mod aims to make the M1060 more neutral but with a bass boost yet still retaining detail in the highs.

I have the same taste for rich detail, however I've always been huge on bass all my life, as I've gotten older I've appreciated less more suitable bass that compliments tracks, movies and game effects correctly.

I think finishing up with the vegans when they arrive and a couple db boost to all freqs below 60/80 will give me what I'm after. The paper towel mod is already very noticeable in the detail is moves closer, I feel like the paper towel / napkins kind of close the headphone a bit which allows a less airy and more in your head sound, which some can translate to hearing more information as less is washed out and filtered outside the cup.

Just a guess in my oh so professional opinion. :')

May 1, 2017 at 5:36 AM Post #3,416 of 8,051
Thanks! If the paper towel mod blew you away, you'll have wind burn after putting on the Audeze pads.

Agh, I'm so excited haha.

how do you get the dolby headphone dsp ?

The Dolby Headphone DSP is found on PC soundcards, and maybe some external solutions from Creative, although they have their own surround DSP so probably not.

I use the Asus Xonar Essence STX in my PC to send SPDIF to my home theatre amp / speakers and headphone jack for my headphones, works very well. :)

EDIT: Some PC gaming headsets have Dolby Headphone built inside them, such as the following:

• Astro Gaming A40 System
  • Astro Gaming A50 System
  • Logitech G430
  • Logitech G35
  • Plantronics GameCom Commander
  • Plantronics Gamecom 777
  • Plantronics Gamecom 780
  • Plantronics GameCom 788
  • Plantronics RIG 500E
  • Turtle Beach Systems Ear Force X41
  • Xbox Live Gaming Headset
  • Tritton Technologies AX720 Gaming Headset
  • Corsair HS1 USB Gaming Headset
  • Sennheiser PC 163D, PC 333D and PC 363D
  • SteelSeries Siberia Elite Prism
Purchasing a high end headphone and using it with a seperate Dolby Headphone DSP works amazingly well when the pairing is right.

The M1060 with the paper towel mod and DH2 setting (Pro Logic IIx also for 2ch content) blows away everything else so far, the Dolby Headphone surround emulation really takes advantage of the brilliant imaging and wide soundstage. :)

Last edited:
May 1, 2017 at 5:58 AM Post #3,418 of 8,051
I just got my M1060's! For any other Dutchies: I paid 360 dollars for the headphones+shipping and another 78 euro's to get them into the Netherlands. Will be trying them out tonight with the paper towel mod! Now I need my next paycheck to order the Vegan pads :p First impressions from phone listening (yes, even a phone can power them): much more detail in mids and highs compared to my fidelio X2's. Also less sibilance, which the X2's do have a little bit. I can't hear any 'ortho-wall' just yet. Less 'thick' bass than the X2 as well, but the extension in Dub songs is sick. I like the thickness though, so I hope the pad swapping and towel mod will bring that back a little! They would be mega then.

May 1, 2017 at 6:17 AM Post #3,419 of 8,051
So I've just completed the paper towel mod and Audeze microsuede pads swap - well, did the Paper towel mod only first, listened to a song, then the Audeze pad and listened to same song. Do like what the paper towel brings to the sound no matter the pad, but not so much the Audeze microsuede pads...think I prefer the stock pads over them. While not exactly what I was thinking it would be, I still do like the M1060. They are just more on the analytical, dry side than I was expecting them to be. Listened to the same song immediately afterwards on my TH-X00 PH's, and yep, those are EXACTLY what I love!

The M1060 lack that awesome bass and the warm, energetic, lively yet still clean and precise presentation of sound that the TH-X00 PH's give (Lawton Tune-up Kit + ZMF Ori equivalent lambskin pads with custom attenuator plates placed in back section of earpads). While a much more clinical sounding headphone, the M1060 is NOT boring sounding - and that's a good thing! I really think it's a planar thing for me, just prefer that Fostex Biodyna driver to most anything else really and the planars I have heard just never did anything for me. STAX Lamda series electrostatics on the other hand, those are special to me and I'll eventually get one (SR-L500 most likely).

Overall I do like what the M1060 bring - they would be what I would consider my neutral reference cans now I guess; they are as neutral a can as I have and like, and I did want to have a planar headphone in my setup that I liked, which I do with them. I am thinking about trying the Audeze lambskin pads though...should be more my preference based on the stock vs Audeze microsuede pads. Would be nice to get that magnetic setup to swap between pads depending on listening needs, it's nice to be able to swap pads and taylor the sound as needed for mood/criteria needs (say from a more reference need [like Z's sound demos for example...] to a more normal listening/jamming to the music collection.)
Just wanted to say, I pretty much agree with your assessment. I think the M1060 is closer in overall quality to PH than you seem to, but yes, I enjoy my Purplehearts more. Especially with ZMF pads and Lawton kit installed :) I don't have an attenuator ring in mine yet, but I intend to rectify that as soon as I can.

When it comes to price, M1060 is a freakin' steal at $300, IMO. Purplehearts are a good deal at their $450 price, but (besides the absolutely gorgeous wood cups), you're not getting 150% of what M1060 brings.

My Purplehearts were the basshead pairing counterpart to my Stax before I purchased M1060; and they still are. I'm in no way sorry I purchased M1060 however, I do love them for what they are and they're too good a deal to pass up!

*edit* @VRacer-111 also, I haven't gotten around to it, but the last step of my Purpleheart mods will be to try the EZ Mods.

https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/t...re-bass-mid-soundstage-smooth-trebles.802704/

Last edited:
May 1, 2017 at 10:25 AM Post #3,420 of 8,051
Anyone here a fan of stock pads with paper towel mod only?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back