Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Apr 27, 2017 at 1:41 AM Post #3,227 of 8,051
can we use hifiman 2.5mm cables on this or is it a different type?
I'd like to know too, but it looks more like a dual mono to stereo connector, like the HD 700

Apr 27, 2017 at 1:41 AM Post #3,228 of 8,051
got my new m1060 today. a little disappointed about its dark and DULL sound comparing to my LCD2 and h400i.
I felt m1060 has less clarity in vocal, less separation of instruments and smaller soundstage.
I really wish m1060 has more sparkle at high frequency.
The metal string of guitars on my LCD2 and H400i just sound more real because of better dynamics and clarity in hight notes.
will give it more time to open up the sound and try the paper towel mod later.

Apr 27, 2017 at 1:46 AM Post #3,229 of 8,051
My M1060's just got delivered, the UPS ETA for the CHEAPEST shipping went from Wednesday the 3rd next week, to Monday the 1st next week, to Thursday the 27th this week (today and now Australia time), ****ing dope as!

Pretty crazy considering it's from America to Australia and arrived in 4 days.. :astonished:

I can already tell I'm going to be disappointed, my excitement is way too high, lmao.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2017 at 2:29 AM Post #3,231 of 8,051
got my new m1060 today. a little disappointed about its dark and DULL sound comparing to my LCD2 and h400i.
I felt m1060 has less clarity in vocal, less separation of instruments and smaller soundstage.
The metal string of guitars on my LCD2 and H400i just sound more real because of better dynamics and clarity in hight notes.

The sound on mine (first Gen) changed dramatically after I burned them in on a cheap receiver with bass and treble turned up on a FM station quite loud. Covered it with a pillow and let it cook for a day or two.
Worked wonders,

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2017 at 3:20 AM Post #3,232 of 8,051
IMG_20170427_170404.jpg
IMG_20170427_170414.jpg
IMG_20170427_170421.jpg

I will write up some impressions if anybody is interested once I've had more time with them, so far impressions are absolutely phenomenal in all realms of clarity and bass, and I had the Fidelio X2's beforehand.

I use my headphones for Music, Movies and Games.

Stay posted.

/excitement

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2017 at 4:08 AM Post #3,233 of 8,051
I will write up some impressions if anybody is interested once I've had more time with them, so far impressions are absolutely phenomenal in all realms of clarity and bass, and I had the Fidelio X2's beforehand.

I use my headphones for Music, Movies and Games.

Stay posted.

/excitement

Would love to know hear your impressions

Apr 27, 2017 at 4:11 AM Post #3,234 of 8,051
Mine have been delayed because of bad weather, I have rang UPS and they tell me import tax to the UK is £70 for anyone who was thinking of buying from here.

Apr 27, 2017 at 8:15 AM Post #3,235 of 8,051
I'd like to know too, but it looks more like a dual mono to stereo connector, like the HD 700

I know that Hifiman uses 2.5mm TRS plugs, rather than TS plugs, but the question would be whether they're actually wired as stereo. I think people have used Hifiman cables with the Nighthawks, which also come with a 2 x 2.5mm TS cable like the M1060s, so I suspect you might be fine using a Hifiman cable

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2017 at 9:08 AM Post #3,236 of 8,051
@cskippy

I have some questions..

I have been playing and listening to my M1060 stock today, received it earlier this afternoon, it's been about 5 hours now and I'm quite enjoying the sound and am curious how the mods affect the sound as the Vegan Pads will cost me $120.00 to get to me in Australia.

Since you modded have you got any latest revisions on the mods?

What do the vegan pads do for the sound signature?

What does the paper towel do for the sound signature?
(From what I can see it adds a smidge more low end and straightens out the highs a bit?)

Black paper towels wouldn't effect the mod given changes possibly in the fibres?
(I'm probably thinking too indepth now, lol..)

Cheers.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2017 at 9:10 AM Post #3,237 of 8,051
Haha, got my notification message too, sarcastically giggled at it knowing I could've ordered on 3 seperate occasions before I got it.
Yeah, I got it too, at last. :))) But hey, they never said when their e-mails were coming back in stock so they could ship them out. :p

Now if only the buying off their website could slow down enough for them to start putting some units up on eBay or Amazon, with international-international shipping...

am I the only one who pronounces PLANAR as PLANE-nERR and not PLANE-nARRR (like a pirate)? I am an engineer, and we always learned to say Planar as Plane-er in all my studies and professional career.
TBH both of these sound OK to me, but the one that really grated my eardrums the single time I heard it in a YouTube video was a guy pronouncing it like "planner". What? Headphones that plan out my day? :) Well, I guess you could call them that if they're so good you can't put them down and get stuck listening to them all day. :p

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2017 at 10:03 AM Post #3,239 of 8,051
Looks like you did a really nice job cutting a neatly "circular" circle. :darthsmile:
I will be very curious to hear your impressions before and after the paper towel + vegan pads mod.

I originally ordered the vegans but because I'm in Australia they cost me $120.
I cancelled the order to judge first what I think of the sound and let it burn in and decide if I want to mod them.

Also it seems popular to gain the bass by 2-4db amongst the M1060 users, likely I'll be doing the same.

Did the paper towel affect the bass at all do you think, or just the highs?

Thank you! I used a roll of tape as the template and traced the circle with a pencil before cutting it out. The paper towel affects the highs the most IMO. It does add a touch of sub bass, I think, but that might just be my mind playing tricks. It's a definite improvement, though. I'm pretty sure that's what cskippy said as well.

I thought the same thing when I first heard it. I'm coming from very aggressive treble cans (HE-400, modded T20-RP, DT990 PRO, DT770, ATH-M50). But burn in and the paper towel circle really does help the top sparkle more, to the point that I was really enjoying the detail last night. I will write up impressions of it with the vegans when I get them, but I'm pretty sure it will improve it further. Bottom line: It gets better. :)

Apr 27, 2017 at 10:13 AM Post #3,240 of 8,051
Should we reoil the insides at all on a regular basis?

Although I don't have rev 1's I do have a wood cutting board at home that I put conditioner on when the wood starts loosing it's luster. If I had rev 1's I would consider some timeline to go in and oil them. Maybe once every 6 months? Maybe go in and check them out every month to see if they appear dried out and apply more? If it's anything like my cutting board (i.e. we're talking wood here) then it should be visually apparent. When freshly oiled wood has my color saturation, more luster. When it dries out it looses that luster. Not sure if this is an apples to apples comparison and I am sure someone more knowledgable will put me in place here but that's my 2 cents. =)

Cheers,
Frank

Users who are viewing this thread

Back